Beginner strength training program?

Options
Given the restrictions below, can anyone suggest a program for this beginner? A full pattern of progression for 2 months, then re-evaluate.

- Yes, I have searched the MFP and the net. If I missed something obvious on MFP, please throw me a link,
- All the training programs seem to include deadlift, bench press, and pull up. These are unrealistic

Here are my restrictions:
1. weak triceps, cannot do push-ups or pull-ups. Never done a pull-up in my life.
2. family has a history of knee problems. I don't yet, but I really want to avoid resistance with the knee beyond 90 degrees.
3. Concerned about lower back, not damaged, needs more muscle. Deadlifts look like they depend on lower back strength.
4. Bench press seems like a risky idea if the triceps are weak. Dumbbell press OK?
5. 60 yo. Just reality. Not planning to bulk up, planning to improve.

Goals within 12 months:
1. bicycle 100 miles in a day
2. balanced upper and lower body strengthening to protect joints
3. do 20 push ups
4. do 1 or more pullups
5. Become much more toned

Here is what I have gathered - for beginners:
1. Whole body training is better than individual muscle training
2. Resistance train M, W, F with rest between.
3. Work different sets on different days.

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts, Starting Strength, The New Rules of Lifting, and Strong Curves are all great beginner programs, and those last two have more advanced routines as well.

Deadlifts, when done properly, do not rely on the lower back. They are much more reliant on the glutes, and are an excellent exercise for the glutes, quads and hammies. Back extensions would be a much better exercise for the lower back, and can be done at home on a bed if you have an assistant to sit on your legs.
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    Try the strong lifts 5x5 program

Just do all the exercises with dumbells except the dead lift

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Just remember to keep a good posture, like others have said look of starting strength before trying anything major.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts, Starting Strength, The New Rules of Lifting, and Strong Curves are all great beginner programs, and those last two have more advanced routines as well.

Deadlifts, when done properly, do not rely on the lower back. They are much more reliant on the glutes, and are an excellent exercise for the glutes, quads and hammies. Back extensions would be a much better exercise for the lower back, and can be done at home on a bed if you have an assistant to sit on your legs.

agree with the post

but QUE?! at the bold, you most certainly do use low back in your deadlifts. you use prettu much every muscle along the posterior chain. there shouldnt be pain, you are most certainly working those muscles
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight Routines (though you can progress through different variations or add weight to most to make them harder. For different variations, you'll probably have to do some searching on your own, but aren't usually hard to find)

Nerdfitness.com
    You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

Or you can look into other strength training programs that tend to use barbells. If you don't have access to barbells, you can find alternative exercises that use dumbbells instead while still following the basics of the program.

Strong Curves (which has a bodyweight program included too)
    Stronglifts 5x5
    AllPros
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength

Bodybuilding.com has a great database for exercises that you can search by equipment. They also have programs there you can try out (like from Jamie Eason)
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Given the restrictions below, can anyone suggest a program for this beginner? A full pattern of progression for 2 months, then re-evaluate.

- Yes, I have searched the MFP and the net. If I missed something obvious on MFP, please throw me a link,
    - All the training programs seem to include deadlift, bench press, and pull up. These are unrealistic

1. weak triceps, cannot do push-ups or pull-ups. Never done a pull-up in my life.
    2. family has a history of knee problems. I don't yet, but I really want to avoid resistance with the knee beyond 90 degrees.
    3. Concerned about lower back, not damaged, needs more muscle. Deadlifts look like they depend on lower back strength.
    4. Bench press seems like a risky idea if the triceps are weak. Dumbbell press OK?

Goals within 12 months:
    3. do 20 push ups
    4. do 1 or more pullups

I'm a little confused about the restrictions. The point of strength training is to get stronger. That said, if you go into the process saying muscle group x isn't strong enough to do strength training it seems like you're missing the point. If your triceps are weak, do some lifts to increase your strength there. If your lower back is weak, do some deadlifts and add strength there. If you go into the process thinking you're too weak to be doing this I'm not sure how you will be able to make improvements.

Where are you planning on working out, and what types of equipment do you have access to there? Its one thing to suggest a starting strength type program, but if you're going to be working out in your basement and only have dumbells and resistance bands then the recommendation doesn't really help any.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

agree with the post

but QUE?! at the bold, you most certainly do use low back in your deadlifts. you use prettu much every muscle along the posterior chain. there shouldnt be pain, you are most certainly working those muscles

I didn't say that they don't use the lower back at all. I said they don't RELY on the lower back. The lower back is involved mainly in stabilizing the spine in the same way that the gripping and other arm muscles are involved in stabilizing the bar. While deadlifts activate a huge number of muscles, the glutes, quads, hammies are the powerhouses of the deadlift. If you're engaging your lower back for the actual lifting, you're doing it wrong and could injure yourself.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options

OP, I was a little younger than you are when I started out. I went the StrongLifts 5x5 & Starting Strength route. I have now accomplished all the goals that you have listed.

Check out the "Why I want to get in shape" section of my profile for more info on my experience with strength training.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused about the restrictions. The point of strength training is to get stronger. That said, if you go into the process saying muscle group x isn't strong enough to do strength training it seems like you're missing the point. If your triceps are weak, do some lifts to increase your strength there. If your lower back is weak, do some deadlifts and add strength there. If you go into the process thinking you're too weak to be doing this I'm not sure how you will be able to make improvements.

Where are you planning on working out, and what types of equipment do you have access to there? Its one thing to suggest a starting strength type program, but if you're going to be working out in your basement and only have dumbells and resistance bands then the recommendation doesn't really help any.

I agree completely. t sounds like you're especially nervous about getting injured. The solution is good form, not avoidance. You can do a 10 pound bench press. You can probably do a 25 pound deadlift. You can do a bodyweight squat. But you need to learn and practice good form while the weights are light.

Some of the suggested programs start at higher weights than you'll be comfortable with. But there's nothing wrong with doing those programs starting even lighter, using dumbbells or fixed barbells.

And it's very possible you're a lot stronger than you think you are.

By the way, deep squats are easier on your knees than partial squats. Knee pressure comes when you change direction at the bottom of the movement, and the deeper you go, the more the pressure is transferred to your hamstrings and glutes and off your knees. To save your knees, squat deep!
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I wouldn't call those restrictions; I'd rephrase most and call them "goals". I'm 47 - which is a lot closer to 60 than it is 30 - and I started consistently lifting just a few months ago. An outline of where I've been and what I'm doing is in my profile. My primary goal is weight loss which I do through a combination of cardio and strength training. I've gone from barely doing body-weight exercises in May to working with the barbell. Today my maximum sets were 10 reps each of squats@155lbs, deadlifts@155lbs, overhead presses@65lbs and bench presses@115lbs. (I do 3 sets of 10 reps when I lift - usually with progressive loads and my last set being the heaviest.) I realize that's very weak compared to most MFP'ers - but it's amazing progress in my mind when I think back to how much pressing a 5lb dumbbell used to hurt or how I couldn't knock out 20 body weight squats without getting severely winded. I'm a little stuck on the bench press at the moment, so I'm doing negative reps with my trainer to get past it. Sounds silly, but I'm keen to use the "big boy" 45lb plates for all my barbell exercises.

I understand your concerns about your back. I've been to ER a couple times in the past few years due to back muscles knotting up. (These incidents were NOT lifting related.) I've felt that almost happen a few times when doing overhead presses, squats and dead lifts -but it all comes down to form, in my opinion. I like to push myself on weights but my trainer has held me back a little to make sure I get the form down first. Also, I normally go slow on a new exercise until I'm sure I understand how to do it (more or less) correctly. For example, I've been doing the dead lift for about a month - but until recently it was only during my once-per-week sessions with my trainer. My biggest problem recently is my grip. The dead lift and lat pull down are getting heavy enough that I have a hard time holding on with my sweaty hands.

All the resources previously listed (Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, and New Rules of Lifting) are fantastic. I've read them all and use what I've learned as I work with my trainer. As for programming, I still leave that up to my trainer but am starting to be more vocal in what I prefer. For instance, I'm going to ask him to teach me how to power clean if he feels I'm ready, I'd like to move away from the t-bar row to a barbell row now that I'm getting stronger, and I want to dial down the reps slightly and add a 4th set with heavier weights.

There are a lot of young bucks in the gym. I was intimidated at first but am coming into my own. We all start somewhere. If I do nothing else, I'll do squats, dead lifts and presses all day long. I hope you get started and are as enthusiastic about lifting as me.

Good luck!

Sam
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Goals within 12 months:
    3. do 20 push ups
    4. do 1 or more pullups

You can and should be doing those squats, dead lifts, etc....people don't do them because they're already strong...they do them to get stronger...thus "strength training".

FYI, you start out pretty light on programs like Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, New Rules, etc and work your way up. This allows you to establish good form as well as eases your body, muscles, tendons and ligaments, and nervous system into things and you gradually progress over time. It doesn't matter how strong you are now...

All of the lifts you mentioned can be done safely and without injury if done properly and proper form.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, that is a large amount of information to review!

Nerd that I am, I will research and read all of your suggestions. It might take a week to get through them all, I will respond.

I have access to two reasonably out-fitted gyms with weights and machines, although the book "You Are Your Own Gym" is a favorite of mine.

Usually I begin learning an exercise (pattern of movement) with NO weight, then 3 or 4 lbs, then increase to noticeable resistance. I really concentrate on learning the proper form and what to watch out for with hyper-extension. (drop your elbows too low in a dumbbell bench press, things like that).

Lotta stuff to read. Better get to it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Jeez people learn to read. The man said you don't rely on your lower back not that it's not part of the lift. If you're relying on your lower back for the DL then you are setting yourself up for failure and a major injury. Back to the OP...
    Goals within 12 months:
    3. do 20 push ups
    4. do 1 or more pullups

That's a lot of goals and you may have to take something out, it's hard to work on a lot of goals at the same time.Going in reverse order...

RE #5: More Toned: This is largely a factor of nutrition. If you're cycling up to 100 miles / day, trying to lose body-fat, and trying to get stronger those goals don't all work together. You will need to eat considerably more just fuel the energy for that kind of cycling and any strength training. With the strength training you can have some good neural adaptation early which will help but eventually it fades after several weeks because your CNS becomes efficient at those exercises, and then being on a restrictive diet or doing long cycling rides can be counter-productive to strength gains. Figure out which goal is most important to you. If cycling is a primary goal then your strength training regimen may need to be more along the lines of 2 days per week which isn't StrongLifts or Starting Strength. Your body can handle a lot but it can only handle so much. You have 100% to work with, not 110% like many will say, and once you use up that 100% you're done.

RE #3 & 4: Good goal and you should incorporate that into your strength training. A Full-Body approach is still the right approach and you can superset push-ups / dips in-between pulling sets and superset chin-up(s) in-between pressing sets.

RE 2: If cycling is #1 for you, then you may need to do some research on what cyclers use for strength training. From what I've seen, it's not commonly a 3-day approach to strength training.

RE 1: Just make sure you understand what your primary goal is that you're going to work on.

Restrictions...

RE #2: Do you think Cycling 100 miles will help this problem?
    RE #3: No, lower back is involved but not the dominant pulling muscle or at least it shouldn't be. The quads, hamstrings, and hip flexors should be your primary movers here.
    RE #4: Yes and no. Most full-body methods will recommend the barbell.
    RE #5: Definitely consider what I wrote above about limitations and focusing on training goals.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Sam-I-Am, those are goals, I'm not trying to to everything at once.

Getting ready for cycling training is perfectly consistent with beginning strength training. The recumbent road trike is easy on the knees if one uses it properly. (the 'bent rule is "spin, don't mash!") Many people with leg joint replacements find recumbents more conducive to their joints and have trekked hundreds of miles.

Everyone thinks of the quads, glutes and hamstrings for cycling. Of equal importance for stability and proper cycling technique are the abductors including the tensor fascia, and the iliopsoas group is really needed to pull back the leg while recumbent. Frankly the hamstrings are pretty useless for producing power by pulling back. They are useful to take the load off the working leg.

So i got a lotta groundwork before more serious cycling training.

I easily have another 40 lbs to drop, Done it before, so I know the cycling system will be much easier to move. I learn the strength routines while I am losing weight - get in the habit of doing the right moves. Once I approach the target weight, then I start really moving into the strengthening phase which I have already learned. While I'm doing those, I'm joyriding on the trike, feeling the best cycling patterns without hammering at it. All in good time. It can happen.
  • shaddow101
    Options
    Bump
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Before I started, I watched a lot of youtubes on forms so that I didn't injure myself.