new to site. obese & have multiple sclerosis

Options
I'm a 32 mother of 4 who was just diagnosed with MS within the last year. It has already taken a toll on my body. I've gained over 50 lbs & I wasn't exactly in shape to start with. I feel like I have tried everything with no.success so am hoping this site can provide the motivation & encouragement I am lacking. I count calories & have recently started working out again. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to lose about 90 lbs. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Welcome. My advice - try not to do everything at once, but start small steps. For example, just count your calories at first, than add some small exercise, then when you feel comfortable increase that, etc. I find it really demotivating if I do too much in one go - i..e force myself to do demanding exercise when I am unfit and not ready. I find it hard to do anything on willpower alone. I have to FEEL that I want to do it, if you know what I mean!

Also it helps to make many friends (on the site) so they can keep encouraging you and you can follow their progress as well. It really works!

And also - 4 kids WOW - I don't think there is anything YOU can't do! I have one and I am constantly wondering how people can survive more than one!

Good luck!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm a 32 mother of 4 who was just diagnosed with MS within the last year. It has already taken a toll on my body. I've gained over 50 lbs & I wasn't exactly in shape to start with. I feel like I have tried everything with no.success so am hoping this site can provide the motivation & encouragement I am lacking. I count calories & have recently started working out again. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to lose about 90 lbs. Thanks in advance!

Hi!

Welcome to MFP!

All I would be able to advise is to log absolutely everything you eat and drink and stick to your allotted daily calorie allowance. It is amazing how food and drink is underestimated in its calories.

Regarding your working out, just take it easy and slowly, if you look upon all this as a lifestyle change for life rather than a diet to lose weight, you will not only find it a hell of a lot easier, but the weight wil stay off afterwards.

All the very best to you, you can definitely do this, sending you a friend request if that's ok xxx
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    Welcome and Good Luck on your journey.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Well first off you are not alone =) And congrads on coming here. You can do this and there are others on this site that have MS and are loosing beautifully. Good luck Tiff
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: You've come to the right place!! =) Everyone is so amazing here, you have found encouragement, acceptance, and alot of :heart: ! There is an overwhelming amount of information to learn and read and enjoy.....:smile:
    Log every single bite!!! that is what really keeps me on track!!
    and I definately agree with Stella!!! Don't try to see change over night, I have done that so many times, and that is why I quit!!! :noway: This is the first time I've stuck with taking care of me..... and its changed my life!!
    I'm so glad you are here!! add lots of friends, check in every single day!!! :drinker:
    You are not alone!!!!:flowerforyou:
    I'm sorry to hear about your MS. My sister was diagnosed with it when she was 21. She is now 45. Take care of YOU. =)
    Stac