James Duncan Diet 1 stone 1 week

Options

Replies

• jonnysharpe
    jonnysharpe Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I agree, I don't expect most people to be able to lose a stone. I didn't expect to. I'm only hoping for 3kg over the next 2 months, as I already lost 3kg :)
    To be clear, I'm not doing this diet again, I'm just resuming a healthier lifestyle
  • jonnysharpe
    Options
    You are not a doctor therefore you cannot say if even a week would be safe for anyone (even yourself) to try a VLCD.
    I'm not sure I ever said it was safe or not. Just providing the facts of my experience, as opposed to speculation and generalisation

• jonnysharpe
    Options
    According to NHS guidelines, this isn't a VLCD. That would be 800 calories a day or less. I averaged about 1000 calories a day.
  • jonnysharpe
    Options
    You misunderstand, this was just the first step towards resuming a healthier lifestyle. I led a fairly healthy lifestyle before this, but was overweight by about 1 stone and could not shift the excess.
    This was always just a platform to kick-on from.
    Also, it's a low calorie diet, not a VLCD. And you're guessing at where the weight loss came from.
    Way too many cynics. I actually did the diet, have demonstrated that it works and am sharing the info for others.
    I'm not into long-term diets that take months, I'm too impatient. I have an open mind towards all other options and opinions, but it would be interesting to hear from people who've done it. Not everyone is the same, therefore it's not a 'bad idea' for everyone. I'm sure it is for some, but let's not generalise.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    According to NHS guidelines, this isn't a VLCD. That would be 800 calories a day or less. I averaged about 1000 calories a day.

Just putting it out there that when I was eating 1000 calories a day the NHS considered me to have an eating disorder.

Obviously there is far more to an ED, but what I am trying to highlight is that as a woman 1000 cals a day was considered by my health team as being far too low. For a man it most definitely is VLCD.

I've been lurking and following this thread so I acknowledge that you were only doing it for a week as an experiment. However, I don't think it is very responsible to (and pretty sure it's against the TOS to do so) advocate a VLCD as being sustainable. I think actually if you are taking an experimental approach to it too I would definitely be considering the fact you came down with a virus immediately after finishing the diet - I have to wonder (having myself been very ill from weeks of restrictive eating in the past) if that's perhaps a correlation that you should have seen?

Also this:
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I agree, I don't expect most people to be able to lose a stone. I didn't expect to. I'm only hoping for 3kg over the next 2 months, as I already lost 3kg :)
    To be clear, I'm not doing this diet again, I'm just resuming a healthier lifestyle

It's too bad in my opinion that you picked a choice that had to lead to you "resuming a healthier lifestyle." It should always be healthy....and not some low calorie sham diet to begin with. Congrats on losing lean muscle mass though on your vlcd. It's not my choice and I hope anyone reading this thread looks at the long term success of those saying it is a bad idea vs. This guy.

I too really hope others reading through this thread will realise that decimating your LBM and making yourself ill is not the sustainable way to achieve weightloss.
  • jonnysharpe
    Options
    "advocate a VLCD as being sustainable"?
    I'm saying the weight loss can be sustained after the diet ends. I also said "I would not recommend it for longer than a week, under any circumstances".

I caught a virus that my kids had, along with half the nursery/school population in the local area. I don't believe it's related. The diet didn't make me feel weak or feeble, I was able to exercise as usual. I was just hungry. It didn't impair my immune system...I can't see how it could?
  • jonnysharpe
    Options
    Oh, and this guy is a lost cause, but for the sake of anyone else reading this....it IS a bad idea.

Really? We're doing that now? I'm a lost cause? That's a fairly harsh interpretation of me simply offering up my experience. I don't subscribe 100% to your orthodoxy, so you call me a 'cheat'.

If someone trying to get into shape, get fit and try and improve things for themselves is a lost cause to you, then I feel sorry for you. You know nothing about me or my life. Nothing about the pressures I might be under, or the priorities I need to constantly balance.

I was enjoying the experience of trying something new and sharing the experience, until now. Some folk choose to read the lines they want and ignore others. I'm not cheating at anything, I'm just kick-starting something positive.

The only 'bad idea' was mistaking a public message board for a place to genuine try and share ideas, without being insulted.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm saying the weight loss can be sustained after the diet ends. I also said "I would not recommend it for longer than a week, under any circumstances".

I caught a virus that my kids had, along with half the nursery/school population in the local area. I don't believe it's related. The diet didn't make me feel weak or feeble, I was able to exercise as usual. I was just hungry. It didn't impair my immune system...I can't see how it could?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/2/460S.abstract
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this guy is a lost cause, but for the sake of anyone else reading this....it IS a bad idea.

Really? We're doing that now? I'm a lost cause? That's a fairly harsh interpretation of me simply offering up my experience. I don't subscribe 100% to your orthodoxy, so you call me a 'cheat'.

If someone trying to get into shape, get fit and try and improve things for themselves is a lost cause to you, then I feel sorry for you. You know nothing about me or my life. Nothing about the pressures I might be under, or the priorities I need to constantly balance.

I was enjoying the experience of trying something new and sharing the experience, until now. Some folk choose to read the lines they want and ignore others. I'm not cheating at anything, I'm just kick-starting something positive.

The only 'bad idea' was mistaking a public message board for a place to genuine try and share ideas, without being insulted.

You're not getting fit and in shape by eating under 1000 calories.
  • LC932017
    LC932017 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's very scary to me how easily someone can put together a "diet" and sell it. Tbh last time I was on a 500 calorie diet I was 14 and anorexic meaning it is by no means sustainable or healthy. It's not a good way to lose the weight at all. It puts your body through some rough times.

Please don't put your body through this.
  • jonnysharpe
    Options

Thanks for the link, that's really useful.
  • jonnysharpe
    Options
    A kickstart is just that, a cheat. And I didn't read anything between the lines. I read what you said. You did a kickstart cleanse because you are too impatient to do healthy weight loss. Got it. Enjoy.

And yes, it might have been a bad idea to post on a public message board where you promote an unhealthy cleanse diet and not expect people to say something about that.

I'd love to read the rule book on weight loss. You know, the one that everyone must follow like automatons. We're all identical, after all
  • AMSmit88
    Options

Beat me to it.

Nutrition and immunity are most definitely linked, there's years of studies supporting that. Yes, maybe everyone was going down with the virus but a compromised immune system from a low calorie diet would most likely have made a person more susceptible.

• jonnysharpe
    Options
    (deep breath)
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. To reassure you, I'm doing healthy weight loss right now. The very short-term LCD worked for me at that time. I learned a great deal from it and accept it's not the magic solution in the long-term.
    I will continue to post my progress
  • AMSmit88
    Options

There's a lot more if you search 'nutrition and immunity' on google scholar. It's definitely worth looking into.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    please don't

or start a blog .. you have one up there .. that's the place for your unique and individual story
  • jonnysharpe
    Options

There's a lot more if you search 'nutrition and immunity' on google scholar. It's definitely worth looking into.

Cool, thankyou