How do I find a job?

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    No problem! Thank you :-) And good luck on the job search...
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Use linkedin.com. Ask prominent leaders and hiring managers to a casual lunch where you can ask them industry questions and get advice. Worked for me. You'll be surprised at the leads and opportunities that come about from this approach
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    On paper, write down everything that you do. Details help.
    Once that is completed, take out anything that has to do with "Air Conditioning" and put something else in it's place.
    For example, if you say "AC Unit", use "Equipment" instead.
    Instead of a thermostat, it is "supporting hardware"
    And an AC service technition is now a hardware support specalist.

Once you do that, you will see that your skills don't just belong in the AC industry.

This is excellent advice
    Have you had success moving into a different field without having to start at an entry level position?

This is the the kicker if you're really trying to do something completely different from what you are currently doing...for example, if you wanted to go into marketing or something...it would be likely that while some of your skills would translate over, you would likely have to start at the bottom and work back up in a completely different field.

That said, I've had success moving from one industry to another on a few different occasions, but I've always been in the same field/discipline...just different industries.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Oh, when I say write down everything, I do mean EVERYTHING.
    Do you give reports to the boss on how many hours X job takes or, which employee brings in the most profit?
    Great! You now "run reports".
    How do you present those reports? Do you put them on Excel? Excel is a good skill to have. How proficient are you with other Microsoft Office stuff?
    Do you handle the bookkeeping and paychecks? That is HUGE.
    What about commercial job bidding?
    Do you keep an inventory of stuff? Do you need to keep track of it and forcast for future useage?

OK.. think if it this way.
    If you were to tell me how to drive your car, your answer might be:
    Get in, start it, put it in drive, and go.

The answer SHOULD be:
    With the proper key, place the key in the key slot located on the left door. Turn the key 1/4 way to the right and then then return to the starting position.
    Remove the key from the key slot.
    With your right hand, reach under the door handle and lift up until the door releases from the safety catch and swings slightly outward.
    Manually open the door to the fullest.
    In one motion, sit down behind the steering wheel.
    With your left hand, close the door by pulling it towards you in a swinging motion.

I could go on but, you get the idea.
    details.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    OP, you're getting some really good input. I stayed sort of within an "industry" but moved from private to government side as an admin. Then I moved up the ladder. I know have a job that "requires" a degree, but I don't have one. My secret? Taking risks and working hard. I had to take some big risks to get there. And I had to work twice as hard as everyone else to be noticed. It works, but it takes patience and planning.

You're in admin--that's a very flexible skillset that is needed in any industry. Identify where you want to go and throw 100% into it. Apply for those jobs that ask for degrees. Those descriptions are wish lists. Generally, they're not going to pass over a well-qualified candidate without a degree in favor of interviewing someone less-qualified with a degree.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Use linkedin.com. Ask prominent leaders and hiring managers to a casual lunch where you can ask them industry questions and get advice. Worked for me. You'll be surprised at the leads and opportunities that come about from this approach

This. This. and This.....
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You skill set should be applicable to a variety of industries. I have bounced from a variety of different non-profits from historical to animal shelters -- but I wrote grants, planned event for all. It wasn't a huge issue that I wasn't moving from historical site to historical site or shelter to shelter. You just have to create a resume that paints your skill set as universal.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    Apply
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I know this has been mentioned before, but Linkedin is great.

Also... there are a lot of free seminars on job finding and networking that people give. Start plugging yourself in... start networking.