Physically Unable to Perform: Which exercises, why?

Options
I'm an early middle-aged guy (43) and since getting back in the gym, I've found there are a few exercise that I used to do, that now cause pain and avoid.

Specifically, Upright Barbell Rows and Lat Pull-downs.(Lat pull-downs are terrible for how they position your shoulders anyway.)

Are there exercises that you've found, that now you are older, that you are unable to perform? And if you are older like me, how much do you like the foam roller? I bought one for home. Never needed anything like that a decade ago.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have to modify a few exercises due to a wrist that doesn't bend backwards, but otherwise I am able to do all the exercises.

Just curious, what part of your shoulders hurts during pull downs and can u do pull ups?
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and anything involving arching my spine causes me pain. I stick to spinning classes to avoid public humiliation and embarassment :cry: :angry: :embarassed:
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what part of your shoulders hurts during pull downs and can u do pull ups?
    It was during one of my breaks from the gym (not this last one, the one prior) that I went in reckless and tried the pull-down and bam! pain in the upper right part of the shoulder around the suprapinatus area. It's never been the same since then and if I sit wrong at my desk (office drone 50 hours a week or more) I will aggravate it.

Otherwise, all other movements are good. Pullups, chin-ups, barbell rows, t-bar rows, low cable rows, face pulls, are good/pain free. I do get some pain performing Behind-the-neck Barbell Military presses, but I don't really need to do those so I don't.
    I have to modify a few exercises due to a wrist that doesn't bend backwards, but otherwise I am able to do all the exercises.
    What happened? Which exercises have you modified?
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    ...anything involving arching my spine causes me pain. I stick to spinning classes to avoid public humiliation and embarassment :cry: :angry: :embarassed:
    That sounds dreadful! Why do you feel humiliated and embarrassed? You shouldn't.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am a foam rolling believer. I wish I had known about them a decade ago, whether I needed it or not. Doing a yoga class one a week has always helped me to remain virtually pain free and bounding about like a spring chicken. I'm 46, btw.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Were you doing the pull down in front of the neck or behind? I've never heard concern before about mechanical issues in front - but have lots behind.

Personally, I struggle with pulling exercises. My forearms have developed a tendancy to get teondonitis - sometimes I can't even tell what caused it. At 52 years old, I'm not sure what has changed. All other areas are fine.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, all other movements are good. Pullups, chin-ups, barbell rows, t-bar rows, low cable rows, face pulls, are good/pain free. I do get some pain performing Behind-the-neck Barbell Military presses, but I don't really need to do those so I don't.

Still not getting how you can do a pull-up with no pain but not a lat pull-down. It's the same movement. Unless you were doing the behind-the-neck kind in which case those are bad, bad, bad!! I've had several people tell me to never do those simply because they pretty much punish the rotator cuff and it causes your scapula to rub against each other.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Were you doing the pull down in front of the neck or behind? I've never heard concern before about mechanical issues in front - but have lots behind.
    Oddly enough, it was in front that I sustained the injury. I always used to do that movement behind the neck, but changed positions after reading about how you shouldn't do it behind the neck. I was around 35 when this happened.

When I used to pull behind the neck, my form was much different. Back arched (like I was doing a barbell row) maneuvering the shoulder into a more neutral position for me. (I have very wide shoulders and they were wide pre-weight training.) Also, for me, I could never get a good squeeze on the lat pulling in front of me.

Also, with this exercise, I concentrated more on the eccentric phase about a 6-8 second count resisting the weight all the way down.

But considering that cable movements are limited by the weight installed on them, you can only develop so much strength and muscle anyway.
  • civilizedworm
    Options

Still not getting how you can do a pull-up with no pain but not a lat pull-down. It's the same movement. Unless you were doing the behind-the-neck kind in which case those are bad, bad, bad!! I've had several people tell me to never do those simply because they pretty much punish the rotator cuff and it causes your scapula to rub against each other.
    I somewhat disagree. Pullups and lat pull downs are not the same movement. Well, at least not exactly. On a pull-up you can alter your trunk, changing what force is applied to the shoulder whether in front or behind. In a pull-down you're locked in that position.

I do agree with you that you can damage the rotator cuff doing the movement behind you.

Either way I can't do the pull-down. Pull-ups are by far easier on the shoulders for me,
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Most tricep exercises are out for me- or I have to do with insanely light weight (read- useless weights)- so I just mostly skip them.

Left elbow was broken as a child- then same elbow dislocated in college. Right elbow was put into a solid key lock arm hold and something snapped/tore- not significant enough for me to go to the doctor- but at the time I was unaware of the fact that I trashed my elbow- so any work that loads the elbow at an acute angle (i.e.- most tricep exercises) cause me grief/pain- on both sides.

lame. seriously.. lame.

Tricep weakness is holding my bench back and I know it. sucks.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i get some mild pain in my left shoulder doing OHP and upright rows hurt my wrists a bit but not enough to stop me from doing them

FYI OP, you shouldnt go above your nipples with the bar during upright rows, pretty sure theres some evidence that it can lead to injury if you pull up too high
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Left elbow was broken as a child- then same elbow dislocated in college. Right elbow was put into a solid key lock arm hold and something snapped/tore- not significant enough for me to go to the doctor- but at the time I was unaware of the fact that I trashed my elbow- so any work that loads the elbow at an acute angle (i.e.- most tricep exercises) cause me grief/pain- on both sides.
    I'm am wincing at that. Yikes. As a matter of degrees, that is much worse than a little should pain I feel. However you've accomplished quite a bit (in the history of understatement that's an epic understatement) despite that so cheers!
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    i get some mild pain in my left shoulder doing OHP and upright rows hurt my wrists a bit but not enough to stop me from doing them
    You too with upright rows? It's not my wrists, its my left elbow. I've tried positioning my wrists differently, changing stance and how I hold my shoulders to no avail.
    FYI OP, you shouldnt go above your nipples with the bar during upright rows, pretty sure theres some evidence that it can lead to injury if you pull up too high
    Thanks for the tip - I appreciate it. Upright rows are one of those movements where the training advice is all over the place. Pull-up to your neck is usually the direction that I've seen.

In fact, I was pulling up to base of my neck, but rather light (95 pounds only as I SS with barbell shrugs). Maybe I will let it heal for a few weeks and try agin, or just abandon it since I only do upright rows as fill between barbell shrugs anyway.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks. I've had twins.......I will piss myself lol
  • vballstlgirl
    vballstlgirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    At a relatively youngish 35 deadlifts are my nemesis for injury. I work with a trainer who watches me like a hawk when I do them, yet I still manage to screw something up in my back. Going to a chiro now for e-stem and ice on it. I really like deadlifts I just hate injuring myself!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I somewhat disagree. Pullups and lat pull downs are not the same movement. Well, at least not exactly. On a pull-up you can alter your trunk, changing what force is applied to the shoulder whether in front or behind. In a pull-down you're locked in that position.

I do agree with you that you can damage the rotator cuff doing the movement behind you.

Either way I can't do the pull-down. Pull-ups are by far easier on the shoulders for me,

I guess I meant in terms of what muscles they are hitting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm am wincing at that. Yikes. As a matter of degrees, that is much worse than a little should pain I feel. However you've accomplished quite a bit (in the history of understatement that's an epic understatement) despite that so cheers!

LOL thanks- it's gotten better with better more structured training- but it's still a limiting factor grumble.
    You too with upright rows? It's not my wrists, its my left elbow. I've tried positioning my wrists differently, changing stance and how I hold my shoulders to no avail.
    I have problems with up right rows too- which is why I just don't do them- I don't feel like I have any gapping holes in my body composition that an up right row will fix- I do face pulls- or a variation that's lower so it's more lat oriented- but yeah- I just can't get down with up right rows- to much risk with the shoulders- add on weird elbow issues- it's just a bad combination- so I just don't do them. not worth pain- so many other variations to do!!!

I like over head pulls (laying down with the weight) just hits so much stuff... it's a good over all pull to include. Think its' why I tend to skip little niggling things like up right row. :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I have the same thing. I can do weighted pull/chin ups no problem.

But lat-pulldowns will freak my dodgy shoulder out every time.
  • bonnyblackhare
    Options
    I can't do certain leg lifts such as those in reverse sit ups because my right hip will pop and click due to a dislocation injury when I was a teen. Doesn't hurt any but the crunching, popping, and clicking feel like a bad idea when it happens. *laughs*
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    close-grip curls, I had an injury to my right wrist a few years back and it's been very slow recovering. Wide-grip and hammer curls are no problem though. Since my herniated disk 3 years ago my deadlifts also REALLY suck, but somewhat because I'm still a bit afraid of going heavy on them.