Hammer Strength Machines

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
So. Started at a new gym and part of my sign up was some PT sessions. I stated I want to life heavy and he encourged this. But instead of doing free weights he had me use two different machines I've not had experience with. Both Hammer strength, one was a squat machine. I got perfect form with this machine something I've never really achieved before.

The other was a machine that had me do an overhead press but two levers.

Are these good machines to use? I've never seen then before so a bit confused.

Replies

• ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I rotate in a number of Hammer strength machines for different workout splits. I find most of them replicate the intended motion fairly well with decent range. They are not a substition for compound barbell/dumbbell exercises. I add them in as an additional exercise in the rotation.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Machines have a place but you really don't need a pt to teach you how to use them. Use your sessions to learn how to use free weights
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If I ever got to the point where all I could use were machines, then I would use Hammer Strength machines (plate-loaded machines that is). Years back I actually found the Hammer Strength Hack Squat machine to be a good rehab substitute for squatting, the range of motion on it was really good. DavPul is right, use the time with the trainer to learn some free weight exercises; the machines shouldn't need any instruction really.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hammer strength machines are better than most machines IMO but you shouldn't base your training around them. It would be more beneficial for you to start learning the barbell lifts as time and practice under the bar are the only ways you'll ever get the lifts down. Recommending machines instead of barbells is something that a lazy or unknowledgeable trainer would do.