Not loosing dramatic weight loss like everyone else

Options
I was reading and seeing other peoples weight loss journey and saw how they were losing 10-20 lbs in a wk or up to 30 lbs in a month and thought what the heck I'm not losing that type of weight when I modified and changed a lot of things in my healthy lifestyle....but then I thought 2 years ago I lost 60 lbs in 6 months, that first month I lost 26 lbs, then 15 lbs the next etc....but I realized when I lost all that weight the first time it was probably a lot of water weight as I was eating out everyday and love salty and vinegary foods like olives, anchovies...etc so that quick weight loss was my body just releasing all of the build up fluid... so this time I'm noticing I'm not losing as much weight as before only 1-2 lbs a wk...but over the last 2 yrs I have been watching my sodium intake...when I realize this I felt better and not as discouraged anymore...I hope this help someone else who is discouraged!! :smile: :smile:

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I was reading and seeing other peoples weight loss journey and saw how they were losing 10-20 lbs in a wk or up to 30 lbs in a month and thought what the heck I'm not losing that type of weight when I modified and changed a lot of things in my healthy lifestyle....but then I thought 2 years ago I lost 60 lbs in 6 months, that first month I lost 26 lbs, then 15 lbs the next etc....but I realized when I lost all that weight the first time it was probably a lot of water weight as I was eating out everyday and love salty and vinegary foods like olives, anchovies...etc so that quick weight loss was my body just releasing all of the build up fluid... so this time I'm noticing I'm not losing as much weight as before only 1-2 lbs a wk...but over the last 2 yrs I have been watching my sodium intake...when I realize this I felt better and not as discouraged anymore...I hope this help someone else who is discouraged!! :smile: :smile:

10 pounds a month every single month is aggressive. 30 pounds a month sounds like someone who is very high in weight. 30 pounds in a month is half of my goal. There is no way I would even consider losing that fast. It be way more muscle loss more likely than fat loss too.
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    At that time I was 332 lbs and the stories I was reading about was people who was 300 lbs or more...Although I didn't think I was thaaaat overweight as I am 6'0 feet tall so my weight was kinda hidden. By the third month my weight loss slowed down to about 6-8 lbs a month...but initially I think I was losing water weight as I looked very bloated and stuffed, my face was puffy and ankles, feet were puffy from all of the high sodium foods...not a good look for a young lady...lol!!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    1-2lbs a week could be 52-104lbs in a year. Pretty good imo. Best wishes in your WOE one day at a time.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    The claim is the more you have to lose the larger calorie deficit you can have. Also do you exercise now. Most of us ate too much and lack of exercise to equal being overweight.

When people who have gone years maybe decades with exercise and they start to with a good large deficit if they are really overweight they are lose a lot of weight.
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Options
    Thanks, I had to change my mindset and perspective...slow and steady along w/ patience and perserverance!!
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Options
    The claim is the more you have to lose the larger calorie deficit you can have. Also do you exercise now. Most of us ate too much and lack of exercise to equal being overweight.

When people who have gone years maybe decades with exercise and they start to with a good large deficit if they are really overweight they are lose a lot of weight.
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Options
    OK I think I tried to quote your statement, but I'm still learning how to use MFP...anyways at that time I drastically changed how I ate: not fast food sandwich places, no pop and juice, and focused on eating clean as much as possible.
  • release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I gauge by how my clothes fit.
    I have lost maybe a total of 5lbs after being here on and off for years..but man do my jeans fit better.. =)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    losing
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    losing

wow....really?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    OK I think I tried to quote your statement, but I'm still learning how to use MFP...anyways at that time I drastically changed how I ate: not fast food sandwich places, no pop and juice, and focused on eating clean as much as possible.

Have you added any exercise or tried to be more active? Those extra calories really help. Also an overweight person can be healthier than a skinny person if the skinny person does not exercising and just eats very little of the energy dense foods.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    1-2 a week is great actually in my opinion. Good attitude!
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    10-20lbs in a week? Wow, what diet were they on because that cannot be healthy. I lost 11lbs in a week once, partly because I had 2ft of hair cut off (it was way too heavy and hung past my behind) AND it was my first week dieting having started at 368lbs. Now I feel really happy if lose 2lbs in a week and over the moon if I lose 4lbs in a week...and I have totally cut carbs from my diet, exercise 4x a week and cycle 4miles as part of my commute every day.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey I was pretty discouraged. All I could think of was of how much weight I had to lose and that it would take so, so long to do it.
    I'm trying for 1.5 pounds a week and had 112 pounds to lose to get to my goal, which is a BMI that will get me out of the OBESE range.
    The idea of it taking nearly 75 weeks to do this was almost overwhelming to me.
    But then I remembered it took me 4 years to get this overweight and THAT didn't seem so long.

Anyway, slow and steady wins the race.
    24 weeks have passed and I've lost 45 pounds! I'm almost 1/3 of the way there. :)
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Options
    Yes I started to incorporate exercise now, before I didn't

Have you added any exercise or tried to be more active? Those extra calories really help. Also an overweight person can be healthier than a skinny person if the skinny person does not exercising and just eats very little of the energy dense foods.
    [/quote]
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Options
    Yes I incorporated exercise now