Laundry Detergent - I need your help

Options
Lauren8239
Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
Hi all. My apartment uses HE machines (cold water), so I've been using Tide for HE machines with no problems. A few weeks ago I switched to Gain, just for something different. After two weeks, my 18 year old daughter has gotten the most wicked hives all over her torso that I have ever seen. I believe it's the Gain detergent, as I researched online and it's a common reaction to Gain, apparently it's the dyes and scents that are so heavy. I'm just wondering what other people use? Do the hypoallergenic products really work? I know I can go back to Tide, but I'm wondering if anyone else has opinions on laundry detergent. Thanks.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have use Purex since my first child was born and never had a problem even with my youngest having sensitive skin.
  • Lauren8239
    Options
    Ah yes...Purex. I had forgotten about that one. Thank you. I googled and they have it for HE cold water machines. Thanks so much! :smile:
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I used the no colour, no scent detergents, whatever brand.because otherwise my entire family gets rashes. so yes, they do work.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have to use the no dye no scent laundry detergents. I either use All or the Costco brand. If I don't, I get terrible hives on my chest and under my arms, more so when I am working out really hard and sweat a lot.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I usually use the Tide Pods but I also on occasion have used the less expensive Xtra brand- Rain Lily and Aloe one and that one has worked good and not bothered anyone. My son has alot of allergies and he's been good with both of those.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Purex Natural Elements is the best! Smells great and is good on HE machines :).
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I make my own. One bar grated soap (I use Fels Naptha, but you can use whatever you like), 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda (different from baking soda). Very cheap to make. There are recipes for a liquid version as well.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I always use the products with no scents or dyes. Arm and Hammer has an unscented HE laundry soap that I get whenever I can.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I use Ecos primarily...it's HE, biodegradeable, zero dyes or perfumes, and made in the USA...and it's way cheaper than anything else on the shelf in my area. I also like All Free & Clear and Arm & Hammer.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    All Free & Clear
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I make my own, has no dyes, fragrances, colors etc because i have VERY sensitive skin. It cleans wonderfully, is pennies per load.

The only time i use store bought, is I'll use some Tide if the cat pees on something because it removes the smell better than anything else ive tried.

But for straight cleaning, i make my own.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't use HE machines but I like All Free & Clear.
  • Lauren8239
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'll be choosing carefully at the store tonight. :smile:
    Oh, and enjoying washing all her clothing and bedding.......again. :sad: