Workout Suggestions for poor college kid

eillamarie
eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I need some new workout suggestions!!

I'm an ex competitive swimmer so I'm very familure with the pool and the gym and the cardio machines, but I need some additional ideas so I don't get bored. I'm open to both home & gym workout ideas. I love body weight and ab exercises and I have a very small apartment so space can be an issue. I don't have a TV & my laptop doesn't work so well so DVDs are out. I'm also not much of a class girl, even when I could afford it. I do however love looking up videos on youtube, so if somebody knows some good ones I'm open to those suggestions as well (and yes I've heard of BodyRock).

Equipment I have @ home: yoga mat, 2X 10lb kettle bells, balance ball, stretch/resistance tubing.

Suggestions please??

Replies

• Well...it looks like you have the experience and the tools to be quite successful. You know, any effort expended for about 45 minutes to an hour including stretching with the tools you have on hand will do a lot of good.
    There's a lot of exercises that can be done using the ball that promote stability...do a search for stability exercises...those are always interesting, use body weight and are great resistance training.
    I'm sure there will be other posts reassuring you that you are on the right path.
    If you get burned out on running or swimming then hit the hiking trail for an hour for a brisk walk, that actually burns quite a few calories too and can break up the monotony.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    I am underemployed right now ( = broke !) and started running outside during the summer and am facing snow any day now, so I sympathize w/ your current situation. I'm in the same boat, but w/ no equipment!

I haven't used this myself, but if you are accessing YouTube, you can also access this site:

http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/Exercises.asp
    You can pick your level, body part, equipment (or just bodyweight).

I can't remember if someone else here posted about the site or I would credit them ( :ohwell: ) - I just happened to have it bookmarked. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • eillamarie
    Well...it looks like you have the experience and the tools to be quite successful. You know, any effort expended for about 45 minutes to an hour including stretching with the tools you have on hand will do a lot of good.
    There's a lot of exercises that can be done using the ball that promote stability...do a search for stability exercises...those are always interesting, use body weight and are great resistance training.
    I'm sure there will be other posts reassuring you that you are on the right path.
    If you get burned out on running or swimming then hit the hiking trail for an hour for a brisk walk, that actually burns quite a few calories too and can break up the monotony.

I wish I could use the trails! I live in a very cold and icy part of Canada, & I don't have the proper shoes to venture out for that kind of a walk :( I'll look up some ball exercises tho, never thought to do that!
  • eillamarie
    I am underemployed right now ( = broke !) and started running outside during the summer and am facing snow any day now, so I sympathize w/ your current situation. I'm in the same boat, but w/ no equipment!

I haven't used this myself, but if you are accessing YouTube, you can also access this site:

http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/Exercises.asp
    You can pick your level, body part, equipment (or just bodyweight).

I can't remember if someone else here posted about the site or I would credit them ( :ohwell: ) - I just happened to have it bookmarked. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:

I checked it out & like it! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.