Looking for a Compounding Weights Routine

Options
Hi Pals,

I'm getting back on AGAIN.

I've recently got injured when jogging & using the Elliptical trainer - Spraining my feet.
As a result I want to limit Elliptical to Warm-up & Cool-Down and eliminate all jogging until my feet are better.

Therefore, I am looking for a routine that incorporates Compound Exercises (e.g Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Bent Over Row etc...)

Somebody on here must have followed such a routine with success.

So what I'm looking for:

1.. The Exercises.
2.. The Order in which to do the exercises.
3.. The Sets & Rep breakdown.
4.. The Speed of each repetition (e.g. Bench Press: 3 second lower - 2 second hold - 1 second lift - 2 second hold & repeat)
5.. How frequent, the amount of rest needed between training days.

Hoping some knowledgeable can help and/or tell us of their experience and what worked for them.

Thanks in Advance,

VH

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here.

http://stronglifts.com/
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're looking for something like Stronglifts 5x5 - http://stronglifts.com/
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother summarizing the work outs because the program is free so you can check it out as you wish. There is an awesome app you can download too and use it at the gym.
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am far from an expert in anything. But I have had good results with Stronglifts 5X5 as well as the additional Stronglifts 5X5 with the Ice Cream Addition. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5.

Google it. Mehdi breaks it all down, tells you what lifts to lift, on which days.

I followed the program verbatim for a year. I've modified it since then, due to strength gains and a desire to spend more time in the gym. I just enjoy lifting, and the day of rest in between lifting days is more than enough recovery time.

In short: You lift three days a week, 5 reps on each lift, 5 sets.

Day A: Squat, Bench Press, Bent Over Row

Day B: Squat, Standing Overhead Press, Deadlift.

Alternate A & B on trips to the gym. So one week you'll bench press 2x and the other week you'll deadlift 2x.

Rest between sets: Whatever you are comfortable with. The idea is to maximize your strength gains. I only lift when I'm properly rested. Sometimes this is 2 minutes between lifts, sometimes is more.

Mehdi's site has videos on proper technique for all the lifts, and he has videos for complete Day A and B lift routines.

It's a great strength training routine. I highly recommend it. I went from a 1-rep max deadlift of 225 (starting out) to 410 in about 9 months. Saw gains in all my lifts, muscle mass and strength are clear gains for the last year.

This won't help you lose weight - this is purely a strength building routine. I currently still do this workout as part of trying to maintain my gains and not lose too much muscle mass while cutting body fat. I have a lot of fat to cut, and so far this program has kept me strong.

Enjoy.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

This

The app will guide you through the routines, reps, etc.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I found the squatting to be too much for me in Stronglifts. I just could not recover fast enough between sessions. Old guy problems.

I used the first routine listed here and really enjoyed it. If one of the workouts beat me up too bad I just took two days off in between instead of one.

Exercise Sets Reps

Squat 5 5
    Bench Press 5 5
    Wide Grip Pull Up 3 10
    Weighted Sit Up 3 10-20

Deadlift 4 5
    Seated Bbell Press 5 5
    Barbell Curls 3 5-10
    Seated Calf Raise 3 10-25

Front Squat 5 5
    Close Grip BP 5 5
    Bent Over Row 5 5