Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What if you don't track exercise?

2»

Replies

• Well according to Steve Turano, the average person only burns 70 calories through 15 minutes of exercise. So, sometimes I feel we overestimate how much we are burning.

I don't know who these Steve Turano is or what he considers average people, but the more you weigh the more you burn. I can't speak for others, but I use a HRM with strap, and nothing is exact but it's close enough to accurate without me having to worry about overestimating.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,838 Member
    Since losing weight means one's sedentary TDEE goes down, my plan is to keep my calories steady but up my activity until that doesn't work anymore. I need to lose weight. I also need to move more. I love to eat and I'm not left hungry at 1750 cal. Seems like a no-brainer.

Ignore that I'm only 4 pounds down right now. That's due to avoiding MFP, eating to excess, and being a total couch potato. When I'm on the ball, I lose 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week like clockwork. See, the problem's really between my ears.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Well according to Steve Turano, the average person only burns 70 calories through 15 minutes of exercise. So, sometimes I feel we overestimate how much we are burning.

Uhm, I call B.S. that the average person burns 280 cals in an hour of cardio. When I was obese I burned 700-800 cals an hour doing Zumba. Now I do 300-350 because I'm not that tall or wide. And I don't "need" to lose weight, I lean out towards races at 117-118 lbs at 5'4". Anyone who needs to lose weight will burn plenty in an hour of cardio. The bigger you are, the more you burn.

Maybe you're right. I'm just going by what he said. But here is his video about Zumba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6feTIQDGW4

Eh, maybe I would have learned something if I had finished it but I stopped pretty early on when that video showed a link to a fat loss pill website and the website has one of his videos on their main page.
  • [/quote]

Well you have to understand that our bodies also burn calories at rest, so you have to deduct those calories as well to get your ''net'' calories. I'm not saying cardio is bad, it's the only thing that ''causes'' calorie loss. Dieting is ''passive'' while as working out is actually utilizing calories.
    [/quote]

This is true , but I was under the impression that once you enter, all your info into MFP system it already takes that in to account. Not that it matters as long as I know I worked out , burned some calories, and created a calorie defecit for the day I'm happy...lol
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
    I have changed my exercise to lightly active :) I am also going to be working out 4/5 times a week which will be made up of 3 20 min HI work outs, 30 min 10 min solution toning and either another cardio DVD or a 45 min Burlesque class per week (it starts in September) so I will continue not counting calories and see if I have lost any weight by next week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    The rule of thumb is that cardio exercise does not burn a lot of calories, so in order for you to utilize calories, you have to do lots of it. Cardio that involves complete motion of the legs will be the best. I think 60 to 90 minutes a day is recommended for fat loss. That and a sensible diet. So I could see how just doing a half hour of something won't have an effect.
    ^ wrong!
    OP log um or not, you always have the option of just not eating them back. I like to log them just so I can see if I'm making the exercise goals I've set for myself; I just don't eat them back (gives room for miscalculations).
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    When I was logging food daily, I'd eat to a certain amount of calories a day. I'd then see over time whether my calorie expenditure vs my calorie intake was correct for the goal I had.

Or to put it simply, if you are intending to lose weight, aim to eat 1700 calories a day, do whatever exercise you want, see whether you lose or gain weight after a month. If you are losing, then keep going. If you find you're not, reduce your intake to 1600.
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
    Thank you for the advice :)