Defeated...

Options
I have been on this journey going on 3 years now (joining MFP in August) and I have noticed that I am falling in to the same pattern. I start off hard core for a couple months and then my motivation and determination seem to fall off and then disappear all together. Then after a couple months of doing nothing I seem to find my motivation again and get back in the game...just to start the cycle all over again. One thing I have noticed is that my motivation and determination seem to slowly disappear once it gets cold outside.

It has been a couple weeks since I have been able to run outside and as the weeks go by I am falling back into old habits. I am beginning to feel defeated. My exercise and food plan are beginning to suffer. I am sure many people go through this, especially if you live in cold winter states, but I am not sure what to do to get myself out of this funk.

Although I am not going to meet my last couple of goals I set for myself back in August, hopefully I can get back on track so I can set new goals to meet. If anyone has any motivation that might help me get out of this funk before I undo all that I have worked hard to accomplish it would be much appreciated.

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I am right there with you!!! with the holidays I am just trying to stay sane right now....sooooooooo I have a plan that over christmas break (our work shuts down), I will dust off my p90x dvds. I'm not going to beat myself up, you shouldn't either.
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    Do you have a gym membership? I live in frigid cold Michigan. After a summer full of stroller walks with my son, bike riding and parks, it is hard to transition to indoor physical activity. I have found that having a gym membership has taken the place nicely. They are open 24 hours, every day of the year, regardless if it's cold! Plus, no matter how cold I am getting there, that cold air is refreshing when I come out of the gym after a good workout. Good luck to you and keep that blood pumping to stay warm!
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    Do you have a gym membership? I live in frigid cold Michigan. After a summer full of stroller walks with my son, bike riding and parks, it is hard to transition to indoor physical activity. I have found that having a gym membership has taken the place nicely. They are open 24 hours, every day of the year, regardless if it's cold! Plus, no matter how cold I am getting there, that cold air is refreshing when I come out of the gym after a good workout. Good luck to you and keep that blood pumping to stay warm!

I do have a gym membership. The problem is that before it got cold I was training for a half marathon. Now that I am running in doors I can't bring myself to run more than 3 miles (half what I was running outside). I think that is also contributing to my lack of motivation.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I find treadmill running more of a mental challenge too. Recently I decided not to beat myself up for not going as long or as far as long as I go!
    Changing up the workout is supposed to help too. Maybe swimming would be a good addition to your workout, replacing some of the running and combating the cold winter weather. I've wanted to do this myself but haven't started yet... maybe next week!
  • doris_day
    Options
    Wow - I'm going through the same thing. I had hoped to have lost a lot more before a Christmas party with friends who I haven't seen in a while. Since Thanksgiving I haven't lost anything. I am still working out, but all the eating out and parties with alcohol have set me back. It's a bit disheartening to go back to my "old ways" and so easy to do so.
    Not motivated to do much today since it's pouring where I live and freezing. Can't go do much when there is freezing rain.

I'm happy to be out the "eights" - meaning 180's and into the sevens - but I really wish I was in the sixes!

We just need to get back on track with one full week of being healthy.
  • ChelleBelle1
    ChelleBelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need some new inspiration. Try some new recipes, buy a new workout outfit, etc. I have fallen into the same situation many times when I just get tired of trying. It seems like it happens slowly, but before I know it, I am completely "off the wagon"! Have you been on www.hungry-girl.com? They have all kinds of tips and tricks to spice up your diet. I know that you are feeling unmotivated about exercise, but if you are anything like me, all aspects of healthy living go together. When one suffers, they all suffer. And when I get inspired in one area, it tends to carry over to the others. Good luck and hang in there!!