Body Wrap

Options
2»

Replies

• spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for a temporary fix to water weight? If so do an Epsom salt bath for 20-40 minutes right before bed.

This will make you feel so much better after a workout as well; takes the swelling out of your muscles and quells the soreness. Show me a wrap that does that.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried to do an at home body wrap? You know, the kind with tons of lotion, plastic wrap around the area and then you go to sleep. I've read that people have lost inches doing this, but I never know if those people are just paid to say that. So, that being said, I would like real people's opinions.

Wraps are scams! You can't get accountability from wraps.

You will be better off investing your money in buying a food scale and weight training.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine did one, and found it made no difference at all. The rep she bought it from said the more you do, the more results you get. Sounds like a waste of money, and lots of money.
  • PAXTSE12
    PAXTSE12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The epsom salt bath is an awesome detoxifier. I don't know that I've ever experienced any kind of weight loss or anything of the sort but it felt nice during and after.

As far as the whole wrap thing, I would never buy one of those package deal things, they are far too expensive. I was just wondering about the DIY one that is floating around with plastic wrap, lotion, coffee grounds..those things. Obviously, I know it's not meant to save the day with weight loss but I've never tried it so I had to ask.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Body wraps are an expensive way to remove a small amount of water weight; usually no more than 1 lb. The water weight will come back in 1-2 days. It's like being a little dehydrated. Sure, you might weigh a little less if you're dehydrated, but you'll likely not be able to stay that way.

Body wraps cannot:
    -remove fat
    -remove "toxins"
    -detox you in any way
    -reshape your body
    -cause any permanent changes in your body
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The epsom salt bath is an awesome detoxifier. I don't know that I've ever experienced any kind of weight loss or anything of the sort but it felt nice during and after.

As far as the whole wrap thing, I would never buy one of those package deal things, they are far too expensive. I was just wondering about the DIY one that is floating around with plastic wrap, lotion, coffee grounds..those things. Obviously, I know it's not meant to save the day with weight loss but I've never tried it so I had to ask.
    Yep! I take an epsom salt bath at least once a week. Relaxing, detoxifying, calming, anti-inflammatory and magnesium (absorbed through your skin) is great for inducing sleep.

I don't think many of us on MFP are looking for quick fixes for weight loss. We're here to do the hard work. But I've heard of friends who did the at-home wrap and weren't impressed. If it doesn't cost anything, there's really not much to lose!
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

I did the coffee grounds and coconut oil one. It was so messy and completely useless. Not to mention how greasy and yucky my skin was. All I did was waste some good coffee grounds and coconut oil!
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm currently sitting on my sofa wrapped in cling film and smeared in goji-acai-bilberry lotion solely to p!$$ the rest of you off.

Not even kidding.
  • aethre
    Options
    Okay, okay. I didn't really do it to annoy anybody.

I did it because I had memories of doing it a few times during a heavy wedding season about ten years ago to look good in various dresses, and couldn't remember if it worked or not. I'm pretty sure I was using Banana Boat aftersun at the time, god only knows why.

So I wanted to see if it actually did have an effect.

I measured, left it on for an hour and a half, washed it off and measured again.

I lost an inch from my ribs, just under an inch from my waist, and about an inch and a half from the fattest bit of my tummy.

So yeah, doing it at home totally has the same effect - I just used whatever lotion needed using up, I dunno. It's really not worth buying the expensive stuff sold for the purpose, just use whatever's to hand. But it won't last at all, it's to do in the morning for going out that night and you better be leaving the ball by midnight, Cinderella. :wink:
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I did one two months ago, lost an inch off each thigh and half an inch around middle. Have not regained inches, so it has lasted BUT I started my diet after the inch loss wrap, so suspect diet did the work, if that makes sense. The one I had was called a universal contiur wrap. My friend used a shrinking violet wrap and had same results. These two brands say it is not water loss, and has similar effect to laser lipo. My view? It was nice as a spa treatment, but I think even if these things work, you're still healthier to exercise and eat well!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just curious, where would one of these wraps take place? Lets see you roll out some saran wrap, pour lotion on it and what roll around on the tile till you're wrapped up? Oh wait I forgot the coffee grounds.
    Hmm
  • aethre
    Options
    What do you mean by 'where?' Anywhere you'd seem suitable to apply moisturiser, basically?

I think you may have the concept a tiny bit confused.

Measured again this morning, after 10 hours effects have reduced by about half.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Just curious, where would one of these wraps take place? Lets see you roll out some saran wrap, pour lotion on it and what roll around on the tile till you're wrapped up? Oh wait I forgot the coffee grounds.
    Hmm

TBH, I was still thinking about going to find my peanut butter. Hungry now...
  • DerFlexo
    DerFlexo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is still a thing? I mean, wraps are awesome if there's chicken in them, some nice sauce, but otherwise...

Wrapping yourself in cellophane only causes you to sweat. I can do that by looking at my bank balance.
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    Swap the lotion out for peanut butter and I could be convinced

Soon we will be reading in magazines that the peanut butter wrap is the newest thing
  • Joy12682
    Joy12682 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You all don't know what you're missing. I don't use all these crazy ideas that are on this thread. You have to have a scientifically based botanical formula. I don't use Saran Wrap either. It's not water weight. Its ok for people to go to a spa and pay hundreds of dollars for a spa body contouring treatment but paying $59 for 4 treatments is crazy ? No way. It works! It helps me see results after a good work out. If you sit around and eat cake and ice cream all day, don't expect it to work.