Eating out at local restaurants

Options
Hi Everyone! I am starting over on MFP. I lost about 10 lbs using MFP in February-April of this year, then stopped tracking all together and gained it all back. I just restarted last week. I think that one of the things that was hard for me last time was tracking foods when I went out to eat. At big chain restaurants, nutrition info is posted online, and I'll use that to accurately track what I am eating. But at smaller local joints, they usually don't have nutrition information posted online or in the restaurant. I am wondering how everyone else deals with this? When I can't accurately track, I tend to get frustrated and give up for the day, which can lead to overeating. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Replies

• bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just search for something that is similar to what I ate and use that. I also err on the side of caution and use the bigger portion amount.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I just search for something that is similar to what I ate and use that. I also err on the side of caution and use the bigger portion amount.

I do the same. And if a dish tastes suspiciously rich or oily, I will log an extra teaspoon or two of butter or oil.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Yep, this. You can always ask the server for a bit of information too, say you are ordering a cheeseburger, you could find out if the bugers are 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 pound patty's. It is a lot of guesswork, just do the best you can.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    And avoid fried foods, ask for condiments/sauces on the side etc. It is annoying though, especially when restaurants don't always have healthier looking options, and only sandwiches etc.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I find that if there isn't any info available I don't try to estimate because you could be way over or under anyway.
  • hoktauri
    hoktauri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pretty much like the others say, try and guess based on what you know. Yesterday I had a meatball parm sub for dinner at a local place and used the subway one for reference with a note that sodium wasn't really that high.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this. I order the same stuff all the time- so it winds up not being a crazy guess.

Also- ask for all condiments on the side- you can control them that way and not have to guess the butter content.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I do the same. And if a dish tastes suspiciously rich or oily, I will log an extra teaspoon or two of butter or oil.

Same here to both responses quoted.

Unless you are eating out daily or 4-5 times per week, it shouldn't make THAT big of an impact on your overall logging, OP.

Another option is to log a chain restaurant's similar item - I see one poster here does that with Subway, I have done the same. It's not exact of course but works. There's a local hamburger place I love and their burgers remind me a lot of Steak N' Shake quality and type, but a larger size...so if I get a single burger there I log a double S&S steakburger.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I used to let this get to me so much. It would derail me every time. Plus, I would get irrationally mad every time someone suggested we go eat somewhere that didn't have nutrition facts, which happens a lot because I generally prefer to eat local and people know that about me. I've been doing what the others suggested and looking up the info for the same dish at other locations. I usually try to check several entries to find the one that best fits what I ate. I also look for menu items that appear to be a healthier choice so that I'm already setting myself on the right track. Going forward, I'm trying to look at how these estimated meals impact my week to determine if I might need to adjust up or down if I eat the same dish again.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the issue is more about your frustration and giving up - I'd work on that aspect of the challenge. Everything is an estimate (even the stuff that chain restaurants post, etc.) so this isn't an exact science. Do your best, and track that you're losing at about the rate expect to be losing; readjust as necessary. Try not to let that bit of uncertainty about one particular meal cause you to chuck the whole logging endeavor for the day!