What is happening to me??? Gaining and don't know why.

Age 39, female, 5'6", 127 lbs.

Gained 10 lbs in the last three weeks without changing habits at all.
Feel weak, sluggish, and sore.
Weight gain is not water and not muscle...it's fat.
Caloric intake is around 1200-1300 weekdays and 1100-1200 weekends.
Desk job, work out 1 hr 5x a week.

Had BMR professionally tested last year, result was 1349. Hormone levels normal, thyroid levels low end of normal but not sub-clinical. I don't recall what the exact readings were and no longer have access to the site where they were stored.

Replies

• michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    How recently were your hormones checked? If it was a year ago it may be worth while to check them again.

That said, feeling weak, sluggish and sore sounds very much like an illness. I would go to the doctor if I were you.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    If you've been logging carefully the whole time and haven't changed any other habits, and you're sure at least some of the weight gain is fat, maybe your thyroid has gotten worse over the year.

And is there any possibility you're pregnant?
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    If you open your diary, we can probably be a lot more helpful.

There's no way that you have put on 10lbs worth of fat; for that you would have had to eat 35,000 extra calories, which clearly, if you're eating between 1100-1300 a day, you haven't been doing. Which means, other culprits: water weight from exercise since you work out 5 days a week, too much sodium, too little fiber, incorrect tracking, or a medical condition.

I'd hazard to guess that you're eating too little, since you're already at a healthy weight for your height, even if you do have a smaller frame. Have you considered working on body composition rather than trying to get the scale lower immediately? Adding strength training could help you build up your LBM (which I'd argue you're losing now from under eating, because I'm doubting those are NET numbers and you're definetly eating below your BMR which can have serious health consequences) which helps you burn more during normal activities and will give you a more toned appearance. Then you could revisit fat loss.

I really can't stress enough that you're under eating though, and I saw on another post (I checked your profile to see if your diary was open) that you said your BMR was around 1400, so eat to that NET every day and you will lose weight. Will you lose 2lbs a week? No. But you'll likely begin dropping weight almost immediately because your body will finally have the nutrition and calories it needs to function properly, and better yet you'll be losing more fat than LBM (muscle).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    If you're eating a healthy food and eating enough of it, you shouldn't be tired. If you aren't overeating, you shouldn't be gaining.

Go back to the doctor. Ask them if it would be okay to run a full thyroid panel and not just TSH.

Show them what you're eating, what exercise you're doing and what your weight is.

If they say that it would be impossible for you to gain or you can tell they don't believe you, get a new doctor. Keep trying new doctors until one gets past their biases and/or laziness and figures out what the hell is wrong with you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

And is there any possibility you're pregnant?

The tired part suggests something hormonal.
  • bigdgeek
    bigdgeek Posts: 88
    I plan to have my hormones and thyroid checked again as soon as I have insurance again. Right now, I don't.

I really want to recomp as I'm disgusted with how jiggly I'm getting.

No possibility I'm pregnant. I don't even have periods anymore. I took the pill for years, allowing myself only 3-4 periods a year (doc said it was OK), then quit taking the pill at 35. My periods never came back.
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    I plan to have my hormones and thyroid checked again as soon as I have insurance again. Right now, I don't.

No possibility I'm pregnant. I don't even have periods anymore. I took the pill for years, allowing myself only 3-4 periods a year (doc said it was OK), then quit taking the pill at 35. My periods never came back.

You can still get pregnant even without a period. As long as u have a uterus.
  • bigdgeek

Haven't had sex since July 2013. So no, I'm not pregnant.
  • bigdgeek
    You went from 117 to 127? So from the bottom of a healthy weight range to a healthy weight.

And added nothing but FLAB. If I'd added 10 lbs of muscle, that'd be one thing...but don't you think it's a bit strange that I've added 10 lbs of FAT in less than a month without upping my calories or cutting my exercise?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Try changing the batteries on your scale.
  • eldersc
    eldersc Posts: 3
    Pregnant?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You went from 117 to 127? So from the bottom of a healthy weight range to a healthy weight.

And added nothing but FLAB. If I'd added 10 lbs of muscle, that'd be one thing...but don't you think it's a bit strange that I've added 10 lbs of FAT in less than a month without upping my calories or cutting my exercise?

If you've gained 10lb without changing ANYTHING then I'd go to the doctors.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

Considering that you've said you were at 117 at 5'6, I'd be concerned about not getting your period. It sounds like ammenorrhea from a lack of nutrition and, no, it's not normal. Are you recovering from ED?

ETA: If you've gained 10lbs without any changes at all, see a doctor. In fact, see a doctor regardless. 1200-1300 is not a lot of food.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Even though you're young, maybe peri-menopausal? Though I still don't know how on earth you'd gain 10 lbs in a month eating 1100-1300 cals a day. Me thinks something is off. And if you accurately log and weigh foods daily and are truly eating this little, get to the doctor.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member

What? Have you heard of menopause? Not saying OP is going through it, but women lose the ability to get pregnant without losing their uterus.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    It could be because you're not eating enough, maybe try switching up your workout if you kind of do the same thing every time? Hmm... I think you definitely need to go see a doctor, insurance or not.. firstly maybe pee on a pregnancy stick... just in case.
  • LeonXC
    LeonXC Posts: 68
    .. firstly maybe pee on a pregnancy stick... just in case.

Hello? She said she hasn't had sex in 12 months. She can't be pregnant...unless it's an immaculate conception.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    If she's pregnant, then she should probably see a doctor, since the last time she's had sex (according to the post) was July 2013..over a year ago.

I would see a doctor and get more blood work. I would also invest in a food scale, and weigh absolutely everything and bump up your calories a bit. What you're eating isn't much, your body needs more. How much water are you drinking? Change the battery in your scale as well.

There's no way you put on 10 lbs of fat, and you're already at a healthy weight. Losing weight doesn't seem like the puzzle piece you need, I think strength workouts would suit you better.

Leaving this here, for no one in particular. Just in case someone might want the info! http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member

Had BMR professionally tested last year, result was 1349. Hormone levels normal, thyroid levels low end of normal but not sub-clinical. I don't recall what the exact readings were and no longer have access to the site where they were stored.

From personal experience, I would suggest that you are not eating enough....

I'm assuming that your total caloric intake is a max of 1300 cals? On exercise days you are netting around 1000 cals at most. Non exercise days, you are still netting below your BMR.

I made the mistake of under eating years ago too. I'd lose for a while, then stall out, then start GAINING! WTH?? My body held on to every single thing it could for dear life. I was exhausted, angry, moody, my periods started getting irregular, etc. etc.

I would look up BMR/TDEE on here....there is tons of information, and start eating AT LEAST a NET caloric base of your 1350 BMR. Ramp up your intake by increasing your daily cals by 100 per week until you get there and see how you feel.

That means on exercise days you should be eating around 1600-1700 cals. I suspect that as your body de-stresses, you will release water, fat, sleep better, and feel 100% better overall.

Once I did, the weight literally fell off at an average steady pound per week. I was the lowest I'd been in years! Then I quit smoking but that's another story....lol
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member

LoL How do you know it's fat? It's not possible to gain that much weight in fat in that time frame unless you are eating an obscene amount so hit the breaks there missy.

Let's rethink everything that you ate and maybe how accurately your tracking it. Are you even tracking everything? Probably something your using or having that you don't realize has a ton of calories.