breathing techniques?

Options
I started the couch to 5k program about 6 weeks ago. I got stuck on week 4 twice and quit. I am just having an extremely hard time and feel like im going to pass out. I cant seem to get ahold of my breathing. Any ideas???

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Have you had your heart checked?
  • megacoco
    megacoco Posts: 32
    Options
    Were you going too fast? It may help you if you slow your running part down a bit.

You could also stretch the program out and repeat each week to work your way up there more comfortably.

As far as breathing goes... do you breath with your chest or your belly/diaphragm? Pay attention to the way you breath when you're sitting - does your chest or belly go up and down more? Try breathing with your diaphragm instead. Focus on long, slow belly breaths. Practice this outside of running first, during the day or during yoga/pilates if you do these. Take a slow jog just to practice long breaths through your mouth.

Next, when running, try make a pattern. Start at 2-2 - breath in for 2 steps, breath out for 2 steps, repeat. As your lungs get stronger you can go to 3-3 and 4-4.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Any ideas???

1. Try the in out in out method of breathing
    2. Slow down. Slow way the hell down
    3. Stop quitting