Coffee makes you fat? what?

Options
2»

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I think I'll keep drinking my coffee. I didn't find anything in pubmed showing a link between coffee drinking and gaining fat -- unless, of course, you add things like lots and lots of sugar and cream, in which case, it's not the coffee what's at fault!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24979152: "Coffee consumption retarded weight gain and improved glucose tolerance in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes and corresponding controls. This gives rise to the expectation that further insight into the mechanism of the diabetes-preventive effect of coffee consumption in humans may be gained by this approach."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25089347: "The present meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies indicated that light to moderate coffee intake is associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes, particularly in women."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24459154: "Coffee consumption was inversely associated with the risk of type 2 diabetes in a dose-response manner. Both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee was associated with reduced diabetes risk."
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I drink my two cups in the morning with a half cup of half and half and two tablespoons of sugar and I've been losing fat not gaining it. Not buying it.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    bullSh:tongue: t
  • mylovelyremedy
    Options
    Thanks for all the information, everybody!
    Very appreciated. :smile:

Still gonna have my cup of coffee every morning and afternoon :drinker:
  • billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yup this sounds like a load of BS!! Going to continue my 2 cups in the AM without thinking twice.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Nothing besides excess calories can make someone gain fat. It doesn't matter what it is (cortisol levels, medications, etc). I put 12 packets of sugar in my cup of 16 oz coffee twice daily (130 calories each time, so 260 calories total in coffee for the day) and I am a fit, thin ultramarathoner.

Would you like some coffee with that sugar? :bigsmile:
  • pcknits
    pcknits Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Coffee! The elixir of the Gods.

I say if you enjoy it, drink it. Maybe the correlation is sitting down while one drinks the coffee. LOL!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    joffrey-slap-game-of-thrones-o.gif

Shut your mouth...
  • _Thriving_
    Options
    joffrey-slap-game-of-thrones-o.gif

Shut your mouth...

^^^^ This!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    200.gif

If I didn't drink coffee I would never hit my 8 cups of water a day!
  • UK34
    UK34 Posts: 23
    Options
    Maybe the 6 doughnuts with every cup may be the culprit?

:laugh:

I lost weight no problem and kept to my 4 cups of coffee and 6 cups of tea every day. With Semi Skimmed milk (and I like it milky), no sugar.
    I add in about 150 cals per day for it.

Nothing that should keep you awake like coffee, keeps me awake so they can keep that theory. :tongue:
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every morning...and I put a packet of hot cocoa powder, half and half, and flavored creamer. I'm losing :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you're drinking full fat lattes with cream on top, but not a basic cup of coffee!

I have a splash of full fat milk in my coffee, so it's about 25 calories, and I drink 4 a day usually. I lost 66lbs, so I'm fairly sure coffee doesn't make you fat!
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't add caloric creamers and sugar, the coffee should be fine :-). Gotta have that cup of coffee in the morning ;-)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Enjoying my third cup of black coffee while I'm reading this.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm screwed if it does... I'm absolutely a "pots a day" kind of person rather than a "cups" of day kind of person.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Nothing besides excess calories can make someone gain fat. It doesn't matter what it is (cortisol levels, medications, etc). I put 12 packets of sugar in my cup of 16 oz coffee twice daily (130 calories each time, so 260 calories total in coffee for the day) and I am a fit, thin ultramarathoner.

Would you like some coffee with that sugar? :bigsmile:

LOL yes! I am a sugar fiend! Thank God I count my calories and work out, or else I would be a total diabetic by now.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lq4xnioTVz1qb49yqo1_400.gif
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    NeverCatchYourBreath Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    One of the studies the writer of that article used as a reference was a study of only 10 men. That's hardly solid scientific proof... I lost interest after that one...