Training for LONG Bike Trek

Options
Hi There :)

One of my goals for the New Year is to ride in a 1400 km bike trek (over 10 days) to help to raise money for Celiac Disease research. My son was diagnosed with Celiac Disease after he was failing to thrive at about 15 months old. We nearly lost him and awareness and research around his disease is very VERY important to me. Last year the trek was cancelled due to lack of participating bikers, I dont want that to happen again this year. I would like to start conditioning myself to be able to handle this (I have NO idea what to expect, I have not ever done anything like this before). For those familiar with Western Canada, the ride is from Victoria BC to Edmonton Alberta, which means that there will be MOUNTAINS. Currently my endurance cardio-wise is not phenomenal, I have a lot of work ahead of me. I just need to know where to start, and whether there is any hope in hell that I will be ready by August (its the 4th-14th)
Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you :)
Nat

Replies

• tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    There is a book by a lady professional cyclist about getting ready for your first Century Ride. She wrote it to train her brother for his first ride and the principles in it are excellent for any conditioning problem. I'll look up the exact name when I get home.

A yahoo search for century ride training shows A LOT of articles. Remember to train your bike as well!
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'd love to know what that book is! I'll order it today! I'd love to be out biking all of the time to start working on it now, but there is over a foot of snow on the ground. Frusterating but that's alberta I guess!
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have no clue or experience in this but from what I can figure is 80 miles a day breaks down from what I would think to roughly about 8 to 10hrs a day on the bike. I would have to think if you really wanted to do this for your kid I would say get a bike and trainer and get started!!!! Its going to be hard but I say go for it. If I was near the area I would love to try something like that. I am in the same boat. No clue if I could but the will power of myself and the reason we are riding you do your best and get out there and get it done. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!!! You have been threw harder issues and you got a year to get ready I say what the hell try it.
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    This is going to great, keep us posted!
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    From Barnes and Nobles website:

"Bicycling Magazine's Century Training Program : 100 Days to 100 Miles
    by: Marla Streb

...List Price: $14.95
    Online Price: $10.52
    ......16 used from $1.99"

The same principles can be used for longer rides as you will not be riding more than 100 miles a day. You might want to read up on how people recuperate at night on some of the other week long rides such as GOBA and RAGBRAI.
  • GFPeggy11
    Options
    I wish I could bike with you. I am currently self testing for Celieac. Good luck, and good for you!!!