Will I gain weight if I completely stop going to gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    "I won't have time." Is just another excuse. If it's important to you, you will MAKE the time. I used to be a Chef. I worked 14 days on a regular basis, came home put ice packs on my back and knee, took pain medicine just so I could get to sleep then woke up the next morning and did it again. However, I still MADE time to run a daily 5k (in the morning before work) or spend an hour doing body weight exercises or training martial arts, etc.

There is a truth to human behavior: "People DO what they want to do and DON'T do what they don't want to do." It comes down to your will. If you really WANT to work out, you will find a way.

But to answer your question: if you lower your calorie intake in relation to your activity, you can maintain on diet alone. It is a hell of a lot harder and requires much more diligence, but it is possible.

Was waiting for someone to post what was on my mind. Even if it is limited time, it's better than no time...but just find the time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was maintaining my weight before I join gym, and now I have to stop going to gym. Will I gain weight?
    I always ate my exercise calories back which is 300 so if I cut those cals will i be fine? I will probably be sedentary

That depends on your consumption...weight control is largely about diet...exercise is for fitness. If you move less you have to eat less...if your consumption matches your output you maintain regardless of your activity level...you just have to adjust consumption down if you're not doing anything. This is just math...
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    "I won't have time." Is just another excuse. If it's important to you, you will MAKE the time. I used to be a Chef. I worked 14 days on a regular basis, came home put ice packs on my back and knee, took pain medicine just so I could get to sleep then woke up the next morning and did it again. However, I still MADE time to run a daily 5k (in the morning before work) or spend an hour doing body weight exercises or training martial arts, etc.

There is a truth to human behavior: "People DO what they want to do and DON'T do what they don't want to do." It comes down to your will. If you really WANT to work out, you will find a way.

But to answer your question: if you lower your calorie intake in relation to your activity, you can maintain on diet alone. It is a hell of a lot harder and requires much more diligence, but it is possible.

Yes you are right i dont really want to go to the gym anymore. It really stress me and my body, i feel like its a burden. I'm no longer having fun there. I'm planning on cutting back my calories to before exercise
    I figured that. When I was in grad school and didn't want to get @$## done I would procrastinate. But I did it...and got my M.A.. I also ran my a couple marathons in grad school and held down a full time job. I'm not superwoman. Something tells me you know you're making excuses and you know what you should be doing if you don't want to put the weight right. Back. On. There are things in life we don't want to do, but should because its good for us. I can come up with a million justifications to not do something ie "I don't have time to do laundry ..I have a party to go to.." etc. In the end, if I don't get the results I want, the only one to blame is me.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    School is stressful. Finding TIME to get some level of physical activity in daily can be a key part of managing your mental health as well as your physical health. Many schools have gyms or exercise facilities available to students. Or you could make a point of making walking a greater part of your commute or daily activities (ie always take the stairs, park at the back of the lot etc.) There are some positive correlations between regular physical activity and academic performance for good reasons.
  • Debbied223
    Options
    I also stopped going to the gym - my weight did not change but I did loose muscle tone - so I look heavier. Try to get some exercise when you can - it does matter!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question. My husband is worried about the same thing -- he's an accountant, and when tax season starts, he barely has time to have a five-minute conversation with me, let alone exercise. He's worried that he'll stop losing or gain during those two months or so. I told him he'll just have fewer calories to eat each day.
    Those that preach the "you have to make the time" gospel have never been employed as an accountant during tax season.

I'm not an accountant, but I have seasonal work that makes exercise impractical for a 60 day stretch every year. I gained nearly 10lbs the last stretch. I called it "bulking" to make myself feel better :laugh: Once the season is over I get back on track. I've nearly dropped all the weight I gained and the strength returned fairly quickly. Knowing that I'm going to lose 2 months every year I work hard to make the other 10 months count.

As has already been said, cut calories to make up the difference if you have to give up on the exercise.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If I had a single suggestion, it would be to start walking every day (whenever you pick). Don't go for speed, just give yourself the time to walk and keep your body moving. Don't let it be stressful (which some workouts can be). I think that will help your body adjust to the drop off in intensity and keep you feeling good.

You may also need to re-evaluate your caloric intake as your body is no longer fueling your workouts.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question. My husband is worried about the same thing -- he's an accountant, and when tax season starts, he barely has time to have a five-minute conversation with me, let alone exercise. He's worried that he'll stop losing or gain during those two months or so. I told him he'll just have fewer calories to eat each day.
    Those that preach the "you have to make the time" gospel have never been employed as an accountant during tax season.

I'm not an accountant, but I have seasonal work that makes exercise impractical for a 60 day stretch every year. I gained nearly 10lbs the last stretch. I called it "bulking" to make myself feel better :laugh: Once the season is over I get back on track. I've nearly dropped all the weight I gained and the strength returned fairly quickly. Knowing that I'm going to lose 2 months every year I work hard to make the other 10 months count.

As has already been said, cut calories to make up the difference if you have to give up on the exercise.

Would you have been able to do a walk in the morning or evening of like 20 - 30 min during that time??
  • RKD63
    RKD63 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, If you post on here lots of resources for exercising in your home will be offered. I now have a similar problem where my work will cut into my gym time. Good luck. :wink:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Would you have been able to do a walk in the morning or evening of like 20 - 30 min during that time??
    Nope. I get home around 2am, crash for 6 hrs, get up, eat breakfast, pack 2 meals (lunch & dinner) and head back to work. That said, I get up from the desk and try to get in a 10 -15 minute walk a couple of times a day.

During the off season (now) I get up at 5:30am and bang out an hour of exercise 6 days a week. I love it. I have good energy levels and the exercise helps reduce the stress. I'm also getting more sleep 7 - 8 hrs. During the busy season losing an hour of sleep would be a detriment to recovery. I'm not going to function well on 5 hours sleep for weeks on end.

I may try to experiment next year. Modify my strength routine to 20 minutes a session for 2 days a week. Not much work, but better than stopping altogether and starting over again. Something to think about.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Nope. I get home around 2am, crash for 6 hrs, get up, eat breakfast, pack 2 meals (lunch & dinner) and head back to work. That said, I get up from the desk and try to get in a 10 -15 minute walk a couple of times a day.

During the off season (now) I get up at 5:30am and bang out an hour of exercise 6 days a week. I love it. I have good energy levels and the exercise helps reduce the stress. I'm also getting more sleep 7 - 8 hrs. During the busy season losing an hour of sleep would be a detriment to recovery. I'm not going to function well on 5 hours sleep for weeks on end.

I may try to experiment next year. Modify my strength routine to 20 minutes a session for 2 days a week. Not much work, but better than stopping altogether and starting over again. Something to think about.

Cool