Sensewear, BodyBugg, GoWearFit and athletes...

Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Came across this today and thought I would share:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21131865

Researchers compared energy estimate (EE) during exercise with endurance trained athletes. Compared results from Sensewear with direct-measure validated laboratory method.

My understanding is that these 3 devices are essentially the same.

"Conclusion: According to our results, the SWA (SenseWear Armband) does not provide valid results of TEE (Total Energy Expenditure)and ExEE (Exercise Energy Expenditure) in endurance athletes due to underestimation of EE at higher exercise intensities. It seems necessary to develop exercise-specific prediction equations in order to improve EE measurements in athletes."

Note that the study was done on athletes.

Replies

• tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Can you help me understand what this means for the average person (not an endurance athlete)? Do you think I can continue trusting the information I get from my bodybugg (knowing that it isn't 100% accurate as I've always known - can't remember the accuracty they say it has)?

To give you a little info about me - I work out at fairly high intensities for me, but I'm no endurance athlete. A typical workout for me now is 60 mins on the elliptical going between 75-85 RPM depending on the beat of the song I'm listening to :-) I do random resistance, but I keep the level low because I like to go fast to get as much cardio as possible. I also do step aerobics - I take a class where I typically make every movement count to the fullest and do all the high impact moves possible (I'm dripping sweat and working my hardest the whole time) and I also do aerobics at home. Anyway - the reason I'm saying all this is because I try to keep my intensity level pretty high, but I'm definetly not at the level on a fabulous athlete! I'm wondering if my body bugg is accurate enough to bother using (in your opinion).

Thanks!!!
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Ok, but what do they consider athletes and when does this become an issue?

I resently started wearing a BodyBugg do to the inaccuracy of a HRM for daily activities. I have found the burn on the Bugg is much less than what my HRM would output. And in some ways thay does make sense.

I am no endurance athlete, but I try and workout hard. 45-55 minute high intense cardio sessions (Turbo Fire, Insanity, etc) in combination with 4-7 mile runs. Good workouts...yes, but I don't think the study is speaking to the average/general fitness enthusiast.
This discussion has been closed.