working out before eating

Options
so I generally work out before i eat but i was reading another thread and someone said you shouldn't do that otherwise you don't burn fat you burn muscle. Is this true? btw i don't eat before working out because i'm not hungry in the mornings. I start work at 5am, have 2 glasses of water, 2 cups of coffee done work at 9am and go work out then eat something around 10:30 or 11am. Aside from the working out, which i just started about 6wks ago, this has been my morning ritual for years.

Replies

• Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1) Keep it simple: Do what works for you.

2) There is validity to working out after a meal, though it's not a hugh advantage. If you eat a little throughout the day, it's a minimal difference.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm getting up at 5:30am right now to train for a 5K....I can't even imagine putting food in my belly at that hour! I have no idea if it's right or wrong! :-)
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before working out, I walk 8-10 miles every morning and can't do that with food in my tummy. I generally start my workout at 6am and am done by 8:30, hit the shower then breakfast around 9:930. Have been doing this since February and am down 82 lbs and have a lot of energy.

I was never big on breakfast to begin with so a lot of times would just have tea and then lunch. Now that I am trying to use ground flax seed for inflammation I am having breakfast. ( I have rheumatoid arthritis and osteopenia)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    so I generally work out before i eat but i was reading another thread and someone said you shouldn't do that otherwise you don't burn fat you burn muscle. Is this true? btw i don't eat before working out because i'm not hungry in the mornings. I start work at 5am, have 2 glasses of water, 2 cups of coffee done work at 9am and go work out then eat something around 10:30 or 11am. Aside from the working out, which i just started about 6wks ago, this has been my morning ritual for years.

Been working out for over a year now on an empty stomach/fasted state
    Doing just fine.

First meal I eat of the day is around 1pm, post workout.
    Last meal is around 8pm
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Do what you want. Always do what you want.

It's nice to read lots of different opinions. Sometimes you read something and think, "Ooh! I want to try that!" But never let anyone's opinion deter you from the way you like to do it.

Your way will always be right for you. And when you feel like changing, do that!

I will say that I've spent a lifts time swimming without to regard to food, so I've done it on an empty stomach and I've jumped in immediately after eating. Cramps and vomit have never been an issue. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've never been able to workout after a meal and that even includes when i played morning rugby games. digesting makes me sluggish, not sluggish enough to effect regular living but definitely enough to getting in the way of putting 100% into my workouts.

Just do your workout and eat a good meal afterwards
  • josephsgoddess
    josephsgoddess Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    good to know. I would hate to be doing this to get myself healthy only to find out i was screwing it up lol
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    good to know. I would hate to be doing this to get myself healthy only to find out i was screwing it up lol

Honestly it is hard to screw things up if you are getting adequate calories and macros for your goals.