Took a long break from exercise, how to get back into it?

Options
I didn't exercise at all really for the last 3 weeks, only a few days here and there, but I stayed pretty true to my diet all that time. I weigh 115 instead of 116 (what I was 3 weeks ago at the end of my exercising) now, but I'm still finding it hard to start exercising again. Everything that used to be doable to me, now seems ten times harder.

How do I start exercising again? I did some exercises yesterday, basic forms of things I used to do, and my legs are absolutely killing me today, in the way they would feel when I really pushed myself hard on my leg days. What gives? Did I really lose that much muscle in 3 weeks or am I just crazy

Replies

• David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I doubt you lost muscle, it is just they probably tensed up a bit. This will pass quickly - only your brain knows what weights you are lifting, ease your way back in - this is also a good time to focus on form over force.
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    start slow.
  • EnitanDreamer
    EnitanDreamer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This happens to me also,happy to read the responses on how to stay motivated. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're eating at a deficit for some fat loss? Because of that you have less energy in general, so getting back on the horse might be a bit more work. Just ease into it, do less volume/intensity/weight than you normally do until you're back to your normal routine. Honestly though it might just take a week or two before you're back to normal.