Don't freak out about a small scale gain

Options
I used to freak about about a day I gained on my scale, even though I was always told "weight loss isn't linear, don't worry it is probably temporary, plus our bodies are sometimes really weird"

After I finally started to learn & understand it, I thought it would be fun to just see exactly how weird our bodies are and track my weight almost every day, here is a graph of the past couple of months.

3IOP8Rx.png

As you can see, WEIGHT LOSS IS NOT LINEAR! Everyday will not be a loss, some days will stay the same and some days you will gain. As long as the general trend is downward, it is good. And for those wondering, that one big spike on there was after a very salty day, it was a temporary 5 pound gain, that went away quickly, then a couple of days later I was at my goal of being below 300.

Replies

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm still pretty new at this and my picture is showing up REALLY large, any help?
  • HappyBlues
    HappyBlues Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    TinyPic.com you can upload and resize the pictures. If you right click on the pic you did post and select open in new tab it shows the whole picture.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congrats for your weight loss! Can you please let me know what app are you using? It looks better than the one I am.
  • amcook4
    Options
    TinyPic.com you can upload and resize the pictures. If you right click on the pic you did post and select open in new tab it shows the whole picture.

damn, tinypic is blocked at work :( Oh well, I'll plan ahead next time. Thanks for the help though!
  • amcook4
    Options
    Congrats for your weight loss! Can you please let me know what app are you using? It looks better than the one I am.

I use monitor your weight on my Android. It is very simple and easy to use. The only issue I have is that I can't export the data, I love playing around with data (yeah, I'm a bit weird) And thank you!
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! I have an app (Trendweight I believe), but I rarely get to step on the scale in the morning without my son "helping" me by pressing on it. I do try to weigh myself several days a week to get a more accurate picture of what my body is doing. If I weigh in every Monday and I happen to get a low weight day the first time, it can look like I'm not losing for weeks afterward--and then If I'm unlucky enough to weigh on high water retention days, it can start to look like a plateau! It's good to see others who don't freak out over fluctuations!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Good for you, no longer flipping out. :)

That's a cool chart. I wish MFP was more like that.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I use monitor your weight on my Android. It is very simple and easy to use. The only issue I have is that I can't export the data, I love playing around with data (yeah, I'm a bit weird) And thank you!

Thank you, will try it. Now I have app Libra. It is ok, has data export but prediction is kind of weird. Or maybe it is just me not knowing to put on right settings :grumble:

I weight daily, Wednesday is usually my lowest. But yeah, it goes up and down. Body is a weird thing. Always impressing me :happy:
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to be too panicky over my scale weight anymore, but this is reassuring. Mostly because I've been having some high-salt days lately and not drinking much water, and my weight has gone up 1-2lbs, so I was starting to freak out a bit but... clearly just need to drink some more water and this too shall pass!