Is it okay to run with a chronic back pain from an injury?

Options
Hi everyone.

I am looking to start running again, since injuring my back I have been very hesitant and haven't been very active mostly because I fear irritating my back or just simply the fear of being in more pain. Anyone have tips and stories to share on how they keep active with pain of a disc/lower back injury? Or some other types of exercises that will relieve the pressure in the lower back?

Thanks and look forward to hearing from everyone
(sorry for the grammatical error in the title, It doesn't seem I can edit it LOL)

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I would definitely discuss any exercise program with your doctor before starting. I have a friend with an injured disc in her lower back and doc will not allow her to run. Good luck.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    How did you injure your disc? I injured my lower back a year and a half back. Running used to aggravate it quite a bit but at this point I can basically do any type of exercise except ones that put my back into direct flextion (crunches and certain bent over lifts). As for how I rehabbed, I started by doing McGill's big 3 (google that). It's a great way to strengthen your core which helps tremendously with lower back pain/injuries. I put out a few YouTube videos on my back injury and how I went about training and rehabbing if you care to watch: http://youtu.be/p607FvClNgg

You really should consult with a doctor or exercise physiologist, or some kind of professional before you start doing any new types of exercise though!
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been a regular at the doctor's office, physiotherapy, chiropractor and oestopaths and I gotta tell ya, nobody can seem to fix me, I have been left to my own devices at this point and frustration is taking over. I am seeing my family doctor again next Monday so I will definitely get an okay from her before doing anything strenuous.

I have purchased a home gym with a power tower built in and leg lifting has definitely helped me as far as replacing any kind of sit up but I'm more concerned with the impact of running as my cardio has gone down the crapper since this injury.

Thank you :)
  • mave34
    Options
    Thank you vismal, I will check those out :) My injury was work related, a lift and a turn in the wrong way and have been in chronic pain for three years. Slipped a disc and never fully rehabilitate from this. Xrays are fine so it's definitely a muscle/tissue thing. I have been running off and on in between the highs and lows of the pain, I do have times when i feel somewhat normal, but I do know I feel much closer to normal when exercise is involved. This is very much why I'm itching to get back into my runners.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Glad you're going to check in with a doctor before you get going.

I have inherited back problems. I love to run, but when my spine says stop I stop. Walking is easier to do every day without issues. I find swimming is usually even better than just walking (and more fun than plodding along some days!). But every now and then that will aggravate it, too, I think it's when I get all goofy and playful and twist around a lot. So beware of that.

My biggest trigger is actually weights. I have to be extremely careful when I bend to pick up my 15 pound ones from the floor not to twist or jerk in any way. Something about bending while picking up something heavy really tears it up. Same with laundry baskets.
  • mave34
    Options
    Meerataila, that sounds exactly like my day to day. I have programmed myself to move a certain way and in a certain speed. Getting out of bed, even shifting my body weight some days can be a struggle. I know running sounds awfully lofty if more often than not I struggle to say carry a laundry basket, or get out of bed in the morning. But once my body is in a certain motion I am actually ok...most of the time. Thank you for your response it's strangely comforting to know I'm not alone in that day to day sense of awareness
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Meerataila, that sounds exactly like my day to day. I have programmed myself to move a certain way and in a certain speed. Getting out of bed, even shifting my body weight some days can be a struggle. I know running sounds awfully lofty if more often than not I struggle to say carry a laundry basket, or get out of bed in the morning. But once my body is in a certain motion I am actually ok...most of the time. Thank you for your response it's strangely comforting to know I'm not alone in that day to day sense of awareness

I hope your injury heals up entirely for you so you won't have to worry about it anymore. Maybe your doctor can refer you to a personal trainer or physical therapist specializing in spinal injuries to guide you along. Or maybe when you get the all clear you can find one on your own. Expert help is usually good. But the most important thing I have learned you seem to have learned already: Sometimes you just have to baby it and never, ever ignore what it's telling you.
  • mave34
    Options
    Thanks again! I have to say since living with this kind of thing it has definitely changed a lot of things in my life. Paying attention to what my body tells me definitely dictates my daily life. When I feel pretty good I run with it and when i need to chill out I will. I cannot be laid up long, I am 35 with a family and a full time job...I have no time for that :)

Just want to say YOU GUYS ROCK!! Thanks for all the great advice and concern!
  • StormEdge
    Options
    I have compression fractures in two of my vertebra's (also a work related injury) and I've just started getting back into a normal work out regimen. I have to agree with what was said earlier in reference to the core exercises. My Dr recommended strengthening the core in order to help stabilize the back. Also another main point that made me really start to work out was my right hip started having a lot of pain in the muscle, which was caused by my left side to be a favored side and caused my right hip to start depleting muscle.

I also had a lot of issues motivating myself to work through the constant pain, but honestly I feel soooo good after that it keeps me wanting to go back the next day.

Hope this helps!
  • mave34
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience StormEdge. I can totally relate and I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better. I find I am slightly opposite in a sense that I exercise when I'm having good days because it seems easier and I don't suffer through the work out but the next day I am in a lot of pain so it makes it hard to stay motivated. Core strength is huge when it comes to back issues no question!
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    I'm afflicted with lower back pain and also susceptible to shin splints.

I run three times a week, but always run on a nearby wooded area on grass or mud paths. I would never now run on concrete, it puts too much stress on my body.

It's also a very good idea to analyse your foot strike, as this can have a major impact on the stresses to your body. More of a forefoot strike is generally seen as beneficial. There's loads of articles online if you search 'foot strike.'

I hope you manage to get back into running, it's such a good exercise and great fun.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Have you had your back X-rayed? I finally did (after years of pain) and discovered I have disc degeneration between a few of the vertebrae in my lowerb ack, as well as bone spurs and mild scoliosis. I took up running a couple of years ago, and then put my back out really badly (which is when I had the X-ray done).

Right now, I'm not allowed to run (as dictated by my chiropractor who has helped me a lot so I listen to him). The impact is bad for compressing my lower back which can make the degeneration worse. He's told me to strengthen my core, and he says maybe one day I can run again when my back is doing better and my core is stronger but he says I should never run more than 5k at a time. he also says that forms and good shoes are really important when and if I am able to go back to running.

I have been trying to balance the lack of running by eating better, but I'm not that good at it so I'm planning to take up spinning at the gym because I believe it burns a similar amount of calories but doesn't have the impact.

I hope you get some pain relief! I know how it feels!
  • mave34
    Options
    I have had two X-rays and they have come back normal, so I guess it's all in my head? LOL The doctors, chiropractors, physiotherapists and osteopaths cannot help or really pin point what it is. My family doc says it's a bulging disc and from the feel of it, it has not been properly diagnosed or treated in the past, It's definitely not back where it's suppose to be, so has been ongoing for three years. The last injury a year ago was by far the worst yet and have been suffering greatly, again nobody can fix me. So my doctors appointment this Monday will possibly point me towards an MRI....but why? Surgery is out of the question unless I'm almost in a wheelchair.

However the extra weight I have put on since this last year's injury has me very stressed out, and very unhappy and I need to fix it. I generally do what I can when I can and stop when I cannot. I know I can't run far, and tend to run/walk in intervals to give some rest time on my back. Also have to add I have great running shoes I love :) I have been cleaning up my diet (which is also making me cranky) but hopefully will bring some weight off my middle.

Still hopeful though :) The professionals keep telling me it can be reversed.....we will see
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    If you haven't already, you could look into Callanetics. It's a deep stretching exercise. It cured my lower back pain and many people have had good results from it.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have had back issues for about 25 years as the result of a car accident. I have been diagnosed with bulging/torn/degenerated discs, arthritis, bone spurs--basically my lower back is shot. Cycling seems to work best for me. I can ride my bike as long as 4 hours with no ill effects. Just another option to consider!
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Good for you wanting to get back to running. I agree with the others - check with your doctor on what you should and shouldn't do.
  • mave34
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions, Callanetics sounds interesting I will give that a shot.

Went to the doc again yesterday and got nothing, xrays are fine so I'm not being taken seriously. I will take it into my own hands and do what feels right until I find a new doctor to give me solid answers. My doctor doesn't seem to know and suggests I incorporate more flax into my diet??? WTF!

So if I feel like running....I will and if I'm hurting that day....I won't I should have became a doctor!! Sheesh!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have been a regular at the doctor's office, physiotherapy, chiropractor and oestopaths and I gotta tell ya, nobody can seem to fix me, I have been left to my own devices at this point and frustration is taking over. I am seeing my family doctor again next Monday so I will definitely get an okay from her before doing anything strenuous.

I was in a pretty serious car accident two years ago which resulted in a sprain in my neck and upper back. After 9 months of physical therapy and a gazillion doctors, I started Heller works. Within 3 months I was able to start exercising again (something that would hurt so badly and make my mouth water in the previous year). Today I'm able to exercise 5 days a week, including strength training with no problems at all. You should look into it to see if its available in your area.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pilates if you have a good instructor and go to a beginner's class it can help strengthen your core and then protect your back.

I try and do some core exercises each day as I keep slipping a disc in my lower back, pilates have helped.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've had back pain on and off, but nothing traumatic like you've experienced. I've found getting the weight off has definitely helped - weight loss can occur without exercise by creating the deficit through diet alone, so maybe you'd feel better mentally if you focus on that for a while? You know, you're taking control of what you can control and doing something for yourself.

Do you walk at all? I have found that it is vital I walk every day. If I don't, I really feel the muscles in my back becoming tense, and give it a few days I know I'm going to feel twinges, and then a week of those and I might be virtually immobile. It's actually the same for my knee which has a torn meniscus. I may work up to running simply because I feel like I need to burn more energy these days, but I can't recommend walking enough.

MRIs are outrageously expensive, but it does give much more information than a regular X ray. I had one for my knee, and even with the cost, I'm glad I did.