How to input c25k?

Options
VaxSA
VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
Not sure the best way to put it in, just did week 1, day one in a forest park. I just put it down to walking, brisk pace (9kms per hour?). Any ideas on what you guys do? Thanks in advance!

(note: for anyone a bit daunted to give this a go, I am HUGE and very very very unfit, and I could do this! So can you! The hardest part was getting over the anxiety of worrying about self-disappointment if I failed but I did it! Woohoo!)

Replies

• michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this evening myself! Best of luck on your running goals.

I'm doing mine through Zombies! Run!'s c25k app, hahaha, but run keeper has a c25k training calendar and it syncs to MFP (incidentally zombies run syncs to run keeper which should, in turn, sync here so I suppose I'll find out tonight). Perhaps whatever program you're using has an app that syncs with MFP?

Of course, it always boils down to estimates anyway but if you're tracking your time you can get in the ballpark regardless.
  • rose400
    rose400 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that! I just clicked on your post thinking I might like to revisit C25K but I don't know if I can do it.... maybe I can...
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to split it between the amount of times walking and running (ex: 16 minutes walking 3.5 mph & 9 minutes running 5 mph). I was on a treadmill the first time around, so it was easy to know how fast I was going.

I don't do it that way anymore, though. I run outside, so the inclines and speeds vary so much that I don't think MFP would be anywhere close to accurate. MFP is notorious for over-estimating your cal burns, anyway. Instead, I just log it as strength training, put the total time (30 minutes, usually) and set the calorie count to 1. In the notes, I mark what week/day I did.

It doesn't show extra calories for me, but I don't really worry about eating my exercise calories back all the time. If I feel a little more hungry on my running days, I just add on 100 cals.

Best of luck!! I know we can all do it (or re-do it)! :)
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Do you wear an HRM? When I did that program I just made my own entry I called run/walk and punched in the total time I spent and the calories burned from the HRM. Good luck with the program- stick with it; it works.
  • VaxSA
    Options
    Thanks for that! I just clicked on your post thinking I might like to revisit C25K but I don't know if I can do it.... maybe I can...

You can do it!!!!! It doesnt matter how fast you jog, as long as you have the general motion right you will increase speed as time goes on without even realising it - even if you just commit to walking the 30 minutes and listening to the timer telling you when you to jog so you get used to expectations - makes it a bit less of a huge hurdle to push yourself over.

I told myself that I was just going for a walk, and would listen to the timer so I knew what to expect - and tried to jog when it told me too just as a bonus - and I got through the whole thing without dying once :P

Go team!
  • VaxSA
    Options
    I'm starting this evening myself! Best of luck on your running goals.

I'm doing mine through Zombies! Run!'s c25k app, hahaha, but run keeper has a c25k training calendar and it syncs to MFP (incidentally zombies run syncs to run keeper which should, in turn, sync here so I suppose I'll find out tonight). Perhaps whatever program you're using has an app that syncs with MFP?

Of course, it always boils down to estimates anyway but if you're tracking your time you can get in the ballpark regardless.

I didnt know you could do this! Thank you! I will go check it out!
  • VaxSA
    Options
    I used to split it between the amount of times walking and running (ex: 16 minutes walking 3.5 mph & 9 minutes running 5 mph). I was on a treadmill the first time around, so it was easy to know how fast I was going.

I don't do it that way anymore, though. I run outside, so the inclines and speeds vary so much that I don't think MFP would be anywhere close to accurate. MFP is notorious for over-estimating your cal burns, anyway. Instead, I just log it as strength training, put the total time (30 minutes, usually) and set the calorie count to 1. In the notes, I mark what week/day I did.

It doesn't show extra calories for me, but I don't really worry about eating my exercise calories back all the time. If I feel a little more hungry on my running days, I just add on 100 cals.

Best of luck!! I know we can all do it (or re-do it)! :)

Thank you!!! And I dont eat my exercise calories back either, so i think you might be onto something there with just putting down 1 cal count!
  • VaxSA
    Options
    Do you wear an HRM? When I did that program I just made my own entry I called run/walk and punched in the total time I spent and the calories burned from the HRM. Good luck with the program- stick with it; it works.

No I dont wear one, but I think I might have to have a look into it for my own personal interest! Thankyou, I didnt know you could do this and I really appreciate the suggestion =)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Unless you are actually tracking your walk/run distances with a GPS device, don't put anything down at all for the burn. Especially in week 1, where its mostly walking and short, and very few calories are being burnt.

HRM is useless for walk/run sessions, it will vastly over-estimate the burn.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

No I dont wear one, but I think I might have to have a look into it for my own personal interest! Thankyou, I didnt know you could do this and I really appreciate the suggestion =)

You could really just use any of the premade walk or run entries too if you picked up a monitor and just change the calories MFP offers for what your monitor showed you.