Ice Bucket Challenge, Ribbons, Wrist Bands, etc....

Options
dmpizza
dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
So, I am wondering if anyone else feels this way? Emotionally Hijacked????

We all have family members that have catastrophic illnesses and we deal with it, when it happens and we learn to cope with the loss..

These days, I feel like I am being told that I did it wrong, by the colored shirt, 5k fun run crowd.

I know that any way people can earn money for charity is a good thing, but I really don't like seeing an ad on TV, EVERY 10 MINUTES portraying an army of people in matching t-shirts marching and smiling and saying how much better this is than how people used to deal with things. A bunch of people pouring ice over each others' heads that are completely oblivious that they are reminding a good segment of the population of some of the toughest times in their lives.

Anyway, just had to get that off my chest.

Replies

• Lilla35
    Lilla35 Posts: 99
    Options
    I think this ice bucket challenge is really stupid...if they really want to make it a challenge, then do it in the winter, not the summer. That's hardly a challenge.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It's slactivism. It makes people feel like they're doing something good for the world and they're really not. I can understand buying things that contribute directly to an organization that you would like to support, I have several HRC stickers on the back of my car right now. But the ice bucket challenge seems like a cop-out. I respect the fact that it brings awareness to the issue, but I think it should be coupled with a donation to the charity not just doing the "challenge."
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    It's slactivism. It makes people feel like they're doing something good for the world and they're really not. I can understand buying things that contribute directly to an organization that you would like to support, I have several HRC stickers on the back of my car right now. But the ice bucket challenge seems like a cop-out. I respect the fact that it brings awareness to the issue, but I think it should be coupled with a donation to the charity not just doing the "challenge."

ALS has seen like 400% increase in donations over last year, it is hard to believe that the ice bucket challenge isn't having an impact whether you like or not. While I agree a lot of people are just doing the challenge and not donating it has brought a lot of awareness to a great cause
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

ALS has seen like 400% increase in donations over last year, it is hard to believe that the ice bucket challenge isn't having an impact whether you like or not. While I agree a lot of people are just doing the challenge and not donating it has brought a lot of awareness to a great cause

I acknowledged that it is bringing awareness to the cause and I understand that many people are doing both the challenge and donating to a charity. My problem with it is that the rules are to do the challenge when somebody nominates you and if you fail you have to give money to the organization. I don't like seeing the donation as a punishment for failing to pour ice over your head.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Yeah those jerks have caused 23 million dollars to go to ALS.

The NERVE!

:huh:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

The NERVE!

QFT. Whatever "tactics" succeed in increased donations from people is GOOD! Will it "save the world" from ALS, or cancer, or Alzheimer's, or diabetes or whatever? Maybe not today, but how can we deny the positive impact awareness and open hearts creates in the road toward medical breakthroughs, no matter how silly or attention-"whoring" it appears?

Carry on, y'all. If you don't like the way some people are doing it, do it YOUR own way, for yourself. Nobody is telling someone they cannot donate to the cause of their choice quietly and anonymously, too.:flowerforyou:
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'll wear a ribbon for you feeling emotionally hijacked.

I'm sorry other people with real problems take away from your desire to complain about nothing.

I love the people who do nothing complaining that others aren't doing enough.

"What a bunch of jerks trying to spread awareness! God!"
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I acknowledged that it is bringing awareness to the cause and I understand that many people are doing both the challenge and donating to a charity. My problem with it is that the rules are to do the challenge when somebody nominates you and if you fail you have to give money to the organization. I don't like seeing the donation as a punishment for failing to pour ice over your head.

Everyone I know that has done the challenge has donated to ALS, and then also done the challenge as a way of continuing the publicity for the cause.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Of all the things in the world to get upset at and you choose this? SMDH.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

The NERVE!

QFT....

Also, maybe I should stop doing my annual Tour de Cure ride for diabetes and raising money and awareness for that cause...being that it just reminds people with diabetes that they have diabetes...

Nah...my dad died due to issues caused by his type II...I won't quite until there is a cure. Is riding 50 or 100 miles that big of a deal...not really...but I raise money and the even raises awareness.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I know that any way people can earn money for charity is a good thing, but I really don't like seeing an ad on TV, EVERY 10 MINUTES portraying an army of people in matching t-shirts marching and smiling and saying how much better this is than how people used to deal with things.

Yeah, we should go back to the good ol' days when we drilled holes in people's heads, hacked off limbs, didn't have the money or technology that charities have helped provide for research, and sent folks with illnesses to remote islands to die out of sight from the rest of us.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

The NERVE!

$23,000,000 compared to $25,000 during the same quarter last year no less!

I'll be honest. I was annoyed by the whole thing until I learned it was working. I thought "how about send them some money instead of posting yourself doing literally the very least you could do on facebook". Once I saw the numbers I had to admit how wrong I was.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Your bumper stickers are better than the ice bucket challenge??

Really.... REALLY?

Please. Tell us more about your amazing activism.

lebowski.gif
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

This is a good example of why I don't like people with bumper stickers on their car....
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

The NERVE!

bart-snicker.gif
  • MsBetteDavis
    MsBetteDavis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I wish that everyone who participated also donated the $100.00 but I love that it's suddenly picked up so much pace and you have so many celebrities participating. I saw Niall Horan from One Direction do it as well as David Beckham. Do you know how huge that is? How many people pay attention to them?

I think it's great and the awareness that comes from this "challenge" definitely outweighs the people who are just hopping on the wagon and posting their videos on youtube and then proceeding to donate nothing.

And also, how are we supposed to raise awareness of diseases, civil rights movements, etc. if there isn't some form of campaign behind it? Whether or not it irritates you or you think it's silly or it reminds people who have struggled with these issues of the hardships they've gone through, how are we expected to make a difference as a whole if it's just never talked about through different media and merchandise?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Awesome Ice Bucket Gifs:

Chris Pratt:
    chris-pratt-als-ice-bucket-challenge.gif

Bill Gates:
    2014-08-15_14_18_07.0.gif

Lady Gaga:
    Qvt74jf.gif

Jimmy Fallon:
    Jimmy-Fallon-GIF.gif

Blake Shelton:
    blake-shelton-takes-ice-water-challenge-with-carson-daly-and-adam-levine.gif