Free Weights Vs. Machines

Options
jamszy
jamszy Posts: 123 Member
I'm trying the "home workout" routine with my trusty elliptical and treadmill, but I'm missing the muscle building exercises the weight machines at the gym provided. Is it possible to achieve the same results with free weights and an adjustable bench?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Damn straight, free weights are the way to go IMO.

Compound lifts give you more bang for your buck as compared to isolated lifts.

Edited to add more.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I am starting to prefer free weights much more. I like the strong lifts program which needs a Squat Rack, bench press and and a Bar, but many of the exercises can be achieved with free weights. I'm sure there are plenty of people here with more experience with at home free weight programs. Good luck+++
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Free weights > Weight machines
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes. You'll do just fine without access to machines
  • johnrossmckay
    johnrossmckay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sure.

Try "compound lifts" that use lots of muscles together. Weights are not that expensive.

If anything, it is better than using machines because it is more like real life.

Stuff like http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118920551
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    What they said! Free weights are the way to go! At home it'll be an initial investment...but the return on that investment will be worth it!
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I have a set of adjustable dumbbells (I have no room for a barbell or squat rack), and as I get stronger I order heavier plates for them. You can do a lot of compound exercises with dumbbells and get a great workout! I use the site exrx.net, and I look for the exercises that use dumbbells or just bodyweight. It will tell you what muscles are worked, and there is a video for each exercise demonstrating proper form.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Free Weights FTW

Just my humble opinion
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    yes, same to better