I only count actual workouts

bethvandenberg
bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All

So is it wrong that I only count actual work outs for exercise? Some days I'm busier than others and yadda yadda and I just figure that's just my life. It's not actually a workout.

What do you all do?

Replies

• mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    i do the exact same thing as you thats how i see it
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    I believe that is exactly what you are supposed to do. That's why they offer different settings for lifestyle activity.
  • Yeah the only other thing I count than an "actual" workout is when I ride my bike to school and back. 6 miles. But i really get my heart rate up so I think it should count. However I wouldn't normally count cleaning or anything else - it's just tooo much to record.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    I only count my exercise, unless I do something like mopping all the floors in my house which is something i don't do on a daily basis. Other than that, I only count my actual workouts.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I only count when I go to the gym or turn on the Wii
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    just workouts except today when i had to shovel snow for two hours
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I usually only count my gym workouts. Occasionally I'll record a really long shopping trip if it involves tons and tons of walking, pushing my 100+ pound stroller (50 pound double stroller, two 25 pound kids, plus purse, bags, etc.), carrying my kids for an extended period of time, or marathon cleaning or cooking sessions (6 hours for Thanksgiving, at least 2 hours of both cooking and cleaning today, etc.).
  • I have my profile set to sedentary, and I only count actual workouts and long walks for the purpose of exercise (not a stroll, but a purposeful walk - which is always done either pushing a stroller or carrying my 20lb daughter in a baby carrier :) ). I'm a SAHM, so I don't count things like cleaning, shopping, etc, that's just part of my daily routine.
  • Pretty much workouts, unless I do a really heavy duty cleaning project at home. We just moved in a short time ago, so something that involves hauling boxes around and doing a lot of bendng and stretching and running back and forth where I feel like I'm working, I would record. And lots of walking, too, however even though I am a server and do a ton of running around the restaurant for 6-8 hours at a time, I do NOT record that, I do let that fall under lifestyle.
  • I walk over two miles to and from work so I count that but other than those I'm the same.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    For me if I purposely get up and say I am going to workout then I count it ie walking with my 2 Bichon Frise, working out to a DVD, treadmill etc otherwise I consider it normal routine :wink: (I use a HRM too)

In saying that if I was going out shopping I might add a percentage of the time but only if it was a huge day out which involved a LOT of walking lol :wink:
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    I only count when I go to the gym or turn on the Wii

This, + walks for me. But for walks, I don't typically count walking around at work or at the mall, but I do count it if I go for a walk or walk to the store/bank or spend the day somewhere like Disney where you're walking all day!
  • kensch
    kensch Posts: 3 Member
    Since I'm "car-free" and I use the bike for all my shopping / commuting to work / socializing I do count my minutes on the bike. But I try to log whether it's leisurely or whether I'm really working at it.

I don't count my walking - unless over an hour.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Since I'm "car-free" and I use the bike for all my shopping / commuting to work / socializing I do count my minutes on the bike. But I try to log whether it's leisurely or whether I'm really working at it.

I don't count my walking - unless over an hour.

I would count that as well. Today I did count moving boxes b/c I helped unload a truck full of produce this morning and it had to be carried up hill. I must've moved 30 heavy boxes and was sweating and it took a half an hour. :) But on the other side I didn't count going to the dump to unload my pick up of all the boxes that had to be carted away.
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    I count a lot-because i am just now becoming active. I will admit that I am for sure one of those lazy people you hear about. I have a desk job-and get in no exercise-until I joined this site about a month ago. For tracking purposes-on the reports-I track when I exercise on the wii, if I go for a walk during my lunch for the purpose of exercising, and when I strenuously clean the house. Not picking up-but actually doing the "dirty" work.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    I only count gym stuff unless I've been extremely busy at work with running around/lifting boxes/carrying loads of books. And then I will count it (moderately, just so I'm not over-estimating, lol)
This discussion has been closed.