Bicycle newbie questions

AdamATGATT
AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello.

In the next month or two, I'll be looking to get a bicycle to do some cardio work on. The Seattle area is pretty good in terms of having bike lanes and paths for me to travel on, so I think that'll help me get out there and try it more. It definitely wasn't that easy back when I lived in Virginia. The cities and terrain just wouldn't allow it.

I'd like something that is mostly road-going, but has the ability to do some light off-tarmac. I'd say, 90/10 onroad vs offroad ability. I'm guessing a "hybrid" style bike would be best option for that?

Are there any specific things I should look for or ask about while searching for a bike? Things to avoid?

Is there anything I should do to prepare (physically) before just hopping on the bike and riding?

Yours assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ohh...and by off-tarmac, I mean roads like this:

IMG_0700.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I'd get a Kona...that's what i just bought...check out the website, it should direct you to stores that sell kona and then go talk to the bike guys there...i find that the guys that work in bike shops really know their stuff...i'm by no means an avid biker, this is actually my first bike since i was 13, but I REALLY enjoy it and it wasn't overly expensive either...my fiance is an avid biker and he got a kona too...
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Take your question to MFP Cycling Club in message boards. Do a search for it. Don't know how to post the links. We have talked about bike purchasing in the past couple months, and always willing to again.

In my humble opinion, the best advice is to find the right bike shop. You aren't buying a bike, you are buying a bike shop. They will work on your bike, and do annual maintenance. Go tell them what you want. One thing you will find is a shop that is either trying to make a sale and get you into an expensive bike, or a shop that listens to you and helps you find the right fit.

Join our group for support.

Good luck.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Go to a bike store. Most of them have really knowledgeable staff who can get you the right bike that meets your needs and your budget.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Thank you for the quick responses.

And thank you bsexton3. I looked through the thread briefly (and did a search), but didn't see anything. I must have missed those postings so I'll go back. and take a look.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    You aren't buying a bike, you are buying a bike shop.
    Agreed. Having the right bike shop to go to is probably the most important thing. I found one shortly after I purchased my bike and now, having tried other shops since, will never go to another one again. The guys I found are knowledgeable and willing to help me fix my bike without having to purchase unnecessary parts. Hell, half the time they do **** just to help me out and then say "Whatever, just buy something some time" and then they apologize for making it sound as though I refuse to spend money there.

They're really, really nice guys.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    This is the hybrid I would get. Awesome bikes, awesome service! They have a great reputation with my serious cycling friends...but like you, I just want hybrid comfort and flexibility. This is it...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/cafe_express8.htm
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    I got mine at REI. they are really knowledgeable and will be able to help you pick something out to fit your needs and budget. Then they make sure its road ready and safe before you even take it out of the door.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    You aren't buying a bike, you are buying a bike shop.
    Agreed. Having the right bike shop to go to is probably the most important thing. I found one shortly after I purchased my bike and now, having tried other shops since, will never go to another one again. The guys I found are knowledgeable and willing to help me fix my bike without having to purchase unnecessary parts. Hell, half the time they do **** just to help me out and then say "Whatever, just buy something some time" and then they apologize for making it sound as though I refuse to spend money there.

They're really, really nice guys.

Totally agree...the bike shop i got mine from is awesome, the guys in there are just working to support their "bike habits" lol...super friendly, not there because they work on commission...and because i'm so new, they don't make me feel like an idiot when i have tons of questions. it's better than buying a car that's for sure. so shop around, feel comfortable in the bike shop...i personally prefer the smaller ones as apposed to the huge super market ones...
This discussion has been closed.