Kitchen Knives?

Options

Replies

• Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Henckels. I love them. I am saving for some global knives.

One of the best knives I have I got at a fishing tackle store. It is a fillet knife for fish. It's works great for trimming chicken breasts and making cutlets with chicken, pork or beef. I paid about 40 dollars for it. It is a Repala. Very very sharp!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Henckels. I love them. I am saving for some global knives.

One of the best knives I have I got at a fishing tackle store. It is a fillet knife for fish. It's works great for trimming chicken breasts and making cutlets with chicken, pork or beef. I paid about 40 dollars for it. It is a Repala. Very very sharp!

Filet knives are great all around kitchen utility knives...absolutely! They're thin, can easily be kept sharp, and have a nice, useful point on them. When I make my paring and petty knives, they are basically shorter, stiffer filet knives, lol.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have a set from Amway (yes, you read that right) that has lasted for almost fifteen years and are still in fantastic shape.

Your knives are gorgeous!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I finally bought myself a set of decent kitchen knives (probably not decent by your standards but far better than anything I've owned before). While it's nice to have something that actually cuts my food, I also keep cutting myself. I'm sporting a bandaid on my index finger this afternoon, post lunch time prep. I'm probably a person who shouldn't be allowed sharp knives.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I have a set from Amway (yes, you read that right) that has lasted for almost fifteen years and are still in fantastic shape.

Your knives are gorgeous!

Thank you!!

I've never seen an Amway knife, lol...post up some pictures??

I finally bought myself a set of decent kitchen knives (probably not decent by your standards but far better than anything I've owned before). While it's nice to have something that actually cuts my food, I also keep cutting myself. I'm sporting a bandaid on my index finger this afternoon, post lunch time prep. I'm probably a person who shouldn't be allowed sharp knives.

Lol...my mom's that way. I made my dad a pair of knives for Father's Day last year...my first quality kitchen knives...and she won't touch them. As a matter of fact, if they don't have the edge guards on them, she won't even go within two feet of them. I've tried to make her understand that the dull knives she's cut herself badly with were more dangerous...but she refuses to acknowledge it lol.

Here's the knives I made for my dad:

42b98a5f-6621-4718-92c7-aaa9782e1639.jpg
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob cook, since my parents do it mostly, but I love learning about it. Your knives are really beautiful! I'd love to get a nice Japanese set (I have small hands) when I have my own place. Nice work! :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I'm a noob cook, since my parents do it mostly, but I love learning about it. Your knives are really beautiful! I'd love to get a nice Japanese set (I have small hands) when I have my own place. Nice work! :flowerforyou:

Thanks!! If you ever do, let me know...I can absolutely point you at a quality set of Japanese knives that would be reasonable on the wallet :).

By the way...I was happy to see that you're eating a reasonable amount of calories! Too many women eat far, far too little.

Good for you!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'm a casual cook but I have lovely kitchen accouterments. I love my wusthof knives and probably use my santuko the most.

This will give you an idea.

wusthof_set_2.jpg

Edited...because typos happen in life.

I have the exact same set.... I prefer the chefs knife for most jobs.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Am preferring these Emeril knives ... Perfectly weighted for my current use. A vast improvement from the last set of knives.

ehhsw4.jpg
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Am preferring these Emeril knives ... Perfectly weighted for my current use. A vast improvement from the last set of knives.

ehhsw4.jpg

Very nice! What was your last set?
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    fun topic! I wish I knew how to sharpen. I have very poor quality knives. I'd love a new set.

Me too. I have had my knife sharpened only twice. Once from a guy at my farmers market, I don't think he really knew what he was doing. After that I had a friend sharpen it for me and I definitely know he didn't know what he was doing! He left marks on the blade.

Next time I want to invest in knives and have them sent to the company that made them for sharpening.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I have a few of these, but this is my go to for most applications.

kikuichi-warikomi-damascus-gyuto-240mm-20.png
    Very nice! I've heard good things about the Kikuichi knives. It's also nice that they keep their edge steel (VG10 if I recall...the same as the Santa Fe Stoneworks knives from above) a bit harder than some of the other companies using it in kitchen cutlery.

Thanks for your input. This knifes balance is very different to all my other knives.....I'm a chef btw and use knives all day long. It's balance is nutreal right were the blade meets the guard. It's also one of my lightest chefs knives but is definitely the best for my use. Best being ease of use.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I think I'm going to buy the whetstone linked in the first page, and give sharpening a try. Thanks for this.

No problem, I'm glad to help!

If your knives are very thick, you'll absolutely need the dmt plate right away, but if your knives are relatively thin, and just dull, you can get awhile with just the 1000/6000 stone for awhile. You'll need the plate eventually though.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Wüsthof
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Wüsthof

Nice!!

My sister in law used to love her Wüsthof knives :).
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    A few of my more recent knives :).

55chi14nprkv.jpg
    xsmqk3drpclf.jpg
    0va3nyu0aq4e.jpg
    This one is a 185mm ko-gyuto, or line knife. My knife is the thinner of the two. The piggy one is a Yusuke Extra Thin (for those of you who know Japanese knives :). The coin is about 1.5mm thick.

lbejwnb2p6id.jpg
    lfvu53k7mb9b.jpg
    bqbv5panfcrn.jpg
    drvhc7c4ql0g.jpg
    Another 185mm ko-gyuto. In the pictures of both knives with the heel pointing up, you can see how thin they actually are.

• crisanderson27
    Options
    eq2ipc06bl6s.jpg

Some recent pieces ;).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Wow! These are beautiful....

We have a half decent set at home. They are sharp and do the job. We just got back from a holiday where we stayed in a self-contained apartment, with rubbish knives - it made me appreciate my knives!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    wow...2 years later...

My first thought looking at this thread was of Dexter