Night Time Eating

Options
2»

Replies

• exercisarah
    Options
    I often find myself doing that too, but i realized that if i actually am hungry, it's best just to have a snack rather than walking to the kitchen and having a million little bites of everything, because unfortunately "little bites" can turn into big calories. After supper, I usually wait a little while and then i'll have a bowl of lowfat yogurt with some fruit and granola, or a piece of fruit to satisfy myself and i'm usually good to go! If you keep getting hungry, you may actually be thirsty! don't skimp on the water or worry about water weight, your body NEEDs waters and it will make you feel full and remove the desire to eat. hope this helps! :)
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    My nutritionist used to say never to go to bed hungry, because you won't eat for hours and you'll be starving in the morning. That being said, she also said never to have large meals or uncontrolled snacks before bedtime. Eat a small portion of non-fat cottage cheese or non-fat Greek yogurt with a few berries (basically a low-fat or non-fat source of protein) 1.5 hours before bedtime.

I did find that as mentioned above, brushing my teeth after my final snack prevents me from wanting to eat more.

You should also drink plenty of water throughout the day, as water will give you a sensation of fullness.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Play video games or computer games. :P
    I can't tell you how many times Pokemon on the Nintendo DS has distracted me so much that I've fallen asleep in bed, not even in my PJs. Or play Sudoku, any comparative puzzle game or even Solitaire. Yes, Solitaire. Or you can read in bed!
    Anything that gets me away from the TV.. I find that watching TV and eating has always been my issue. :O
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I overeat at night because I'm bored. Try keeping yourself occupied on things other than the TV. I read, get on MFP, take a shower or even do a light workout.
  • countjackula
    Options
    Play video games or computer games. :P
    I can't tell you how many times Pokemon on the Nintendo DS has distracted me so much that I've fallen asleep in bed, not even in my PJs. Or play Sudoku, any comparative puzzle game or even Solitaire. Yes, Solitaire. Or you can read in bed!
    Anything that gets me away from the TV.. I find that watching TV and eating has always been my issue. :O

lol, do this. Brb playing videogames until 4:00 a.m. and forgetting to eat. ;)

Your body tends to adjust to WHEN you eat. If you keep on snacking at night you'll always be hungry at night because your body will come to expect food at that time. In the meantime, I'd recommend tailoring your diet to include a larger portion of protein for your last real meal of the day (which will tend to keep you feeling full longer).
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Work backwards, and fill in your snacks ahead of time. Maybe be seeing them will either help you cut them out or will help lower your intake through the day
  • thefatqueen
    Options
    I find that if I stay up later than I should, I am eating to stay awake.. so go to bed earlier.

I exercise in the morning, and then a smaller amount in the evening. It seems to help keep my appetite in check, and give me a few more calories that I am allowed to eat, if I feel i need them.

STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN, easier said than done. Clear your house of the crap you shouldn't be eating. Freeze those treats you feel you MUST have. By the time a candy bar, cookie etc defrosts, you might not want it anymore. Of course you can eat it frozen, which takes more time than eating it fresh.

Have water to drink to fill up that empty space in your stomach. i like mint tea (actually not really tea afterall since there arren't any teas leaves). For some reason, even without sugar, it seems sweet to me.

Keep your computer on. I dash to my computer and record my food intake the minute I get it out of the refrigerator, cook it, etc. It makes me stop and think what I am putting in my mouth. More than once I have looked at the calories and decided it wasn't worth all the extra exercise I would have to do, to use up the calories. I input everything, including the gum I chew. It all adds up.

Find something else to do with your hands, sew, knit, crochet, put together a puzzle. Challenge yourself to find distractions.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    lol, do this. Brb playing videogames until 4:00 a.m. and forgetting to eat. ;)

Your body tends to adjust to WHEN you eat. If you keep on snacking at night you'll always be hungry at night because your body will come to expect food at that time. In the meantime, I'd recommend tailoring your diet to include a larger portion of protein for your last real meal of the day (which will tend to keep you feeling full longer).

Tell me about it! When my D&D group meets at night for dinner and games, I end up eating half my dinner! -gasp-

And yes, your body will start to tell you, "hey, looks like it is time for lunch now!" or, "yo, where's my chips and salsa/oreos/trail mix/cereal you give me right about now?" So recognizing that it is a pattern will make it easy to break.