dressy walking shoes

pjb58
pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
I am planning a trip to Italy in the spring. Any recommendations for walking shoes that are great on the feet and legs but also very stylish? Apparently shoes are a BIG deal there and I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Replies

• Morgan5647
    Morgan5647 Posts: 598 Member
    I love heels but Italy is full of cobbled streets and you will be walking miles if you sight seeing! You need comfort as well as style. Italy's amazing!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Dress like you would on a day trip in the states.

If that's wedges or tennis shoes or cute ballet flats - choose something you'll be happy to wear each day.

My last trip I bought a pair of ballet flats from aerosole. Honestly, I thought they were ugly and every time I wore them I inwardly sulked a little. Yes, yes, I am that shallow. I was much happier and comfortable wearing my pretty sandals or wedges - because they're pretty.

Honestly, I think that they recognize us as tourists long before they get to the shoes you're wearing so if that's why you're worried - don't be.
  • Morgan5647
    Morgan5647 Posts: 598 Member
    Nice wedges with skinny jeans! That's what I would wear
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Clarks. Really can't go wrong with Clarks.
  • Joannah700
    My most comfortable ballet flats are from Vince Camuto (which I would not buy full price!) but I saw them at Nordstrom Rack. Tried them on and proudly walked away... but came back for them. They're so comfortable!

I don't normally pay attention to brands (sorry) but I know my Charles David wedges are super comfortable. I would wear those in Europe.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Depending how late in the spring it is, you might want to invest in some nice leather riding or biker boots. They come in all lengths from ankle to knee and anywhere in between. They are comfortable enough to walk around all day in, and stylish enough to fit in with the fashion-forward Italians.
  • I recommend Dansko.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I've found really comfortable dressy walking shoes at 9 West.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    I recommend you wear what you normally wear...no one is going to pay attention to you specifically... least of all what you wear on your feet... chances are... you are never EVER going to run into ANY of those people near your hometown once you get back anyway... If it were me... i'd go with clown shoes.. clown wig.. clown nose... and overalls... THEN you'd be remembered
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I'm trying to remember, but I used to buy nice looking shoes for walking all the time. I am a dancer, I've had injuries, and I walk a lot.

Naturalizer
    The Walking Company
  • Joannah700
    I recommend you wear what you normally wear...no one is going to pay attention to you specifically... least of all what you wear on your feet... chances are... you are never EVER going to run into ANY of those people near your hometown once you get back anyway... If it were me... i'd go with clown shoes.. clown wig.. clown nose... and overalls... THEN you'd be remembered

Plus. I bet they would let you in front of all the lines.
  • pjb58
    There's an idea!
  • pjb58
    Thanks for all the tips....especially the clown theme. ;-)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,874 Member
    Little ankle boots with a low heel (such as Chelsea boots) or cowboy boots. Cute sneakers, such as Vans or Converse. A lot of Italian yuppies wear deck shoes with jeans or chinos. If you don't want to look like an American tourist, just avoid white sneakers.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    I bought a pair of tan Rockport's (at the outlet) before a trip to Europe. They are basically nicer looking walking shoes. I wouldn't wear shoes that don't have a lot of support for all the walking you will do! No one will care what you are wearing on your feet. It's so true that you will look like a tourist no matter what is on your feet. I heard the same thing about European's not wearing sneakers anywhere but in the gym! My tan walking shoes were perfect because they did look good with everything (shorts, capri's or jeans). Heels or flats with no support is not a good idea. Worry about comfort not style. You will not have fun if your feet hurt. HAVE FUN!
  • acpgee
    If your style is more "street" or "rock and roll", I second the suggestion of motorcycle boots or Doc Martens. Error in last post. Dead give away of American tourist is white trainers.

My American cousin, when he was visiting me in Europe noticed that no one wore light colored trainers except the American tourists. Even homeless people wore dark leather shoes. Tan leather shoes won't stand out.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Little ankle boots with a low heel (such as Chelsea boots) or cowboy boots. Cute sneakers, such as Vans or Converse. A lot of Italian yuppies wear deck shoes with jeans or chinos. If you don't want to look like an American tourist, just avoid white sneakers.

I like this advice. How about Superga sneakers? Would that be weird? I love them & wear them all of the time...but wonder if they are considered cheesy by real Italians? haha
  • acpgee

I like this advice. How about Superga sneakers? Would that be weird? I love them & wear them all of the time...but wonder if they are considered cheesy by real Italians? haha

Superga are definitely in the same category of cool sneakers like Vans or Converse. If you need more support for tons of walking put off the shelf arch supports or insoles in your shoes.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    If your style is more "street" or "rock and roll", I second the suggestion of motorcycle boots or Doc Martens. Error in last post. Dead give away of American tourist is white trainers.

My American cousin, when he was visiting me in Europe noticed that no one wore light colored trainers except the American tourists. Even homeless people wore dark leather shoes. Tan leather shoes won't stand out.

".....European's not wearing sneakers anywhere but in the gym..." Maybe the way I wrote it was hard to understand, but I meant that the only place Europeans would wear white sneakers is inside a gym, not on the streets. I wore dark tan Rockport walking shoes and my husband wore his white or tan Rockport walking shoes. He only cared about comfort. We were both comfortable walking miles a day, so we were both happy. The huge cameras around our neck' s, maps in hands and the backpacks gave us away more than what we had on our feet!