i think my scale is broken

Options
Ok so i dont like to weigh myself everyother day but on my weigh in morning, which was wednesday it said i was down 2lbs. yay. i get back on the scale to double check like i always do and it went up 2lbs. check it again and again down 1 lbs. ok maybe it needs new batteries. Today i get on the scale and it is up 4lbs. i have been under my calories and going to the gym, there is no freaking way that i can be up 4lbs. we have a digital scale and one of our family members is way to heavy for it, but i know she definetly tries to use it. could that break the scales in workings?

New scale or try and change the batteries? or am i freaking out over a weight gain that could be muscle or water retention, but i dont think its that. HELP ME

Replies

• Fiona711
    Options
    Is it almost "that time of the month?" I have learned over several months to not so much as look at the scale the week before my period because my numbers are all over the place. I just stick to my eating/exercise plan and check in a week later...
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Try weighing in only once a week. Weight fluctuations during the week, due to water....hormones....life.....can be discouraging. Don't let these fluctuations throw you off track. Step away from the scales! Keep eating right, exercising and drinking water. Eventually those scales will cooperate. If not, toss them and get some high quality scales for yourself for Christmas! You deserve it! :flowerforyou:
  • hchristine
    Options
    I had the same issue with many of my old scales. I would spend 20-40 dollars on scales all the time for that reason. I finally did some checking and found a scale that has high ratings. I spent around 80 on it but it is very accurate and consistent so well worth the investment. I can step on it 10 times and the most it would vary is .2 pounds and usually doesn't even do that. It also sends my weight right to my computer. If you want to check it out it's called Lifesource Wireless Precision Scale UC-324THW.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your sodium intake? Sodium can cause you to retain fluids (making you think you're gaining weight). Sometimes just drinking more water can help your body flush the fluids out of your body. Suggested sodium intake on most sites... no more than 2,500mg, but for me, I function best around 1,500mg. There is a lot of sodium in processed foods like soup and canned veggies.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The same thing has happened to me a few times and there are factors why it can happen (besides haven't a faulty scale). I resign myself, if I'm eating within my calories and exercising, then only weigh yourself every two weeks or so. Then you see at least some movement.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigh-er, and I have seen 4-5 lb fluctuations in a day or two span frequently. My own experience recently (over past couple of months) was that I was not losing or losing and gaining the same 2-4 lbs every week/every other week. After about 4-5 weeks without losing, I increased my calories and started losing again. Then I hit another couple weeks without losing, panicked and dropped them back down again. And I didn't lose anything for another 6 weeks. 2 weeks ago I increased them again and I lost 1.5 lbs the first week and 2.5 lbs this week. I think in my case, I wasn't eating enough and my body was holding onto everything I DID eat. Perhaps you aren't eating enough if you are doing a lot of exercise.

I had recently started Zumba (LOVING IT!!) and I think I just wasn't giving my body enough fuel for the amount of exercise I was doing. I know it seems puzzling, but it has worked for me a couple times to increase my calories - I've hit 2-3 plateaus and each time I increased my calories, I started losing again.

At any rate, if you weight daily, you are GOING to see fluctuations, no way around it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    First off, you don't need to be under your calories. MFP already calculates a calorie deficit, there's no need to cut out more. Your aim should to be meet your goal, not be under. Also, there are days where you are significantly under your goal, 800 or 900 calories. That's just not enough. The general rule is that you need at least 1200 net calories per day. Meeting your goal will help you lose weight more than cutting so many calories. If you continue the way you're going there will come a point when you stop losing completely and your body will start storing fat instead.

Second, I recommend weighing twice a week. It's frequent enough that you can see almost immediate changes but not so frequent that you pick up the daily fluctuations.

And as far as your scale goes, you might want to get one of your very own if you suspect your family member of breaking the one you're currently using. Just keep it in your closet and bring it out when you do your weigh ins.
  • JakeNonne
    JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problems with my scale. Here are some tips I discovered:
    - Keep the scale in one place. Don't move it. Scales like to stay put.
    - Place scale on a very flat surface. There shouldn't be any wobble.
    - When you stand on it, put your feet in the same place with your weight even distributed. Feet shouldn't be hanging over the edge.
    - If you have to move the scale, let it rest for about 20-30 minutes to let the mechanical parts stablize then recalibrate it.
    - Weigh yourself the same time of day at each weigh-in. I weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the little boys room. :blushing:
    - Sodium causes water retention which appears as weight gain. I will gain 4 lbs in one day if I have more than 3000 mg of sodium. Then it takes two or three days for it to work itself out of my system.

I hope this helps!
  • crissi66
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I've had the same problems with my scale. Here are some tips I discovered:
    - Keep the scale in one place. Don't move it. Scales like to stay put.
    - Place scale on a very flat surface. There shouldn't be any wobble.
    - When you stand on it, put your feet in the same place with your weight even distributed. Feet shouldn't be hanging over the edge.
    - If you have to move the scale, let it rest for about 20-30 minutes to let the mechanical parts stablize then recalibrate it.
    - Weigh yourself the same time of day at each weigh-in. I weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the little boys room. :blushing:
    - Sodium causes water retention which appears as weight gain. I will gain 4 lbs in one day if I have more than 3000 mg of sodium. Then it takes two or three days for it to work itself out of my system.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Jake.
    We usually keep the scale in the corner but we have to move it use it properly. i guarantee i dont wait long enough to let it calibrate. I had boston market on thursday i bet there is a monstrous amount of sodium in that. I wont be weighing myself until next wednesday morning. In the mean time im gonna look for a cheap nondigital scale i can bring in my room with me after i weigh in on wednesday mornings and sunday nite. Thank you. you are always a wealth of knowledge and encouragement :flowerforyou: