After dinner help?

Options
Does anyone have any tips for NOT snacking after dinner? I tend to struggle with having a snack. I usually try to make dinner the last thing I eat. Sometimes I find it hard not to snack? Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on this?

#notdoneyet

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I specifically save calories for this. :)

I love having a snack while I catch up on DVRed things or crunchyroll. Save some for it!
  • akgreen324
    akgreen324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I love having a snack while I catch up on DVRed things or crunchyroll. Save some for it!

^^ Definitely this. If I know I don't have enough, I work out harder or something. Some other things I do too are brush my teeth after dinner or drink a big glass of tea with some natural honey. Then I see I don't really have the snacking urges any more
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I do the same. I will ALWAYS want an evening snack, so I arrange my meals to allow 200-300 (or more, sometimes :wink: ) for evening eats.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I started eating later and added my snack into my dinner -- sometimes I eat it with my meal, sometimes I save it for after my bike ride. I don't know if you have this option, but you could definitely save a few calories for after dinner. There is no harm in eating after a certain time.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stop fighting the feeling. If you want to snack after diner, budget calories for it. Increase your protein, fat, and fiber during the day so you could stay fuller and leave some calories for snacks. Life without snacks and booze sucks!
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always save some room for a snack *coughcoughdessertcough* after dinner. I have a slightly OCD with having something sweet after a meal. If it is something you are really struggling with, don't fight it! Make appropriate choices :)
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry, or just feel like you should snack after dinner?

If you're hungry, do what people above said and start budgeting for it! I usually save about 200 calories at the end of the day for something sweet, and then if I'm not hungry, I just don't eat anything and just get a couple hundred extra calories deficit for the week.

For the days when I don't budget but am still feeling snacky after dinner, I usually do something light like a handful of berries, or my newest trick, having a pickle or two! They are pretty low calorie and make me feel like I am eating something substantial.

If you're actually not hungry and just feeling like you should have a snack after dinner-resist! Drink some water or do something to occupy yourself so you're not just wandering into the kitchen and having little bites of snacks-they add up!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat berries or lettuce or something low-cal.

But mostly, it's just a bad habit that you need to break.

Like a spoiled child, you'll probably rebel when you tell yourself "No" after being told "Yes" so many times in the past. If you told yourself "No" a lot and then caved in and said "Yes", it will be even harder. But, just like the spoiled child who was indulged too much, once you learn discipline, it gets much easier. You won't be having temper tantrums and insisting you get your way. You'll just live a happily disciplined life.

It is worth doing, even if you get frustrated with your bratty self. ;):)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care when you eat. There's no reason you shouldn't have a night-time snack. I always leave calories for that because I know that for whatever reason, I can get through the day just fine but I will be hungry at night. Have your snack and enjoy it! :drinker:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Eat berries or lettuce or something low-cal.

But mostly, it's just a bad habit that you need to break.

Like a spoiled child, you'll probably rebel when you tell yourself "No" after being told "Yes" so many times in the past. If you told yourself "No" a lot and then caved in and said "Yes", it will be even harder. But, just like the spoiled child who was indulged too much, once you learn discipline, it gets much easier. You won't be having temper tantrums and insisting you get your way. You'll just live a happily disciplined life.

It is worth doing, even if you get frustrated with your bratty self. ;):)

or I'll just eat a pint of Talenti at night like I always do and call it a day because I'm an adult and I know how to structure my day to make things I enjoy fit.
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of herbal tea after dinner as a signal to my brain that eating time is done for the day. It takes a while to finish a cup, and by the time I'm done, the craving to eat more is usually gone and doesn't come back. If I'm legitimately still hungry after that I'll certainly find something else to eat, but 9 times out of 10, the urge to keep eating was just habit / boredom / my brain not registering that I was full yet.