How much protein do I need during weight loss?

Options
I searched on google but couldn't find a satisfactory answer. I am a vegetarian and my protein intake is very low. I want to know how much grams of protein do I need to eat daily?

Height: 5' 11''
Weight: 190 Lbs

I am losing weight at 1-1.5 Lbs per week currently.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I searched on google but couldn't find a satisfactory answer. I am a vegetarian and my protein intake is very low. I want to know how much grams of protein do I need to eat daily?

Height: 5' 11''
    Weight: 190 Lbs

I am losing weight at 1-1.5 Lbs per week currently.

The rule of thumb is one gram protein per pound lean body mass.
  • bukowski_shine
    bukowski_shine Posts: 70 Member
    Options

How do I calculate lean body mass?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    0.8g per lb of weight is sufficient.
  • Rocket_Man44
    Options
    If you're cutting stick to 1 gram per lb of bodyweight , offseason/bulking/maintenance stick to 0.8-0.9 gram per lb.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130829110430.htm

"A new report challenges the long-held adage that significant muscle loss is unavoidable when losing weight through exercise and diet. In the report, scientists show that consuming twice the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of protein while adhering to a diet and exercise plan prevents the loss of muscle mass and promotes fat loss. Tripling the RDA of protein failed to provide additional benefits."
  • yopeeps025
    Options

How do I calculate lean body mass?

I personally use a bod pod. Others would recommend a DEXA Scan. There is a underwater weighting called hydrostatic weighing. I was told that test is very expensive. These test would figure out your body fat percentage. Then you can use that information to figure out how much lean body mass % then lean body mass in pounds.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    at 190 lbs you should be good with around 120 g

i just assumed you were 20% bf (which may be an over estimate, but it wont make all that much difference)

so 190 x 80% lean body mass x 0.8 g/lbs lean body mass= 121g

aim to hit this every day, if you go over thats all the better
  • bukowski_shine
    Options
    looking back at my diary, most of the days I am around 50g which is way too low. It's really hard to get protein foods without lot of calories in them.
  • BigT555
    Options
    from the article;
    Based on the sound research, many review papers have concluded 0.82g/lb is the upper limit at which protein intake benefits body composition (Phillips & Van Loon, 2011)
    it also makes no mention of g/LBM, just g/total mass, so the general rule of 1.0-0.8 g/lean body mass holds true by this article
  • bukowski_shine
    Options
    Doing 1g per Lb and still maintaining deficit seems almost impossible to me.

Will try to hit 100g-120g per day.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130829110430.htm

"A new report challenges the long-held adage that significant muscle loss is unavoidable when losing weight through exercise and diet. In the report, scientists show that consuming twice the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of protein while adhering to a diet and exercise plan prevents the loss of muscle mass and promotes fat loss. Tripling the RDA of protein failed to provide additional benefits."

Unhelpful post. Everyone knows some muscle loss is unavoidable, but protein also has a high thermic effect (approximately 30%).

1g per lb of bodyweight for me and it works well.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Protein supplements. They don't bite and can be made into awesome meal replacements if you want to.
  • BigT555
    Options

i hit 150 daily and my calorie goal is around the same as yours, though i am not a vegetarian
    look into protein powders, depending ifyou are opposed to eggs or not they can provide a large amount of protein as well (or fish for that matter if you are pescatarian)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Its actually not that difficult, just have a good protein source with each meal. Eggs, peanut butter, greek yoghurt, tuna (if you eat fish), beans etc.
  • bukowski_shine
    Options

Protein supplements. They don't bite and can be made into awesome meal replacements if you want to.
    But they are too expensive here in India

A 10Lb Optimum Whey would eat 40% of my monthly income
  • bukowski_shine
    Options

i hit 150 daily and my calorie goal is around the same as yours, though i am not a vegetarian
    look into protein powders, depending ifyou are opposed to eggs or not they can provide a large amount of protein as well (or fish for that matter if you are pescatarian)
    I do eat egg whites but 10 of them only provide 36g protein.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

But they are too expensive here in India

A 10Lb Optimum Whey would eat 40% of my monthly income

My protein is 2lb and can last two weeks. Also I drink way to many proteins shakes. Anywhere from 2-3 a day. Online shopping might do the trick to finding cheaper things.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm also vegetarian. May I add that protein is a little overrated and our modern day society consumes way too much of it.... We are brainwashed into thinking protein, protein and more protein equals optimal health - when in reality, they're saturated animal fats ;-( Not good. Anyhoo, surely, I'll get bashed by hey, this is a free place to express your thoughts. Read on below. great article written recently by Rich Roll, an amazing vegan super athlete that breaks the protein myth. It's super interesting! So no need for 1g of protein per pound of lean mass.

My suggestion: read Rich's article. You'll learn a lot about vegan/ vegetarian athletes, how they succeed and how much they really eat. About 10% of their caloric intake of plant based protein, believe it or not. Their pictures and success speaks loads about protein.