Runners! How important is having multiple pairs of shoes?

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Now that my running has gotten quite serious, I'm trying to make sure I cover all my bases. All 3 stores I've talked to told me I should buy two pairs of sneakers and switch out. Their logic sounds solid but at the same time, two $100+ pairs of shoes is a little daunting (even though technically I'd only need to buy one more pair) and coming from a shop, I can't help but feel like maybe they are just looking to get the most bang for my buck.

Do you have two (or more) pairs of sneakers? Do you rotate them out every time you run? If you do have more than one pair, do you have several of the same or some different ones?

Let's just say that if I didn't have a few pairs of shoes to rotate through (allowing the most recently used to fully air out and dry between my runs) that my wife would kick me and my shoes out of the house.

I usually buy one pair every 3 months, that way you are breaking in a new pair and have one that is already 3 months in. Depends on mileage though. I don't run as much as I used to so I could get away with more.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    This has been a great discussion! Thank you all for your input. Right now I have a pair of NB 940 that are nearly a year old but have only recently started getting heavy use, and a brand new pair of Asics Gel Kayano 20. I will switch out with these two for awhile and then probably replace the NB because I know they're getting down there in wear.

Thank you all again!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of the same shoe - got fit for them at a shop.
    I <3 my Saucony Guide 7s. (Really never thought I'd say that - before my last fit, I had no luck with Sauconys).

I have learned today that having Doug (SonicDeathMonkey) is expensive.
    I've got two more pairs of my shoes sitting in my cart on Amazon now lol
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    From those that run in minimal For road? I believe Not important at all. In fact, it's often a recipe for I N J U R Y (contrary to other opinions)

Why is it a recipe for injury?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of the same shoe - got fit for them at a shop.
    I <3 my Saucony Guide 7s. (Really never thought I'd say that - before my last fit, I had no luck with Sauconys).

I have learned today that having Doug (SonicDeathMonkey) is expensive.
    I've got two more pairs of my shoes sitting in my cart on Amazon now lol

I don't have a finance department :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had one pair at a time. That said, I live in a place where it's very dry most of the year (humidity under 20% and often in single digits) and I usually only run every other day. If it were an issue of my shoes needing to dry between runs I'd probably own two pairs. I buy a new pair every year or so and then use the old ones as gym shoes or to wear around the house.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I get 250 miles out of my shoes whether I rotate or not. After 250 miles any mild discomfort or soreness (rarely) gives way to subtle prickly pins and needles pains in my legs.

It may be beneficial to rotate shoes if athletes foot becomes an issue or if your shoes often get wet. I've had to do that. One pair goes into isolation with foot spray and dry air while the other gets fungal while I run.

I'm not sure I believe the notion that running shoes soles need much time to recover. Sounds like marketspeak. It'd be cool to see a study, though.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I would buy just one pair that the store recommend -- I presume after a gait analysis and see how you get on with them. THEN keep an eye out on online sales etc to pick up another pair. I live in a very wet part of the country and run 5 out of 7 days so they can get a bit wet and stinky.

^^^^^ This.

Because if you buy another pair the same you can start breaking them in before your current pair wears out. Then you won't go straight from trashed old shoes to stiff new ones.

^^^^ and this.

Also, keep track of your mileage per shoe. runningahead.com allows you to upload your runs from other loggers and also has a field to keep track of what shoe you wore for that run.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Because if you buy another pair the same you can start breaking them in before your current pair wears out. Then you won't go straight from trashed old shoes to stiff new ones.

^^^^ and this.

Also, keep track of your mileage per shoe. runningahead.com allows you to upload your runs from other loggers and also has a field to keep track of what shoe you wore for that run.

You should never never never never never never ever need to "break-in" running shoes. Just sayin...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as "breaking in" per se, merely aging them so that the transition from old to new isn't as harsh.

I have a pair that have done about 400 miles that are noticeably more battered than the pair that have done 200, the structure is different and the wear pattern on the sole is very different.

That said I'm a significant overpronator, and that shows up on the shoe.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have at least 10 pair, from very cushioned (altra torin, which I actually hate, but run in from time to time) to very minimalist (merrell vapor). I like to mix up the stress on my legs. My main shoe is the Saucony Virrata (zero drop, cushioned) which I use across all distances. I have 4 pair of those, with various amounts of miles on them. I still use the first pair I bought a couple years ago. The cushion is about gone in them, but they are still comfortable and have a more minimal feel to them. I also have a pair of trail shoes, but they don't get much use, as I am not much of trail runner. I also own a couple pair of Mizuno's (Levitas and Cursoris)

My personal opinion is to use the flattest, least cushioned shoe that is comfortable, and focus on strengthening the legs, instead of depending on the shoe store to fit you properly. A little experimentation will go a long way. This is a long, but worthwhile, read: http://strengthrunning.com/2010/09/minimalist-running-shoes-injuries-and-qualifying-for-boston-an-interview-with-runblogger’s-pete-larson/
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

^^^^ and this.

You should never never never never never never ever need to "break-in" running shoes. Just sayin...

I don't need to break mine in! I was just responding to the poster who said his current shoes were broken in and comfy. Though I'd want to have worn a pair at least a couple of times before running a marathon in them.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    On trails I need a harder sole shoe so I don't feel every sharp edge. On roads I need more cushion. I truly believe a built up heel is bad for you. Overly structured shoes that address gait (pronation, supination or whatever) don't work for me. A shoes that feels low to the ground is preferable to me since I feel like I am more likely to roll an ankle on a built up shoe.

I wear more minimal zero drop shoes on shorter days. I wear more cushioned shoes on longer runs. Injuries are more likely from repetitive overuse, lack of cross training, lack of stretching/yoga, lack of weight training, inadequate sleep or diet and just general stress. Barefoot running (type shoes) are minimal and foster a better gait. Cushion masks the impact and runners strike the ground with more force.

Shoes are not the single issue regarding any of this but wearing just one pair of running shoes is not ideal.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    you don't have to buy them at the same time. you can buy one pair now, and one pair later. i think the whole multiple pair of sneakers is just so that you give them a chance to breathe. running shoes can get funky!! at the moment i have about 4 pairs of running sneakers.

^This. Only I have 5 pairs ~ am into odd numbers. :smile:

** For me, I like to clean them between each use and sun them. Old island habit. lol
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    In to follow.

I have a cushy pair for hard surfaces and a minimalist pair for softer surfaces. Plus old pairs I use for mud runs.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I have 11 pairs.... 8 for the roads, 3 for the trails.... I constantly rotate them..never wear the same shoe twice in a row.... they are all minimalist and all but one pair are zero drop... I am convinced the constant change is good for my feet, ankles, knees, etc because they are never getting repetitively beat on the same way day after day....

Plus I'm a shoe diva and can't stop buying them...
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I used to rotate among a few different models of shoe. I probably would still do so if I weren't marathon training. Once I started getting into higher distances, only one shoe that I've tried so far worked for me. Every other shoe had some sort of issue that became apparent only on runs > 10 miles. Some caused IT Band pain, some caused ankle pain, some rubbed my foot wrong, some caused plantar fasciitis. Kind of annoying, really. It's like my body is more finicky than I could have imagined.

I now own two pair of my shoe of choice (Kinvara) and rotate them since they are pretty foamy shoes that need time to reset.

That said, I still believe in the biomechanics are different in an advantageous way argument and am still on the hunt for at least one more model. I have my eye on Altras but I don't think I will bother on this cycle of training since I'm just two weeks from the taper.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

^^^^ and this.

Good point. I know I never have.
  • Vupe
    Vupe Posts: 80
    Options
    I have two faithful pairs that I switch out same brand and model just different colors. Off days/hours are on bare feet or flip flops.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I've keep 3 pairs in rotation.

1st is my racing flats, min support and extremely light weight (around 8 oz) These are my actual racing shoes. I do two runs a week in these, my weekend long run and my speed work week day run.

2nd is my stability/more cushioned pair. Same brand/manufacuter as my racing flats so the feeling is the same but its a bit heavier shoe with more cushion and stability (around 10 oz). I use these on all other days as it helps recovery from the racing flats and keeps my form better on my tired feet. It's amazing how you can feel the difference of just two ounces on your feet btw.

3rd is my trail shoes bc, well, trails are fun as hell but if you go into a really fun trail in dedicated road shoes then you are gonna have a bad time kissing the dirt and screwing up your shoes.