2 hours a week enough to tone up?

Options
I'm short on money and am still in full time education about to do my last year of a levels.
I can afford to go to the gym twice a week which is £7.70.

I'm already quite toned and used to work out at the gym 4 times a week but it was too costly.
I was considering trying to go for fast walks for 30 mins 3x a week
On top of 2 hours at the gym.

A session would include 20 minutes interval sprinting on the treadmill, 20 mins leg exercises with weights & free weights (box jumps, lunges, squats, glute kickbacks etc) and 20 mins arms (weights, tricep dips, press ups)
Is this enough to help keep a toned body?
My diet is good and I'm 5'4 8 stone I tend to eat healthily.

I just want to be a bit less skinny fat. I don't really care about having abs or being super toned so I don't need a strict regime. But would this be enough?

Replies

• Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would look up body weight exercises and run outdoors when not at the gym. Save the gym for the things you can't to elsewhere (weights?). That might make the most of it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you use your limited time gym visits to use the equipment there, the free weights, squat rack etc and the things. like push ups/tricep dips, at home. That way you can workout more than twice a week whilst utilitising your gym for what you can't do at home.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are looking for body recomposition (decrease BF%). I would suggest those 2 hours at the gym could be better spent doing 1 hour of free weight lifting, following a programme such as Stronglifts 5x5.

On 1 or 2 other days per week you could be doing body weight exercises if you felt 2 hours was not enough.

Read this for inspiration: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You dont just need to lift to tone :D. Thats the beauty of it. Body weight excercise is good to tone up.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^ This