What do you eat with oatmeal?

Options
Okay basically my situation is that I'm trying to save a little bit of money. I am planning to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I have a ton of oatmeal and grits just sitting in my cabinet because I bought them both in bulk at the beginning of summer. Looking back, I can't imagine why I did that, but here we are. Anyway, I am planning to buy some eggs and sausage to eat with the grits so that I can get rid of them but I can't really think of anything to buy to eat with the oatmeal. The only things I can really think of are bread or maybe fruit so that I can have oatmeal and toast. Any ideas?

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    fruit goes good with oatmeal. you can put oatmeal in smoothies too.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like putting stuff in my oatmeal. I cook it with apples, sweet potatoes, craisins, raisins, and/or nuts and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger. I'm not a fan of cooking it with banana but I like the way it tastes mixed in afterwards. I also sub the water with 1/4 part almond milk for a slightly creamier texture. FYI, this is with steel cut oats but I think it would work just fine with quick/rolled oats too.

I'm pretty sure eggs and sausage would go well with the oatmeal too. Or pair it with greek yogurt, cottage cheese or even protein powder.
  • Brunette_H
    Brunette_H Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like it with a (small) drizzle of honey or maple syrup, a sprinkle of cinnamon and some raisins.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It's already got carbs, you don't need to add toast for more carbs, you need something that adds protein & a little fat.
    I've read that some people mix in peanut butter or almond butter.
    I like fruit (apples, bananas, peaches), walnuts, honey.
    And of course cinnamon &/or cardamom are always good.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I like to mix in plain Fage total yogurt get my protein carbs and fat all in one meal. I guess you could mix in any kind of yogurt
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I like putting stuff in my oatmeal. I cook it with apples, sweet potatoes, craisins, raisins, and/or nuts and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger. I'm not a fan of cooking it with banana but I like the way it tastes mixed in afterwards. I also sub the water with 1/4 part almond milk for a slightly creamier texture. FYI, this is with steel cut oats but I think it would work just fine with quick/rolled oats too.

I'm pretty sure eggs and sausage would go well with the oatmeal too. Or pair it with greek yogurt, cottage cheese or even protein powder.

I do the same as above, and love it. I also use mainly steel cut oats (I soak 'em overnight in almond milk & water mixture) but the same combinations of nuts, fruit, etc, work in "regular" oats too.

As for the second idea about a savory type of oatmeal, I personally don't care for that but my husband has done an Asian inspired type of savory oatmeal with green onion, egg & soy sauce. I think he liked it pretty well...maybe worth a try.

OP, if you are tired of oatmeal after awhile...more ideas to use up the oats would be protein bites/balls (mix with peanut butter, flaxseed, etc...lots of recipes online) or fridge oats (mixing 1/4 or 1/8 cup of oats with some Greek yogurt and fruit overnight, for a nice thick texture in the AM).
  • BanffJasper
    BanffJasper Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I sweeten with pure maple syrup (little goes a long way) and add chopped walnuts and/or cinnamon.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Bananas, walnuts and brown sugar

Cinnamon and apples

Mixed berries and brown sugar or fake sugar

Peanut butter and sugarless grape jelly.

Peaches and half&half

I forgot the raisins.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i cook my oatmeal with 1 whole egg, brown sugar and some blueberries. sometimes i'll sprinkle some flax in it for the fiber like another poster mentioned. yummies.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Fruit is great. I also stir in some peanut butter...

My go to is 2 tbsp peanut butter and a handful of dried cranberries or raisins...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin puree, cinnamon and walnuts.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I always make my oatmeal with half water and half milk. I then saute a bit of apple using some butter flavored Pam. I bit of Splenda brown sugar and some cinnamon and you have an excellent treat.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Okay basically my situation is that I'm trying to save a little bit of money. I am planning to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I have a ton of oatmeal and grits just sitting in my cabinet because I bought them both in bulk at the beginning of summer. Looking back, I can't imagine why I did that, but here we are. Anyway, I am planning to buy some eggs and sausage to eat with the grits so that I can get rid of them but I can't really think of anything to buy to eat with the oatmeal. The only things I can really think of are bread or maybe fruit so that I can have oatmeal and toast. Any ideas?

Flour.....just put it in a food processor, grind it up, and you get a flour that has a slightly nutty flavor.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Milk, almond milk, fruit, cinnamon
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I use ground up oats in the place of breadcrumbs in recipes.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    At the end of cooking I like to stir in one whole egg (or 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt), a bit of butter, diced banana and some half and half or soy creamer. I also like to make overnight oatmeal with dried fruits and chia seeds. Combining oatmeal and peanut butter is always good too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just put fruit and milk in it (I also like steel cut oats), but I occasionally buy it when I have to leave super early and don't make breakfast, and a place around here makes it with protein powder too, if you use that. I've thought of trying that.

Otherwise, I'd probably have an egg or some other protein source with it on the side.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin puree, cinnamon and walnuts.

OMG! How did I never think to do this?!?!?!