Extreme Weight Loss TV Show

Options
CaitlinT10
CaitlinT10 Posts: 16 Member
Hi there-
I'm sorry if this has already been brought up but I am new here. I really enjoy the show Extreme Weight Loss with Chris Powell- but it's curious to me. How do they all succeed so well?! The people that are 200+ pounds and are able to completely change their lifestyle and get up daily at 5 AM, not mess up too much on their diets because they are consistently losing weight, and also work out 2 hours or more a day?
I realize they have a lot of help in the beginning but it makes me feel like a failure because they look so good after one year and I've been yo-yoing with my weight forever. What changes for the people on this show to make it "click"? How can I get the motivation and success like those on the show?
I don't have nearly as much weight to lose as the members on the show-- but I can't seem to lose weight like they do. Am I more addicted to food? Lazy because I can't get up that early and work my 45+ hr work week?

Thoughts....?

Replies

• JP_master
    JP_master Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    They create a healthy routine of exercise and diet...
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine that the motivation of being on a tv show helps. Who wants to look like a failure on tv?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    It's all about good habits. With good habits, comes consistency ,and then comes results. Stack a couple months together of no excuses for missed workouts and eating right 6.5 days a week, you'll change your body quickly.
  • LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine that the motivation of being on a tv show helps. Who wants to look like a failure on tv?
    This.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I watched the show a couple times and the achievments are impressive indeed. I guess that concentrating only in losing weight allow the contestants to drop weight rather quickly. A couple years back I went from size 38 to size 32 in only two months (dropping nearly 60 pounds). I hit the gym almost three hours a day and ate only healthy food (going vegetarian a couple days in between). Unfortunately I gained everything back plus a little extra, and the motivation for me now is to get healthy. I also work 45+ hours a week, so I would not be dropping weight fast, but better safe and slow. Sorry that I wrote too much, but no, I don't think that you are lazy. I tried to woke up early for a while to do yoga, but at the end of the day i was fulminated, so now I am going to the gym in the afternoon. Good luck in your weight loss journey
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

This, along with having guidance available. I don't watch the show or know much about it, but I'd say they are provided with dietitians and/or nutritionists, personal trainers, and other people who watch their food intake and exercise.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Well in another 30 days I'll hit my 1st mfp-versary (however I only really got on board since Xmas).

I started out at 224lbs. I work night shift 10 -12hrs. I hit the gym after I finish my shift (I would NOT go after I went home & slept). I now do workout DVD's at home too. And routinely go for 6mile walks.

During this time I've lost 51lbs, kicked an alcohol habit, gone from being practically sedentary to moving a bit more, currently quitting smoking. And I've stopped bingeing for the most part although my diet is damn shy of being "perfect"

I guess it doesn't have to include someone shoving a camera in your face. Or resting it on your *kitten* - you just need to hit the point where you think "am I up for doing this or aren't I?". The rest just falls into place.
  • Muscles_and_lipstick
    Muscles_and_lipstick Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I love this show....much better than the Biggest Loser.

They have the huge benefit of spending the first three months away from home with Chris Powell. Think about it, no work, no spouse or kids, no house to manage, I don't even think they cook their own meals.....your only priority is YOU! That gives them three whole months to develop new healthy habits. When they go home they have the mental benefit of success from the almost fail-proof three month boot camp. How empowering would that be??? Going from Being morbidly obese your whole life, chasing fad diets to Losing 110 pounds in 90 days, going from couch potato to pushing a heavy sled !

And yes, the T.V, cameras would be a huge motivator :)
  • CaitlinT10
    CaitlinT10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well in another 30 days I'll hit my 1st mfp-versary (however I only really got on board since Xmas).

I started out at 224lbs. I work night shift 10 -12hrs. I hit the gym after I finish my shift (I would NOT go after I went home & slept). I now do workout DVD's at home too. And routinely go for 6mile walks.

During this time I've lost 51lbs, kicked an alcohol habit, gone from being practically sedentary to moving a bit more, currently quitting smoking. And I've stopped bingeing for the most part although my diet is damn shy of being "perfect"

I guess it doesn't have to include someone shoving a camera in your face. Or resting it on your *kitten* - you just need to hit the point where you think "am I up for doing this or aren't I?". The rest just falls into place.

Wow that's really inspiring. I've never hit my goal like that because I can't seem to stick with it. I think the eating right is the hardest part. I'm fine with the exercise. Congrats on losing so much weight in just one year!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

Wow that's really inspiring. I've never hit my goal like that because I can't seem to stick with it. I think the eating right is the hardest part. I'm fine with the exercise. Congrats on losing so much weight in just one year!

Thank you!

And by eating right what's the issues specifically? As I stated I don't eat "well" per say. I disregard my macros & I was following TDEE (loosely) so my burns were already accounted for, but I have been averaging around 1,500-1,900 cals per day. As I stated I do binge though so some days I hit 2,000-3,000 cals. However I've been lucky enough to generally hit a weekly deficit and still drop the weight.

To be honest it all depends on your personal goals. I have every intention of hitting my GW by this Xmas. And I know I'll have to address my macros & maintain a better grip of my deficit next year if I want to get some recomp going. Saying all of that I have every intention of still working chocolate & ice cream in there because I love it!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I follow Chris and Heidi on facebook, and they actually blogged about the "secret" the other day. The secret was: make promises to yourself, and don't break those promises (here is the blog if you want to read it for yourself: http://heidipowell.net/8679/it-really-is-all-about-promises-2/).

And I have to say I agree. The basic rule of weight loss is the same for everyone - create a calorie deficit through diet, through exercise, or through a combination of the two. If you want long-term, sustainable success, you have to find a way of eating and exercising that you are happy to maintain for the rest of your life. Making small changes as you go along and building on your experience is often the best way to transform your body and your mind.

I started out simply eating whatever I wanted as long as it fit into my calorie goal. Then I committed myself to just 20 minutes of exercise 4-5 days out of the week. Once I had that down, I started paying more attention to my nutrition, and as the weight came off, I found that not only was I physically capable of doing more with my body, but I also enjoyed activities that I previously didn't like or couldn't do. Now I feel like I've really developed a new lifestyle that I'm very happy with. I aim for a balanced and moderate diet (nothing is off limits or "bad"), and I try to do something active every day.

Even a small step is still a step in the right direction. :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, I think a lot of it starts with a commitment. The 'click' has already happened for these people, that's why they seek out Chris' help. Also, aside from the initial time away from home, they get a home gym set up and are constantly being checked in on by Chris. It's not like they're suddently on their own. He's there to support them the whole way.

Question - are there follow ups on these folks? Do we know if they have all kept them weight off and does Chris continue to provide them with support? I've only watched the show a couple times so I'm honestly curious.
  • MustangSallyVA
    MustangSallyVA Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you google the show and past contestants. From what I have read on the internet ( and we all know it is ALL TRUE! ) LOL., They are also taking ALOT of diet pills and dehydrating ect. I have read a couple of articles written by different past contestants and it , as most TV shows are, is not what it seems to be on TV.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Because they really want to change their lives.

Mark
  • determinedgirl1
    determinedgirl1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love the show & Chris Powell as well, but there are so many advantages that the show has.

1. Personal Trainer Chris & Heidi Powell (amazing people)
    2. For the first 3 months of their transformations they are completely dedicated to their regimen. Real life doesn't get in the way.
    3. They spend a crazy amount of time from professionals learning how to eat properly, cook..etc.
    4. They go through a complete makeover; physically, mentally, emotionally. They get down to the root of the problem.

Do not be hard on yourself because you do not have the same results. Also, the less weight you have to lose, the harder it gets. That is why they lose so much weight in Phase 1. Chris & Heidi Powell do amazing things and help save peoples lives, but those people dedicate (or should) 100% of their lives to the process for an entire year.

Just the fact that you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle is a great start. Good Luck on your journey.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I just watched it on Tuesday night, with the former Marine , and the blonde who lived with her mom, sorry, cant remember the names, but she was 38 and 200 lbs overweight and he was weighed in at 410 lbs......I think she was 385, not sure
    I did notice that the Marine was gung ho from the start..........NO excuses for him, and he left to go to Colorado for the 3 month stint. The blonde couldnt leave because her mom has surgery, they messed it up, and now she was in failing health

I think the blonde wasnt ready to lose it........she lost 101 in the beginning, but then found every excuse to fail........she gained 3 lbs in one month that she was left to do it on her own and LIED about it

She even hitch hiked back to her hotel after a work out, and LIED about that to Chris and Wendy, his wife

bottom line........she wasn't ready, plus, and Im not a Dr or Psychogist, but I think she had issues......esp with her mom

If you aren't ready, you will fail.....end of story.........I like the show, just hate all the crying and psychoanalysis from the coaches.......

sheese, let em work out and save the drama..........
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you had access to free trainers, free gym membership, free dietician, free meals...and, I'm sure, some sort of stipend, you'd be successful also. The real challenge is after they're off the show, will they keep up with it when the stuff isn't free and they don't have the same level of support/coaching.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I just watched it on Tuesday night, with the former Marine , and the blonde who lived with her mom, sorry, cant remember the names, but she was 38 and 200 lbs overweight and he was weighed in at 410 lbs......I think she was 385, not sure
    I did notice that the Marine was gung ho from the start..........NO excuses for him, and he left to go to Colorado for the 3 month stint. The blonde couldnt leave because her mom has surgery, they messed it up, and now she was in failing health

I think the blonde wasnt ready to lose it........she lost 101 in the beginning, but then found every excuse to fail........she gained 3 lbs in one month that she was left to do it on her own and LIED about it

She even hitch hiked back to her hotel after a work out, and LIED about that to Chris and Wendy, his wife

bottom line........she wasn't ready, plus, and Im not a Dr or Psychogist, but I think she had issues......esp with her mom

If you aren't ready, you will fail.....end of story.........I like the show, just hate all the crying and psychoanalysis from the coaches.......

sheese, let em work out and save the drama..........

I saw it too and agree about the blonde not being ready.
    I was so happy for the former Marine though.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched the show, but I did lose 260lbs over 2 years, and have maintained it for 2.5 years now.

For me, it was a matter of finding lasting motivation to make a change. I my case it was my kids. I want to be there for them and set a good example for them. I want to see them graduate, have families, and be able to play with my future grandkids some day.

The other part was not making temporary changes. Getting fit/healthy and staying there is a lifestyle, not a fad diet. I still go the gym 5 days a week at 6am, I still run and bike during lunch at work. I was never a morning person, but quickly learned the only way to make sure my workouts happened was to do them first thing in the morning, before anything could de-rail me. I was never a morning person, but I decided that getting fit was more important than staying up late to watch late night TV and started going to bed early so I could do those early morning gym sessions.

One important thing I learned at the gym is that really fit people look like they do, because they bust their butts to look like that. They didn't win a genetic lottery. There is no magic, just hard work and dedication.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched the show, but I did lose 260lbs over 2 years, and have maintained it for 2.5 years now.

For me, it was a matter of finding lasting motivation to make a change. I my case it was my kids. I want to be there for them and set a good example for them. I want to see them graduate, have families, and be able to play with my future grandkids some day.

The other part was not making temporary changes. Getting fit/healthy and staying there is a lifestyle, not a fad diet. I still go the gym 5 days a week at 6am, I still run and bike during lunch at work. I was never a morning person, but quickly learned the only way to make sure my workouts happened was to do them first thing in the morning, before anything could de-rail me. I was never a morning person, but I decided that getting fit was more important than staying up late to watch late night TV and started going to bed early so I could do those early morning gym sessions.

One important thing I learned at the gym is that really fit people look like they do, because they bust their butts to look like that. They didn't win a genetic lottery. There is no magic, just hard work and dedication.

I've taken a rather long time to lose 155 pounds and not slipped back.
    What's your secret? Continuous logging or is it how active you are?
    Congrats btw! :drinker: