Bloated Stomach and Health Issues...HELP!

Options
Ok, so I'm not sure what is going on and can't seem to get help, so I wanted to see if anyone can help or had the same issues. So basically the list of symptoms started about 5 years ago and is now a constant.

-Bloated stomach, looks like I'm 6-8 months pregnant.
-Gas
-Constant stomach pain
-depression and high anxiety
-tired and can't sleep
-can't seem to pay attention to anything
-dry itchy spots on legs\
-swollen all over
-can't drop any weight and only seem to gain.
-constant weight gain of around 2-5lbs a month.
-horrible mood swings!

When this started 5 years ago I would bloat up and have gas maybe once a month. A few times it lasted for a week and eventually I would get so sick that I would have flu like symptoms and vomit and then feel better and back to normal. So this was every few months so I chalked it up to food poisoning or IBS. No weight gain but up and down 10lbs.

Over the past two years things have increasing gotten worse! I now have all the symptoms above daily. It even hurts to put clothing on. If I have a good day its maybe only 4 or 5 in a month. I have spoken with several doctors and had lab work done. My labs are absolutely perfect! I thought it could possibly be a thyroid issue but my thyroid seems normal. The only issue with all my labs was a vitamin D deficiency. I have put on around 35lbs over the last year. I have tried everything it seems! I have been to nutritionist, which seems like a joke as I know more then them. I stay away from milk and now yogurt as it kills my stomach, explains the vitamin D issue. I work out like crazy when I have the energy. I love CrossFit, running, weight training and dancing and try to get into the gym several times a week.

So I'm not sure what to do anymore? I feel like it is a food issue. The countless times I have tried Paleo I actually start to feel better and my stomach issues seem to get better. The problem, is I can't sustain that way of eating more then 5 days in a row before the craving get the best of me and I fall off. I literally feel like walking around and punching people day 5!

Any help or advise would be very appreciated!!!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Switch to eating all healthy food if you aren't already. Eat a balanced diet. Take any supplements they told you to take. Log what you eat, log your exercise and track your weight. Log your symptoms: what is wrong, how bad is it, what have you done to help it and did that work? Take these things with you to the doctor. If they can't figure out what is wrong, get a new doctor. Keep going until you find someone who fixes you.

Don't give up and don't waste time with doctors who don't believe you or are too lazy to do their jobs.
  • al142
    al142 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have you had a doctor run the blood tests for celiac disease?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would try a different doctor. There is something obviously going on and you deserve to have a proper diagnosis.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    At the very least, you should be going to a gastroenterologist (stomach doctor). Lab work is just a start - it sounds like you need some further testing done (e.g. endoscopy, etc.) to figure out what is wrong.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    did you have allergy testing? maybe an allergy to gluten or something else
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Have you had a doctor run the blood tests for celiac disease?

^^This. First thought I had. (I have celiac)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    People with celiac disease usually lose weight, but you could have an allergy/intolerance to some foods. I can no longer eat peanut butter, bananas, milk, or ice cream without horrible bloating. Did your doctor put you on a Vitamin D supplement?
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    See a gastroenterologist and/or an allergist. What you are describing looks like allergies or possible celiac.

ETA: I am allergic to dairy. I stubbornly kept eating it thinking I needed the calcium and other nutrients. Then I got smart and stopped eating dairy altogether, and my symptoms (dry skin patches, blotchy skin, constantly runny nose, etc.) resolved.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i had this problem before i realized i had developed lactose intolerance - it was awful! some kind of food allergy or celiac would be my second and third guesses.
  • Hrussian
    Hrussian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the posts and advise! My next step is to see a gastroenterologist to find out what is going on. I was told to get a reverse T3 and also the testing for an allergy or Celiac. I am on a supplement for vitamin D and calcium.
  • akadiri
    Options
    did you ever find an answer...because i fit your description 100% and all my "doctor's" tests are coming back negative???
  • lulloa
    lulloa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Did you find an answer? I've been having the same issues.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    It's hormones! It's really common, and can be fixed through diet!
  • annathebitch
    annathebitch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A lot of your symptoms sound exactly like when I had gallstones. I didn't know for about 4 years till I had a really bad episode of Cholecystitis. Had surgery( Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy) and although it didn't go as smooth as planned, a year later I have none of the symptoms anymore.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd do an elimination diet if you have ibs this is good to know your food triggers. A fodmaps or gaps diet would be good starters. You may have celiac a, gluten sensitivity, leaky gut syndrome, diverticulitis ( very painful), colitis, chrones disease, Barrett's esophagus, gastroparesis or some gut bug problem like sibo which can be detected by a breath test or maybe a candida overgrowth. These are all the possibilities as well as autoimmune disorder.

I found if I stick to no breads or low carb breads or whole meal like Ezekiel bread is easier on my digestive track. I feel best when I eat home made no microwave canned heavy processed stuff. Like paleo but adjusted to your toleration levels of foods once you figure it out.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Try this website as a resource for information and products.
    http://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/
  • lreints
    lreints Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My thought was celiac disease as well. Both my kids have it and almost every symptom fits except for weight gain.