Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
What is everyone's take on these? DO you use them ? the best ones are you for or against them?
I find they are expensive , I also try to avoid the MLM marking drinks , they are way too expensive
protein shakes are so much cheaper , for about $20 I can get 2 lbs of whey.
what do you use?

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Total Lean shakes. They're not cheap but it's a LOT less than what I used to spend buying breakfast at work because I was too lazy to get up and fix something beforehand. This just gets tossed in with my lunch in my bag and away I go.

170 cals and 25 g of protein doesn't hurt either!
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I will look into them. how long do they keep you full and what is the avg cost?
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use Syntha-6 as a meal replacement. Works for me. Sometimes I add stuff like bananas or pb, but sometimes I don't.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein to boost my protein intake and help me hit my macro.

Be aware that this is not intended as a meal replacement as it does not contain other vital nutrients. If you use whey as a meal replacement, make sure you are getting adequate nutrition from your other meals.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake and a spoonful of peanut butter for breakfast, but it's not technically a meal replacement shake; just protein.

I'm currently finishing up some trutein, which is amazing (cinnabun and chocolate peanut butter cup flavors are both amazing and I just mix with water). Due to a price hike, I'm going to give optimum nutrition a try.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake and a spoonful of peanut butter for breakfast, but it's not technically a meal replacement shake; just protein.

I'm currently finishing up some trutein, which is amazing (cinnabun and chocolate peanut butter cup flavors are both amazing and I just mix with water). Due to a price hike, I'm going to give optimum nutrition a try.

Optimum nutrition chocolate peanut butter whey is delicious FYI!
  • BootCampC
    Options
    I am using whey for muscle repair and to get my macro higher , also to avoid snacking during the day. they say the best time to load up on protein is before bed but I would like to have a meal replacement for lunch /dinner for a cleaner meal.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I am using whey for muscle repair and to get my macro higher , also to avoid snacking during the day. they say the best time to load up on protein is before bed but I would like to have a meal replacement for lunch /dinner for a cleaner meal.

Cleaner than what? i.e. what are you currently eating for lunch / dinner?
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just started using Plantfusion Phood, which is a vegan plant-based meal replacement shake. It is similar in composition to Shakeology (higher calories and fat, but it's a meal replacement so I don't mind) but WAY cheaper (about $40/2 lbs)! I've only had it once so far, but it did leave me pretty satisfied for several hours. I plan to use it 2-3 times/week as lunch.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    From this response, I'm just going to throw this out there:

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/biolayne-video-log-12-clean-eating-vs-iifym-if-it-fits-your-macros/
  • BootCampC
    Options

Cleaner than what? i.e. what are you currently eating for lunch / dinner?
    cleaner than running to the Chinese food place because I didn't pack lunch :)