Doctor's orders suck. Help?

Options
Even if they are for your own good.

Three trips to the pediatrist, two bunions, one needle to the toe, tendonitis in my achilles tendon, severe pronation, and a fancy new ankle brace and set of inserts later...I've been told that I can't have any fun for the next six weeks. Basically. I can't do anything that puts any type of stress on my foot/feet. I was specifically told (with finger counting and wagging) "No walking. No running. No treadmill. No elliptical. No biking. No heavy weights. No jumping. Nothing." I said, "Well what CAN I do?" Swimming the response I received. That's great I can do that. I have a pool. It just gets old after about an hour.

Six weeks is a long time. Especially when a lot of my work outs DO include my legs/feet. I've come this far and I don't want to backslide. It terrifies me even though I *know* I will not allow myself to do that.

So, here I post to you fine people looking for advice, upper body workouts, and full body work outs that 1. will not strain my freakin' foot, and 2. I can actually do at the gym (or in the pool).

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics as long as you keep your foot steady. You could also do a variation of a squat thrust. Instead of standing, sit in a chair and punch). May look silly, but it can really get your heart pumping.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I would tell your doctor he better change his attitude about your health or you're going to stop seeing him.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Swimming doesn't need to be boring at all! Check out all the different water exercise videos on YouTube. Some are really quite fun and most are a decent workout.

Sorry about your medical setback, but before you know it you'll be back at it.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would tell your doctor he better change his attitude about your health or you're going to stop seeing him.

How is that going to help? He's given advice to keep her from re-injuring herself or possibly making it worse. His attitude may not had been tactful, but his advice should still be taken.

OP, look online for possible pool workouts that could be fun and could help. Most importantly, focus on getting better and being at 100% again.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Go on youtube and do a search for "chair aerobics." There are lots of exercises you can while you are sitting down.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Yeah, you're right bro. Best she risk permanently injuring her foot so that she doesn't have to miss out on all of 6 weeks of training. Because, you know, there's just no coming back from 6 weeks of recovery. Her doctor sure is a quack.
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    As I said, this was the third trip to see him. If it'd been the first, I may have been put off, but it isn't the first time I've heard it. Just the first time it was pretty much..the only option left before a real injury. He's a straightforward guy (typical surgeon, I suppose..haha) and I can appreciate that. I don't want a doctor that beats around the bush.

I'm not whining about the pool, but I'd rather be in the gym. So thanks for the attitude/bump. Much appreciated.

I'd be curious as to any type of weight training I could possibly do in the pool that (real) people have actually found to be helpful..not just people in videos doing it for the video.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

Yeah, you're right bro. Best she risk permanently injuring her foot so that she doesn't have to miss out on all of 6 weeks of training. Because, you know, there's just no coming back from 6 weeks of recovery. Her doctor sure is a quack.

Chill, my friend... it ain't rocket science. she'll figure it out. If I listened to everything my doctors told me, I'd be a fat crippled slug sitting on the couch eating cheese doodles...
  • therealklane
    Options
    Cheese doodles, you say? Hmmm... :happy:
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just remember the pool rules too:

Tear-up-the-rule-book---i-001.jpg
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

wow i havent seen that sign since the 70s !!

in response to op, swimming is my main form of exercise and can only suggest varying routines to overcome boredom.
    i also have a tweaked tendon/ligament, and being able to swim will keep me sane.
    your glass is still half full,remember.
    gl
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same position for last 3 weeks and another 2 to go minimum, but I cant even use the pool - so lucky you lol! does drive you mad though doesn't it when you are used to being active!? I've felt quite down about it all, but it's only a short time (hopefully) and then you can be up and off xx

can you do hand weights (sat down?) or something like pilates?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Swimming gets old after an hour? Who wants to swim laps longer than an hour? And why would they need to? Your feet are perhaps the most crucial thing to your daily health and comfort, so if you want to, you know, be healthy and pain free, I'd just relax for 6 weeks and resume activities when the doc clears me. No one regained 80 pounds in 6 weeks
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The problem is even if you did have seated exercises you could perform there is a danger that you inadvertently put excessive pressure on your injured foot by forcing down to stabilise a movement etc.

Frankly I think you are being idiotic thinking about it at this stage in your recovery.

Enjoy your swimming and if you want something to exercise during this time perhaps exercise your mind. Learn to meditate.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If swimming gets old after an hour - do it for 45 minutes.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. I've been out for about 8 weeks with a hip injury, I've finally been able to recumbent bike and slowly start adding in upper body lifting again just in the last week. As much as it sucks I would just stick with the swimming and wait it out. I'd rather be sidelined for 6 weeks than 6 months... or longer if you keep pushing it.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Try to seek out a water tabatta class - it's awesome and really works you! (I don't know if I spelled tabatta correctly-:smile: )
  • therealklane
    Options
    I typically swim 66 laps in my pool, 132 lengths, which is the equivalent to a mile. It takes about an hour and a half. Yes, it gets old but I still do it. Never said I quit or had a problem with swimming. It just gets old. Therefore, I was asking for tips from others that have been in the same position.
  • therealklane
    Options

I swim in the diving area. I'm such a rebel. :smokin:
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Swimming gets old after an hour? Who wants to swim laps longer than an hour? And why would they need to? Your feet are perhaps the most crucial thing to your daily health and comfort, so if you want to, you know, be healthy and pain free, I'd just relax for 6 weeks and resume activities when the doc clears me. No one regained 80 pounds in 6 weeks

That's what I was thinking, lol. I don't swim regularly, but when I do, I'm exhausted and STARVING after swimming a mile (~50 minutes - 1 hr of swimming). I understand it getting boring, but man, it is a good workout.