Anyone use Bodymedia? Problems?

Options
So my sister uses the Bodymedia arm band and has a sit down job, hasn't been working out is 5'2, 175 lbs and 31 years old. Her armband is saying she burned 3600 calories today and she emailed the company and they said that's correct and they just updated their software to be even more precise. Am I wrong in saying there's no way she could've burned that much?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I use the Bodymedia, and I have to say that's bull. The most I've ever burned is around 2600, and that was on a really active day, and I'm about the same size as your sis...slightly taller but slightly smaller. Bodymedia's customer service is usually great, and startlingly fast. The few times I've had a question or issue, I received a reply within 10 minutes of emailing.
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. She said maybe she's burning that naturally and I told her no way. I weigh more than her and don't even burn that much in my hours of working out lol
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It might not be the algorithms...she could be doing something that registers as steps on her armband. That happened to me once while removing nail polish. The motion came up as steps. Also, riding a lawn mower across a really bumpy area, typing or crocheting...anything that consists of repetitive motions of the arm...could register as steps. Fortunately the Bodymedia seems to make that mistake less than other brands of tracker because of its position on the upper arm, and its three-way altimeter, but it can still happen.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Or she's lying lol. I love my Armband. On a decently average day I burn about 2800 cal (I'm 5'5" 237lbs)...a day at Disneyland at 214lbs burnt 3800 by comparison.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yeah...No. That might be like 2000 calories off. Though, I know sometimes the first few days after you get your armband it needs time to adjust and the numbers can be a little off...but even still. That number is way too high.
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for proving me right :p JK. But she went ahead and cancelled her membership. It was telling her crazy numbers all week. I'm talking 4k+ for just sitting down all day at work and gaining weight instead of losing it.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling its more user error than the armband. I've been wearing one since they first came out way back when they were called Bodybuggs and you could only buy at 24 hr fitness. Never had an issue like that. I agree with the others on the customer service, it's amazing.