What's up with people eating Gluten Free ?

Options
You do realize glutens not bad for you unless you have celiac disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjpb7SFi3s

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yeah, whatever. My doc told me to limit wheat and wheat products.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Yeah, whatever. My doc told me to limit wheat and wheat products.
    So, you don't have Celiac........did they explain why you need to limit wheat products?
  • cdl42
    cdl42 Posts: 41
    Options

Do you realize you don't have to have celiac disease to need to go gluten free? You could have a sensitivity to gluten and even that can be dangerous to your health.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

I agree
  • neanderthin
    Options
    The gluten free trend that is consumer driven is still in it's growth stage and will benefit people that actually have celiac or have some intolerance (diagnosed) for the rest it's fashionable and expensive, which is another way of saying, sheep will get sheared.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just another food fad, I predict.

We saw the same thing years ago with the whole Atkins craze. Everyone and their cousin were shunning carbs. Newspapers and magazines were full of articles about it. TV news did stories about it. Restaurants starting having entire "Atkins" and "low carb" sections on their menu and touting the fact. Remember that?

After awhile, the bloom was off the rose. Your friends and coworkers stopped talking about it. The media stopped reporting on it. Restaurants might've kept a few token low-carb items, and/or the option to get your sandwich on a lettuce wrap, but that was about it. Things were back to normal for a bit.

This is no different. In the future, you'll turn on an episode of "Hey, Remember the 2010s?" on VH1 and they'll talk about how weird it was when half the planet went gluten-free for a couple of years for no good reason. You'll tell this fact to your children and they'll think you're making it up. :-)
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    This! I got celiac, my husband is just sensitive to it and even he feels ten times better without gluten. But what's up with people making a fuss out of the subject? If someone doesn't want gluten, let them. If you want to eat it, fine. Besides it doesn't have to be that much more expensive! Just don't replace it with crap which says 'gluten free' on the package! It's mostly garbage and just because it is mentioned you pay almost double for it. There is enough other food for sale which is naturally gluten free and don't have to cost a fortune!

Do you realize you don't have to have celiac disease to need to go gluten free? You could have a sensitivity to gluten and even that can be dangerous to your health.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My wife has Celiac disease, so she is off gluten entirely. I have decided to support her and eat my diet based off of hers, not because I have to, but because I want to. I have noticed after the past couple of years of not eating glutens that when I do, I become bloated, lethargic and generally don't feel very good. This could all be a placebo effect, I'm aware of that, but regardless I feel better not eating gluten and so will continue without it.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    ;) The sheep will get sheared; I like that. I kind of understand the carb thing though. The human race hasn't been eating refined carbs all that long. Just since civilization, and the need to feed so many people did we eat so much grain.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I totally understand going glutenfree when celiac or gluten sensitive.

For the rest, please let people make their own choices on what to eat.
    If someone wants to go gluten free cause they feel it's working for them, just let them.

Don't judge people based on things like this.
    And the reason why it's gone from non existent a decade ago to a multi-billion dollar business.........yes the cereal grain producers agree with you wholeheartedly.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

You do realize I do not have celiac disease, but since eliminating wheat from my diet, the pain from RA has reduced by about 80%, I'm off my medication for acid reflux, my twice weekly migraines have been completely eliminated and my doctor took me completely off my thyroid medication revealing a completely NORMAL thyroid panel.... Also, I used to suffer with bouts of vertigo and tennitus... now the vertigo is completely gone and the tennitus is still there but significantly reduced.

So I don't know if it's specifically "gluten" or some other component in wheat, but yeah, I avoid wheat and often rely on "gluten free" alternatives to allow me to have those occasional treats such as pizza.

Thanks for the advice sport, but I think I'll stick with my "fad diet".
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

You do realize I do not have celiac disease, but since eliminating wheat from my diet, the pain from RA has reduced by about 80%, I'm off my medication for acid reflux, my twice weekly migraines have been completely eliminated and my doctor took me completely off my thyroid medication revealing a completely NORMAL thyroid panel.... Also, I used to suffer with bouts of vertigo and tennitus... now the vertigo is completely gone and the tennitus is still there but significantly reduced.

So I don't know if it's specifically "gluten" or some other component in wheat, but yeah, I avoid wheat and often rely on "gluten free" alternatives to allow me to have those occasional treats such as pizza.

Awesome news! Yes, I have heard it a lot from people who do not have celiac, they feel better without gluten and/or lose weight much better! One can wonder how good grains still are these days? It is not the same stuff anymore people ate 100 years ago, think GMO etc...
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Some people have gluten sensitivity as well, there are different reasons for limiting or eliminating wheats all together.

Recently my 12 year old took a spell, hit her head and passed out, prior to this spell she ate a lot of breads and I am now going to have her checked for celiac (as well other reasons for this spell of course). I have cut out wheat but not 100% but am considering it especially now. Celiac runs in my daughters father's side of the family in the women and digestive issues on my side in women.

I am no doctor but from articles I have read our bodies were never meant to process the amount of wheat flour and other crap we consume in a run of a day. I myself am trying to get back to basics and get my family there as well, which is near impossible with teenagers but for us it seems like the better choice. But if it has no negative effect on you, there really doesn't seem to be a reason to change flours. There are many that have jumped on the "Gluten Free diet" without proper knowledge as to why people need it.

Also here in Canada, (not sure about anywhere else) if you are diagnosed with celiac you can claim your specialty foods on your income tax, you just save your receipts and you can claim your breads and specialty gluten free products...I just learned this myself found it interesting :)
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options

You may be allergic to gluten, my daughter does not have celiac, but she is allergic to gluten. She also has psoriasis very bad which is also connected to RA. We had an allergy test done to see if she eliminated certain things from her diet that it would help out her skin. Being gluten free actually helps her skin and her digestive system out tremendously, if she eats a small amount of gluten it messes up her stomach pretty bad.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Stomach pains, diarrhea, tiredness, arthritic joints, headaches, and no I don't have celiac. All my symptoms have gone or greatly improved since going g.f. and I am off my meds for the first time in 25 years. So dont jump to conclusion and assume people are idiots for eating this way . Some of us are just as educated or perhaps even more educated about g.f. than you.
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As far as nutrition goes, there is no benefit in eating gluten free (such as regular spaghetti versus gluten free spaghetti). But for those who are sensitive to it, it greatly benefits them.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    glad the popularity is growing for the people who are sensative, but I have noticed a large increase in people jumping on the bandwagon for no reason at all, oh well, guess thats their choice
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who are all "I feel so much better since cutting out grains!" but they are also 1) in a calorie deficit from restricting and 2) losing weight because of the forced deficit.

They blame gluten but really they probably just needed to eat less and lose some weight.

Also people love fads.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't care if people don't eat gluten for a real reason, but the amount of young women going into restaurants and saying their food must be gluten free because to them it's a fad is enough to make me roll my eyes at the subject.