How to properly measure rice, couscous, lentils, etc

Options
2»

Replies

• Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted about this?

Does the same apply to popcorn? Weigh it before popping?

What a nice photo, Caryn. I just popped a kernel. :embarassed:

Any friend of Kari's is a friend of mine :-)

AWWW I feel so speeeeeeeeeeecciiall lol
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    one cup of dry popcorn would fill a room! :laugh:

Best I go and fix my food diary then.... for saturday (I think it was) I put down that I had 5 x cups of popcorn! :bigsmile:

Caryn,
    I actually measure my popcorn both ways... if I'm popping it at home I measure the kernals - if it comes already popped (like skinnypop popcorn in a bag) I measure it as it is... popped...
    When I measure kernal I use a measuring cup - usually 3/4 cups of kernals is more than enough.. :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Measure these foods before cooking.

This isn't practical if you are cooking for more than one - I cook a big pot of pasta for the family, and can't really segregate what my portion will be in advance. From what I understand pasta essentially doubles and rice triples in weight from the water it soaks up during cooking.
  • joyfylgrl
    Options
    Alot of times, on things like pasta and rice, the measurement on the box states serving size for both raw and cooked.

This would be why I just go by box on cooked form when cooking for the whole family ;) So much easier!!!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Measure these foods before cooking.

This isn't practical if you are cooking for more than one - I cook a big pot of pasta for the family, and can't really segregate what my portion will be in advance. From what I understand pasta essentially doubles and rice triples in weight from the water it soaks up during cooking.

Partially this...I can't cook for just me...and not my husband and son...nor will I use two pots.

If you can weight raw...if you can't choose the correct entry...
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    The nutrition facts listed on all labels refer to uncooked weights.

Example, see the nutrition facts for Jasmine Rice:
    White_Jasmine_Nutrition.gif

Note: You should really weigh these items, especially since they’re calorically dense. A level, sparse, and heaping cup are likely going to vary by a significant number of calories.

As for the popcorn question, most labels look like this:

popcornlabelblue-Small.jpg

What I do is pop the bag then pull out and weigh all of the unpopped kernels. So, based on the above label, 39 grams of (unpopped) kernels per serving, 2 servings per bag, which means the front of the bag should say 78 grams of popcorn. The whole bag is 130 cals * 2 = 260 calories. So let's say that 5 grams of popcorn didn't pop (because I pick out the kernels and weigh them). That means I'm going to eat (78 g - 5 g) = 73 g / 78 g = .935 of the whole bag: 241 calories. Usually you have the option of picking "Whole Bag" for serving size in MFP. I usually do portions of the whole bag. Or, since there are 2 servings, you could multiply that number by 2 to get 1.87 servings.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    The nutrition facts listed on all labels refer to uncooked weights.

Example, see the nutrition facts for Jasmine Rice:

Note: You should really weigh these items, especially since they’re calorically dense. A level, sparse, and heaping cup are likely going to vary by a significant number of calories.

As for the popcorn question, most labels look like this:

What I do is pop the bag then pull out and weigh all of the unpopped kernels. So, based on the above label, 39 grams of (unpopped) kernels per serving, 2 servings per bag, which means the front of the bag should say 78 grams of popcorn. The whole bag is 130 cals * 2 = 260 calories. So let's say that 5 grams of popcorn didn't pop (because I pick out the kernels and weigh them). That means I'm going to eat (78 g - 5 g) = 73 g / 78 g = .935 of the whole bag: 241 calories. Usually you have the option of picking "Whole Bag" for serving size in MFP. I usually do portions of the whole bag. Or, since there are 2 servings, you could multiply that number by 2 to get 1.87 servings.

^^^This could not have said it any better.! :smile: