Good on my diet all day until evening...help?

Options
I do just fine on my diet during the day while I'm out and about, in class, or doing homework. But in the evening time, after I eat dinner, I crave everything. I'm typically not even hungry, but that's when my craving come into play. I usually will have a serving of ice cream or a Skinny Cow candy, but that never seems to satisfy me. I just want more. On my way home from my boyfriends, I'm tempted to drive through Wendy's for a frosty or a baconator (even though I never have, Thank God).

Does anyone else face a similar problem? How do you cope with it or get the feelings to go away?

I try to just drink water and hope that my body will adjust soon enough, but it has yet to happen.

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say is maybe allot yourself a few extra calories, so you can have the single serving of ice cream and the Skinny Cow candy.

I make sure that I have enough calories so I can have something salty (now BBQ chips) and something sweet (now BarkThins Dark Chocolate with Pretzels or Dark Chocolate with Almonds).

There is no sin in eating at night. I love eating at night. It makes me happy. But I have the calories to do it.

Just keep doing what you are doing. From your ticker, you're obviously doing something right.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    this was 100% me, until i tried IF it was a big problem. now that i do intermittent fasting i can afford a little indulgence at night since i dont eat much during the day
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    how active are you? how much are you eating to start with?
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I keep my hands and brain focused on something that I don't eat during such as dungeon runs in WoW etc. Since I heal I'm not just paying attention to just me there is 4 other people + their pets, dispels that are my responsibility, where the boss is and my placement relative to him and the tank, and even the stupid floor. So no time to eat it works well. That being said cravings have never been a big issue for me I've always been one if its a minor craving eh wait a week or so if I still want it its legit and not just boredom and I figure out how to make it work with my macros one day.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating a bit more - especially protein - earlier in the day? I tend to find that if I've eaten a good meal at breakfast and lunch I'm less likely to want to eat everything in sight in the evenings. Alternatively, see if it's a timing thing. If I'm too busy to eat until after 8-ish, I'm generally much less hungry/experience fewer cravings, than if I eat dinner earlier in the evening.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I do just fine on my diet during the day while I'm out and about, in class, or doing homework. But in the evening time, after I eat dinner, I crave everything. I'm typically not even hungry, but that's when my craving come into play. I usually will have a serving of ice cream or a Skinny Cow candy, but that never seems to satisfy me. I just want more. On my way home from my boyfriends, I'm tempted to drive through Wendy's for a frosty or a baconator (even though I never have, Thank God).

Does anyone else face a similar problem? How do you cope with it or get the feelings to go away?

I try to just drink water and hope that my body will adjust soon enough, but it has yet to happen.
    Are you over restricting your 'diet'? IS your calorie goal to low. You only have a small amount to lose so you really should have a small deficit so mfp need to be set to .5 pound a week

Have a look at the link and see if you've set your goals to a manageable level

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • summer92008
    Options
    Stats:

20 years old
    5'6'' tall
    Female
    Starting Weight - 149
    Current Weight - 139.6

I'm eating around 1,200 calories a day. This is really the only way I can see progress. Upping it to 1,500 a day did nothing for me, really.

I am pretty sedentary. I used to walk about 5 miles every morning, but my dad has recently been diagnosed with being in the severe stage of dementia. I live with him and my mom while I go to college. He can't be left alone, and since my mom works 40 hrs a week, I don't have much time to exercise. I have learned, however, that I am losing just as much weight only eating 1,200 calories as eating 1,200 calories and walking every morning.
  • summer92008
    Options
    I need to readjust my ticker. I'm around 10 lbs down, actually. I thought 15 lbs would be good for me, but now that I'm here, I see that I can probably afford to lose another 10 lbs.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Stats:

20 years old
    5'6'' tall
    Female
    Starting Weight - 149
    Current Weight - 139.6

I'm eating around 1,200 calories a day. This is really the only way I can see progress. Upping it to 1,500 a day did nothing for me, really.

I am pretty sedentary. I used to walk about 5 miles every morning, but my dad has recently been diagnosed with being in the sever stage of dementia. I live with him and my mom while I go to college. He can't be left alone, and since my mom works 40 hrs a week, I don't have much time to exercise. I have learned, however, that I am losing just as much weight only eating 1,200 calories as eating 1,200 calories and walking every morning.
    how long did you try the 1500 calories before you gave up on it?
    are you accurately logging?
    are you weighing your foods? everything?
    are you eating back any exercise calories?
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea with truvia (or nothing) to sweeten it. I also try to keep junk food on the top shelf....when its right out of my eyesight it really seems to help so I don't grab for it.
  • summer92008
    Options
    Stats:

20 years old
    5'6'' tall
    Female
    Starting Weight - 149
    Current Weight - 139.6

I am pretty sedentary. I used to walk about 5 miles every morning, but my dad has recently been diagnosed with being in the sever stage of dementia. I live with him and my mom while I go to college. He can't be left alone, and since my mom works 40 hrs a week, I don't have much time to exercise. I have learned, however, that I am losing just as much weight only eating 1,200 calories as eating 1,200 calories and walking every morning.

I tried 1,500 calories for probably 2 weeks. Around that. I don't know if it really affected my weight any. When I said did nothing for me, I meant hunger wise. It didn't make me less hungry or more content with those 300 extra calories a day. I feel just the same hunger wise eating 1,200 calories and feel better at the end of the day because I know I haven't overeaten.
    Yes, I am accurately logging and weighing/measuring my foods.
    And when I do exercise, I do not eat back exercise calories.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Stats:

20 years old
    5'6'' tall
    Female
    Starting Weight - 149
    Current Weight - 139.6

I tried 1,500 calories for probably 2 weeks. Around that. I don't know if it really affected my weight any. When I said did nothing for me, I meant hunger wise. It didn't make me less hungry or more content with those 300 extra calories a day. I feel just the same hunger wise eating 1,200 calories and feel better at the end of the day because I know I haven't overeaten.
    it takes the body much longer than 2 weeks to adjust to any change in regular intake. switch back to 1500, eat enough protein/fats/fiber to keep you more satiated.

then check again in 6 weeks, not 2.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I go between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. I find if I eat protein and veggies for breakfast and lunch and a good dinner that has a good amount of protein in it I don't have cravings in the evening.
    If I have too many carbs during the day I have sweet cravings at night.

Sorry about your Father. You have a lot to take care of. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • summer92008
    Options
    I go between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. I find if I eat protein and veggies for breakfast and lunch and a good dinner that has a good amount of protein in it I don't have cravings in the evening.
    If I have too many carbs during the day I have sweet cravings at night.

Sorry about your Father. You have a lot to take care of. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Thank You.
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm similar, and to stop it I try and eat a healthy snack in the late afternoon, or just after work so that I can eat my evening meal a little later - say 8pm rather than 7pm, this way I don't have the late night cravings as much. You of course could do it the other way around have a healthy low can snack planned for when you get cravings.

Other than that, it's good to keep your brain and hands active - I try to do something whilst watching TV - a craft or a hobby would be good. It keeps my mind away from the temptation of going to the shop for chocolate.

Sometimes though, you just need a snack!
  • summer92008
    Options
    Stats:

20 years old
    5'6'' tall
    Female
    Starting Weight - 149
    Current Weight - 139.6

it takes the body much longer than 2 weeks to adjust to any change in regular intake. switch back to 1500, eat enough protein/fats/fiber to keep you more satiated.

I completely understand where you're coming from, and you're probably right. But my thought process just doesn't allow it.
    I feel like if I'm gonna be miserable for the next 6 weeks either way while my body is adjusting, I may as well be miserable with 300 less calories. I just can't entertain the idea of eating more calories and slowing down progress. Seeing a slower weight loss would really discourage me. Maybe in a while I will be able to up my calories and be mentally content with it, but right now I would beat myself up about it too much.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I assume your mom is back home in the evening, go for a walk then, if you are away from the food then you cant eat it.

Other than that the best way to prevent boredom hunger is to not let yourself get bored.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Stats:

20 years old
    5'6'' tall
    Female
    Starting Weight - 149
    Current Weight - 139.6

I completely understand where you're coming from, and you're probably right. But my thought process just doesn't allow it.
    I feel like if I'm gonna be miserable for the next 6 weeks either way while my body is adjusting, I may as well be miserable with 300 less calories. I just can't entertain the idea of eating more calories and slowing down progress. Seeing a slower weight loss would really discourage me. Maybe in a while I will be able to up my calories and be mentally content with it, but right now I would beat myself up about it too much.
    then this isn't a weight issue, it's a perception issue.

this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Why not eat as much as you can and still lose, than posting here about eating only 1200 and having mad cravings because you're probably not eating enough to start with?

Here's a thought:

you were losing already on the 1500 and still saying you were hungry. the weight you lost then was from the deficit that you had at 1500 calories.

when you set up your account on here, it should've given you the option to choose a few things. so you're convinced your sedentary. MFP shouldn't allow you to choose the most aggressive (2lb per week) loss options.. that's how you, as a 20 year old, got the 1200 goal.

from here, it's up to you to gather your own information.

will you lose at 1200? probably. Will it be enjoyable? doubt it.
    will you lose at 1500? just about guaranteed. Will you be able to get more food for the extra 300 calories? yup. you will.

300 more calories could make the difference in whether or not you're feeling run down and having cravings.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Stats:

20 years old
    5'6'' tall
    Female
    Starting Weight - 149
    Current Weight - 139.6

Then after 6 weeks you go back to eating the way you were and gain it all back. You need to learn to eat at a level where you can then maintain.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Stats:

20 years old
    5'6'' tall
    Female
    Starting Weight - 149
    Current Weight - 139.6

then this isn't a weight issue, it's a perception issue.

this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Why not eat as much as you can and still lose, than posting here about eating only 1200 and having mad cravings because you're probably not eating enough to start with?

Here's a thought:

you were losing already on the 1500 and still saying you were hungry. the weight you lost then was from the deficit that you had at 1500 calories.

when you set up your account on here, it should've given you the option to choose a few things. so you're convinced your sedentary. MFP shouldn't allow you to choose the most aggressive (2lb per week) loss options.. that's how you, as a 20 year old, got the 1200 goal.

from here, it's up to you to gather your own information.

will you lose at 1200? probably. Will it be enjoyable? doubt it.
    will you lose at 1500? just about guaranteed. Will you be able to get more food for the extra 300 calories? yup. you will.

300 more calories could make the difference in whether or not you're feeling run down and having cravings.

If you had those extra 300 calories, you would be able to have that snack at night without feeling guilty because it would fall into your calorie goal.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your father. But he's very lucky to have such a loving and dedicated daughter.