Thoughts on Dr. Hyman's detox diet

Options
mclgo
mclgo Posts: 147 Member
Hello all,
Today, my physician recommended I try the 10 Day Detox Diet as outlined in the book by Dr. Mark Hyman. I've searched the message boards already, and found a lot about juice cleansing.

Have you tried this particular program? What were your results?

Thank you!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    Today, my physician recommended I try the 10 Day Detox Diet as outlined in the book by Dr. Mark Hyman. I've searched the message boards already, and found a lot about juice cleansing.

Thank you!

I'd get a new physician if he's recommending quack detoxes
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you!

^^ This
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    So. Many. Jokes.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    That's a new one to me!!! None of my doctors or dieticians recommend any sort of cleanse or detox. They say that there isn't enough evidence to show that they're worth doing.

Time to find another doctor.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you!
    Questions you need to answer:
    Why did s/he recommend a cleanse to you?
    What scientific literature regarding this book did s/he provide you with?
    What "toxins" are you trying to get rid of?
    Why are you trying to rid yourself of these specific toxins?
    Is there something wrong with your kidney and liver?

If you don't know the answer to any of these questions, then you don't need to do it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    So. Many. Jokes.

glad i'm not the only one
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Real doctors do not recommend that crap. Ever.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I can't take him seriously, anyway... but definitely NOT with a name like that.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you!

This. right. here.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So. Many. Jokes.

I had to stop myself.

Ask to see your 'Doctors' qualifications. If he has any ask him why your body is unable to detox itself. Then ask him what percentage of Hymans book sales is he getting. Then get a new Doctor.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you!

QFT
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    So. Many. Jokes.

I had to stop myself.

Ask to see your 'Doctors' qualifications. If he has any ask him why your body is unable to detox itself. Then ask him what percentage of Hymans book sales is he getting. Then get a new Doctor.

Just don't read that second to last sentence too quickly....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you!

But it's not a quack detox. The name is just unfortunate.

Breakfast is a smoothie with chia seeds, hemp seeds, blueberries, walnuts, avacado, some other **** too.

Lunch is a salad

dinner is lean protein with vegetables.

Just sounds like what a lot of people call clean eating ... Seems like a perfectly reasonable, sane, and sustainable diet.

Now the Magic claims he makes about this diet are quackery .. but definitely a good diet.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Find a New doctor.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    For reference, here's some info I found on the diet. It's just another low-carb diet ...

But in all seriousness - it sounds like a pretty healthy diet.

The 10-Day Detox Diet Meal Plan

Breakfast: Dr. Hyman’s Whole Food Protein Shake
    This shake will power you through the hardest and longest of days. It is 100% whole, fresh, real food, with
    a spotlight on healthy fats and potent antioxidants from the blueberries.
    • 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
    • 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
    • 1/4 lemon with rind (optional)
    • 1 tbsp almond butter
    • 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
    • 1 tbsps chia seeds
    • 1 tbsp hemp seeds
    • 2 walnuts
    • 1/4 avocado
    • 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin coconut butter
    • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    • 1/2 cup water
    Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. If the
    shake is too thick, add more water until you reach a thick but drinkable consistency. Makes one shake.

Lunch: Dr. Hyman’s Super Salad Bar
    - Choose a green base: arugula, spinach or mixed salad greens
    - Choose three vegetables: red, green or orange bell pepper, celery, mushroom, snap peas, jicama, carrots, radish, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onion, roasted peppers, artichoke hearts, parsley, dill, cilantro, mint.
    - Choose one healthy fat: 1/4 avocado, 2 tablespoons nuts or seeds (walnuts, almonds, pumpkin or sunflower seeds), 2 tablespoons olives (Kalamata)
    - Choose one serving protein (4 ounces): salmon, sardines or shrimp (wild fresh or canned), diced chicken or turkey, cubed tofu or tempeh
    - Choose your dressing: 2 tablespoons tahini with lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar

Dinner: Nourishing Entrees with Aromatic Greens
    - Choose a green base: Broccoli, asparagus, arugula, spinach, kale or chard. Steam or lightly sauté with some garlic and oil.
    - Add 4-6 ounces of protein (choose from below)
    Protein Options:
    Chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp, scallops, grass-fed meat, canned salmon, sardines or herring, hard boiled
    omega-3 eggs, tofu or tempeh.

Snacks: Quick Creamy or Nutty Snacks
    - Choose either: Creamy tahini, hummus or tapenade with sliced raw veggies of choice (see salad bar options for ideas)
    - Or: 1/4 cup mixed nuts (raw if possible) like almonds or walnuts.The 10-Day Detox Diet Meal Plan Allowances

Unlimited Non-Starchy Vegetables Allowed:
    Arugula, artichoke, mushrooms, Swiss chard, asparagus, dandelion greens, mustard greens, tomatoes, bean sprouts, eggplant, onions, turnip greens, beet greens, endive, parsley, watercress, bell peppers (yellow, red or green), fennel, radishes, celery, broccoli, garlic, radicchio, chives, Brussels sprouts, ginger root, snap beans, collard greens, cabbage, green beans, snow peas, jalapeno peppers, cauliflower, hearts of palm, shallots, kale, summer squash, zucchini, spinach and lettuce

Approved to cook & season meals with:
    Coconut oil, olive oil, nut butters, nuts & seeds (hemp, chia, flax, pumpkin & sesame), coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, balsamic vinegar & apple cider vinegar, low-sodium vegetable broth, Dijon mustard, sea salt & black pepper, turmeric, cayenne, thyme, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, sage, oregano, onion powder, cinnamon, coriander, cilantro, paprika and parsley
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you!

Yes. "Detoxing" is not necessary and has no medical basis.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with Dr. Hyman's "diet". It's basically eating clean. You can do that yourself without having to purchase a book.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The meal plan looks fine. Just hate the name "detox". Does it explain what is being 'detoxed"?

You can achieve the same result by eating well.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    So. Many. Jokes.

^ Thought the same thing :blushing: