Shakeology?

Options
123457»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the entertainment... and for usmcmp's abs and Hornby's legs... good god dem muscles!!! That they didn't use shakeology to get!!!

You....I like you, but please don't put me in the same sentence as usmcmp. She is on a whole other level...lol. :)

Whatever! I have serious quad envy! If my quads were half as nice as yours I'd destroy the competition at my bodybuilding shows.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the entertainment... and for usmcmp's abs and Hornby's legs... good god dem muscles!!! That they didn't use shakeology to get!!!

You....I like you, but please don't put me in the same sentence as usmcmp. She is on a whole other level...lol. :)

Whatever! I have serious quad envy! If my quads were half as nice as yours I'd destroy the competition at my bodybuilding shows.

Yep, this is my favorite day on MFP ever. I'm logging off for the rest of the day now so it doesn't get ruined....lol.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Just go with science. There's no peer reviewed clinical study showing that drinking any supplemental drink for weight loss is more advantageous/superior than just meeting your essentials (macro/micros) and being in a calorie deficit. What's the biggest difference? Cost and preference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

http://www.news10.com/story/26016752/shakeology-has-been-clinically-proven-to-help-lose-weight-and-get-healthy

I can't find a link to the actual study. Can you provide the study and not a link to the news article?

I searched the National Institute of Health database and the National Library of Medicine and even the Medicus Research library (those are the people who claimed to have done the study). There's absolutely nothing on any of them that have this study. Even a google search of the Dr. who claims to have done it shows nothing except the news article.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=medicus+research+clinical+study+on+shakeology+

The study didn't come up. I want the study.

Sorry - I've been looking.

They are in the process of getting it published. I'll be waiting.

I suspect we'll *all* be waiting.

Ok, This is really something to read. Anything can be proven based on anything someone says. I did the research on the Doctor and the company that did the study and I have issues with this. I do have a Doctor but in computer Science and I had to go through a strenuous application when and if I did a study with or without human subjects, we all do if you go for a doctorate. It takes a minimal of 3 months to be approved for a study without human subjects and it is very detailed in the steps and the goal you are trying to achieve. This company states that they can get it done in 24 to 48 hours (http://www.medicusresearch.com/cro-or-universities/), which is not going through a Institutional Review Board (IRB) correctly to protect human subjects, IRB's protects the human subjects in a study. If this is medical like this study would be then there will be a medical IRB (example: http://www.cpmc.org/professionals/research/irb/compliancestatement.html). There is a lot more that has to be done which I wont go into here. Also the company that allegedly did the research is listed as a MRI company per the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The Doctor that did the study owns this company, but he wrote papers in these areas but has not released this study for some reason. There is a theory that he developed to study and test natural health products, but I see nothing on this particular study even on his linked in page of a release. Another fact is that a study is not announced unless they are in the process of publishing through some publishing committee. This takes between 4 to 6 months to do in some cases. The article that you have listed in here is from July 14 of this year. mainframe of a study is off. HE may be in the process but nothing has been published. So now we can go to the ingredients which this is nothing new where I can by most of this stuff that goes in and measure it myself and make or have the same results. That is no different than buy a whey protein at Walmart and incorporating the ingredients which will last me for over a month at half the price. Also the facts is that I can do the same with this type of protein drink and get the same results and sometimes better depending on how I use it and how I incorporate it in my eating plan.

Now lets compare.
    1. It may be a good meal replacement, so is Whey protein.
    2. This is not a fix all loose weight drink cause I can do the same with Whey protein at Walmart which is cheaper and replace a meal or two with it.
    3. Another is you need to exercise regularly as stated in health forms with both of these.

Last thing to say is too each his/ her own and what you may think works go with it and get healthy. That is the ultimate goal we are all trying to achieve.

So to the original author, If you want to use this product there is no need for me to tell you no or yes. This is completely up to you and its only you who can do it or not. Everyone is different on how they lose and they way you lose weight you just have to find yours that works and keep your self healthy. I hope this answered a bunch of questions or skepticism. I bet not someone will have at it. My post is not from opinion it is from fact and research.

boom goes the dynamite

tumblr_mmgvdgPQek1spiuxqo4_250.gif
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Ok, This is really something to read. Anything can be proven based on anything someone says. I did the research on the Doctor and the company that did the study and I have issues with this. I do have a Doctor but in computer Science and I had to go through a strenuous application when and if I did a study with or without human subjects, we all do if you go for a doctorate. It takes a minimal of 3 months to be approved for a study without human subjects and it is very detailed in the steps and the goal you are trying to achieve. This company states that they can get it done in 24 to 48 hours (http://www.medicusresearch.com/cro-or-universities/), which is not going through a Institutional Review Board (IRB) correctly to protect human subjects, IRB's protects the human subjects in a study. If this is medical like this study would be then there will be a medical IRB (example: http://www.cpmc.org/professionals/research/irb/compliancestatement.html). There is a lot more that has to be done which I wont go into here. Also the company that allegedly did the research is listed as a MRI company per the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The Doctor that did the study owns this company, but he wrote papers in these areas but has not released this study for some reason. There is a theory that he developed to study and test natural health products, but I see nothing on this particular study even on his linked in page of a release. Another fact is that a study is not announced unless they are in the process of publishing through some publishing committee. This takes between 4 to 6 months to do in some cases. The article that you have listed in here is from July 14 of this year. mainframe of a study is off. HE may be in the process but nothing has been published. So now we can go to the ingredients which this is nothing new where I can by most of this stuff that goes in and measure it myself and make or have the same results. That is no different than buy a whey protein at Walmart and incorporating the ingredients which will last me for over a month at half the price. Also the facts is that I can do the same with this type of protein drink and get the same results and sometimes better depending on how I use it and how I incorporate it in my eating plan.

HOLY CRAP. That was an amazing piece of writing, research, and analysis right there. thank you.
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP:

Buy a good protein shake (I use Eidopro Unflavored Protein Powder from Amazon)
    A good blender (I use a Ninja Prep Pro)
    Get some frozen fruit (I like Target's Antioxidant blend) 1-1.5c
    Spinach or leafy green veggie of choice (I prefer spinach bc the flavor is milder) 3c
    Add water or juice (I like Minute Maid's Just 15 lemonade) 1c
    And then whatever boosters you want: I like to add fiber. Once my Hemp protein powder comes, I'm going to add that as well as the eidopro (50/50 mix), and I have some maqui powder coming that I'll add.

A nice, filling green smoothie.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of premade smoothie mixes... I would rather eat bacon, greek yogurt, fruits vegetables, and take a multivitamin... seems to work for me.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Just go with science. There's no peer reviewed clinical study showing that drinking any supplemental drink for weight loss is more advantageous/superior than just meeting your essentials (macro/micros) and being in a calorie deficit. What's the biggest difference? Cost and preference.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

http://www.news10.com/story/26016752/shakeology-has-been-clinically-proven-to-help-lose-weight-and-get-healthy

If I didn't know any better I would say that is a native ad.... branded content... sponsored content.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I can't find a link to the actual study. Can you provide the study and not a link to the news article?

I searched the National Institute of Health database and the National Library of Medicine and even the Medicus Research library (those are the people who claimed to have done the study). There's absolutely nothing on any of them that have this study. Even a google search of the Dr. who claims to have done it shows nothing except the news article.

I know it's hard, but you gotta relax. PATIENCE.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I know it's hard, but you gotta relax. PATIENCE.

^this