Need advice on sweating into my shoes

Options
As I've gotten more fit over the past couple years, I've noticed that I sweat. A lot. (I've always been a sweaty guy. Finding a good anti-perspirant litterally took me years.) Anyways, during this summer I've noticed that when I run for an hour or more, my shorts are drenched and the sweat is puddling in my shoes to the point my feet go "squish". I can easily sweat 4 or 5 pints in an hour. My last half marathon, when I took off my shoes, two of my toes had abrassions on the tops, due to chafing from my socks.

So, the question is "Any one have suggestions to reduce the squishiness in my shoes?"

Some options I've seen elsewhere include:

Wool socks - natural wicking helps keep feet drier and reduce chafing
Spray anti-perspirant on feet - I don't think my feet are particularly sweaty. My shoes are just where the sweat collects.
Calf sleeves - not sure, but I think the sleeves help give the sweat more time to evaporate before trickling into my shoes.
Drill holes in the bottom of shoes for drainage.

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I would look above the feet first. Are your running shorts/shirts wicking fabric so it will pull moisture from your body and evaporate it? Anything cotton will get wet and stay wet until it drips.

You mentioned several good options above for your feet. I would make sure your socks are wicking and double walled socks help reduce blisters/hot spots/abrasions. Perhaps a gaiter? Probably calf sleeves will be more effective.

Good luck!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Yep, shorts & shirst are all performance fabrics.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Extreme, but you can actually get botox in your feet to stop them from sweating. You can get it anywhere, but it's probably not good to cease sweating completely :)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Anti-blister socks are moisture-wicking and might be lighter and more comfortable than wool. They're like $10+ per pair (to my recollection) but they do work.

You could also try leggings/pants that wick moisture, instead of shorts -- this will catch more.

Are your shoes getting 100% dry in between runs? Because if not, they may absorb less, which results in the pooling. You could buy a second pair and rotate using them if you can't come up with a way to reliably get them completely dry.

Some powder in the shoes might help. You can also powder your legs and feet. Baby powder would probably be fine, although various brands do make special powders.
  • hermann341
    Options
    I have wicking socks, but anti-blister sounds like a possibility as well.

Not sure how I feel about wearing full leggings during summer.

I rotate 3 pairs of shoes, so they each get about a week to dry between runs.

Botox is out. This isn't about my feet sweating too much, it's about my whole body sweating and where it ends up (which is in my shoes).

I've got 10 miles scheduled for Saturday and it's going to be hot and humid. I will give my calf sleeves a try and see how those work. I've got some ideas to work with, but I don't want to try everything at once or I might not figure out what works best.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Extreme, but you can actually get botox in your feet to stop them from sweating. You can get it anywhere, but it's probably not good to cease sweating completely :)

I believe the OP sweats from above the feet and then Mr Gravity brings the sweat to the feet. OP I sweat like a stuck pig on long runs. Socks make the difference for me and slightly larger sneaker(like most folks who run). Hope this helps.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options

I believe the OP sweats from above the feet and then Mr Gravity brings the sweat to the feet. OP I sweat like a stuck pig on long runs. Socks make the difference for me and slightly larger sneaker(like most folks who run). Hope this helps.

While this little bit of information won't help the OP (I would personally go with the compression suggestions)... ahem..pigs don't sweat Terrapin...lol...but I can see where a turtle would get confused.. :wink:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    :P Turtles do not live in the country. And I think wool socks and/or compression socks could work. Turtles struggle wearing compression socks. We move slow enough as it is.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I use a drying powder and put them in my shoes, I also have two pairs right now that I alternate wearing soon to pick up a third, I use those danskin socks that help keep my feet dry too.
  • hermann341
    Options
    Calf sleeves added an extra mile or mile and a half before the onset of squishy foot. I've got some old shoes I think I'll try adding drainage holes.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    That's Why I Don't Wear Socks And Wear Shoes That Drain Water Out Quickly... I Don't Mind The Squish And I Never Get blisters