Ok... don't laugh at the question....

Options
So I had a physical at my dr's office this morning. I was weighed in at 138 pounds.
I am 5'4 and have a goal weight of 125.
Anyway, I came home and used my scale and weighted in at 140.9.
Which would you go by?
I know.... seems silly. But when trying to lose weight, every pound counts. I am also kind of thinking because I had to "fast" prior to my appointment that my weight at the doctor's was lower than my reality. I ate 2 small chicken tacos at a 500 calorie total after and weighted in at 140.9.
Thoughts?

Replies

• theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates throughout the day with food intake, water intake/output, and more. Don't stress about it. And don't weigh yourself more than once a day. I'd just use the 138.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    use the scale that you normally weigh in on, so probably the one at home

its rare to see 2 scales give the exact same number. instead use the same scale so you know that although it may not be 100% accurate, at least it is precise i.e able to track an overall trend accurately

eta; you should weigh in first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything, and after you use the washroom. this will help reduce fluctuations from weigh in to weigh in
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Just keep calm and get healthy...

Did you drink anything with your tacos? Liquid weighs more than you think... You should only weigh yourself in the morning. Scales could be slightly different too. Dr's scale is calibrated and correct - or at least it should be.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What I would do is

Go to sleep, when I wake up in the morning, go to the toilet and then weigh myself nekkid

And that will be my starting weight
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd weigh in first thing after getting up in the morning and go with that weight rather than the doctor's scale. Your weight after eating isn't accurate. I know my doctor's scale is 5 pounds heavier than what my scale reads first thing in the morning, so if I wanted the doctor's scale to read a certain weight I'd need to get there first thing in the morning and even then it's going to be slightly higher because of clothes & shoes.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I actually stayed off the scale recently (I try to only weight once a week), so I was surprised by the lower number at the dr's office. I'll stick with 140. That's about where I thought I would be.
    Thanks!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the lighter one because it sounds better
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. If using the lower weight makes you happy, use that. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How much did your meal weigh?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, but to compare over time you want to use the same scale and weigh under the same conditions.

So I'd toss them both out and weigh tomorrow morning before you eat.
  • MsSashaFire
    Options
    use the scale that you normally weigh in on, so probably the one at home

its rare to see 2 scales give the exact same number. instead use the same scale so you know that although it may not be 100% accurate, at least it is precise i.e able to track an overall trend accurately

eta; you should weigh in first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything, and after you use the washroom. this will help reduce fluctuations from weigh in to weigh in

This^^^^^
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    No scale is completely accurate. You are looking for trends not absolute weight.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Make another doctor appointment.
    Step 2: Smuggle home scale into waiting room.
    Step 3: After nurse says "doctor will be right with you," swap scales
    Step 4: Run
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'd use the scale at home but not either of those #s. You want to weigh in consistently and mid-day after you've eaten makes that tough. To be consistent with that you'd need to eat after a similar meal, at a similar time.

So perhaps tomorrow morning before eating/drinking but after using the bathroom: use your home scale and make a first ''official' weighin.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Then you're kidding yourself.

Consistency is key.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the 140 cuz that's the scale you'll keep using for your check-ins. But if you really want to feel better, forget about the weights you had today, continue your day, and tomorrow when you wake up, weigh yourself so you know what your weight is without any food in your system.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    use the one at home unless you plan on going to the doc's for all your weights.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The one you're going to use most often. So the one at home. That 2 lbs doesn't make much difference.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

Then you're kidding yourself.

Consistency is key.

It's 2lbs, who gives a flying eff?!! For real. Weight fluctuates all day everyday, a person would go mad and probably develop a very real eating disorder if they lived like that. Reason states that if you put on a pair of jeans and they fit nicely and you look good, then less than 24 hours later you are up 2lbs, try on the same pair of jeans..... guess what? They fit the same. If you're going to track how much you're losing use the home scale, or be prepared to make a doctor's appt. for every week to weigh in.